Usefull information for Pyrotechnical stunts in movies

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

DaveP

Usefull information for Pyrotechnical stunts in movies

Post by DaveP »

Well, I thought I'd post some useful little bits of information for anybody that wants to get involved in pyrotechnics in movies. Any members can add as they wish, and it will make a useful reference guide to those interested.

It's easy enough to say you want to be a pyrotechnition. You go down the local DIY store, get a box of fireworks, and take em apart, and end up screwing up your garden.

Okay, it's fun, I do it often. But, if you really want to be doing 'pyrotechnic stunts' that are for film, you need to source pure ingredients.

It doesn't look good if your actor blows up in a shower of sparks.

The following only applies to UK law:

To legally own black powder, there are a few things you need first.

-Firstly, you need to be 16, as this is the minimum age to apply for the various forms/registrations you need.

-Secondly, you need a CERTIFICATE TO ACQUIRE AND KEEP EXPLOSIVES. This is easy to obtain just by going to the local police station (don't worry, you wont get raped by an escaped convict if you go ). That lets you keep up to 15 kilo's, which is waay more than you'd ever need for any effect possible at this level of film making. Please note that this does NOT mean you can transport explosives via any vehicle. For this, you need extra certificates, etc. that I will talk about sooner or later

-Thirdly, you need a legal safe storage container for your black powder. The UK law states that:
Under the provisions of the Manufacture & Storage of Explosive Regulations 2005 containers of Black Powder must be kept in a box constructed of 18mm plywood
You can make one yourself, or buy one (at a quite inflated cost)

-Finally, you need to KNOW what you're messing with. Black powder burns. It's a fact. Burning things hurt. It's another fact. Consider getting various useful pieces of safety equipment, for example a face shield, or an easy to take off overall (Don't want to have black powder go off, burning your face and your best clothes, do you?)

Now, where to buy the powder. In the UK, Black powder is hard to buy. It's a fact. I don't know of any shops locally that stock it in the Surrey area, and the only online shop I know of is www.black-powder.co.uk

This site is not only a good place to buy powder of all kinds and legal storage boxes, but also has a good amount of useful information regarding the law and how to use the powder effectively. :P
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Usefull information for Pyrotechnical stunts in movies

Post by ctbullet »

cool information on the laws which i didn't no, do you have any information on the malipulation of the powder,

i.e containing it or amounts for different size explosions
thanks
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com