A spaceship in a field composite.

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Hinchu

A spaceship in a field composite.

Post by Hinchu »

Hey folks, I guess this is my first post. I just stumbled across this forum awhile back. I dunno, we'll give it a whirl.

I figured I'd show off a CG composite I'm working on. This is just the first real thing added. I'm going to add more.

600kbish, 6ish seconds.

I modelled the ship in Lightwave, and then composited everything in After Effects. Basically I shot the video first. Color corrected it. Then I lit and animated a scene with the spaceship. Then I rendered a black and white shadow mat. Then I combined them all together in After Effects.

I'll post my progress whenever I make more.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: A spaceship in a field composite.

Post by Clarence »

Very good; the shadow was a nice touch.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

thats very good except the ship is too dark to see its design.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

Looks good! My only complaint is that the ship moves too fast -- it looked fairly large, so you expect a somewhat "exaggerated" takeoff speed, instead of just floating off the ground so quickly. It looked a bit cartoonish.

Other than that it was very good!
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Spartan_Monkey

Post by Spartan_Monkey »

OutcastJiob wrote:Looks good! My only complaint is that the ship moves too fast -- it looked fairly large, so you expect a somewhat "exaggerated" takeoff speed, instead of just floating off the ground so quickly. It looked a bit cartoonish.
No way that was perfect speed, if it went any slower it would look all.....crappy. Nice job though.
Ewwwww....... is that a bit of Covenant on my helmet?
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

Sorry, didn't mean speed. I meant the acceleration--to me, it seems to accelerate a bit too fast. That might just be me, of course.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I like it.
Hinchu

Post by Hinchu »

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'm going to lighten up the ship, and bring out some of the highlights. I think some sound will help account for the motion of the ship. A nice struggling whine of the engines firing up. I guess I forgot to add the lights on the engines. I also need to add some other layers of effects to get it all working together. I'm thinking about trying this trick and make the camera oh-so-slightly shakey, so it doesn't look so still. It looked good on an overexaggerated test shot.

Now to see what I can do with this steady cam I just built :)
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

Its good work and if you want tips to get it totally realistic here are some that i use often.

Since you are usingt Lightwave you should use a plain white skydome to render the global illumination onto the model and bake it to use as a diffuse map. This saves having to have radiosity on for all the renders.

Also theres nothing interesting about the ship to suggest how it is powered. whether its rockets a weird glow or blue flames just like starwarz lol this just gives the imagery some dynamics instead of a flat rendered thing in a locked down shot.

Also you could look at some luminosity maps to make the ship look like theres small windows or extra detail just to break up the model a bit more.

the shadow is good and if you want to improove how it interacts with the environment you will need to add real world phenomenon like maybe some dust or some grass beinf blown about just something that affects the environment to suggest its realism.... maybe even birds flying out of the trees when you turn the ship on.

uhh lets see.. use a light blue light from above to simulate the blue light from the sky hitting the ship. but also dont make the light too bright or the contrast in the shot will look off.

remember tho if your render doesnt look right when you export it dont worry if you have compositing software you can tweak it... lightwave automatically exports alpha channels in its movies. so even color correcting both layers would be possible

thats all i can think of now other than i was going to say the movement... use curves in your animation using graph editor maybe you do already i dunno but it will get the nice acceleration animation when the ship rises of the ground and takes off because i agree it needs to look heavier.
Hinchu

Post by Hinchu »

aaronv2 wrote:Its good work and if you want tips to get it totally realistic here are some that i use often.
Wow, thanks. Those are some good tips. I'll have to give them a whirl. I might try some of those on some othe renders I do in the future. I'm going to add an engine glow and some dust/heat distortion effects as well. I'll probably tweak the motion, cause I'm getting a lot of comments on that. Motion is f*** hard to get look right.

And ya, post processing the image is always a must.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

thats cause its a science and an art all mixed into one... and science usually ruins art haha
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]