Directors with creative angles

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

CORPSE GRINDER

Directors with creative angles

Post by CORPSE GRINDER »

Who are your favorite directors for using clever/tricky/amazing/weird/unique camera angles and tricks in their films?

Hitchcock is probably the choice of many but try to think of some more...branch out a little.

Describe the techniques and tricks they used.

We can brainstorm to spawn ideas for our own films.
"This is when I saw the dark figures moving about in the woods. I should have never tampered with the 'Book Of The Dead.' I now know that whatever it is I have resurrected through this book, is coming for me."

--The Evil Dead
Solomon Cloud

Post by Solomon Cloud »

I alway's liked Sam Raimi (evil dead was just amazing in a artistic sense.
And Baz Lurman (sp?) The Romeo And Juliet was amazing in angles and editing.
And Robert Rodreguez (sp?) El Mariachi, Desperado And once upon a time in mexico are really great in style and camera tricks. But editing was poor. (I still ove all three of those movies though despite reviews against OATIM).

The things I don't like are pretty much anything to do with jerry bruckheimer, that little prick.
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

why don't you like jerry bruckheimer? he produced beverly hills cop and that is a great movie.
Peter Cote
Founder of Breakout Films

[img]http://i07.thefacebook.com/pics/3/0/n11400374_4237.jpg[/img]
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Jerry Bruckheimer is cool. He doesn't exactly make the best movies but he's responsible for many great mindless entertaining films... Fair play to him.

But yeah, Sam Raimi, all the way...
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
Grant

Post by Grant »

You would have to say that Hitchcock was a master with the camera
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Bruckheimer doesn't even make them he just hands down money, when people attack him they usualy should be attacking Michal Bay who is a little prick. Defentetly hitchcock and Raimi are great. I like some of the cam tricks that Peter Jackson used, and loved the style the Rodreges has, same at times for Terenteno. I couldn't for the life of me stand anything Baz Lerman did, Moulone ruge (Sp) gave me a f-ing headach.
TommyPollock

Post by TommyPollock »

I sadly have never seen any Hitchcock films, or Tarantino for that matter, but I plan on it soon. I like some of the things in Identity, but I don't remember the director. Sorry!
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

A little off the topic, but you guys talking about Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino gets me thinking about "From Dusk Till Dawn." I love that movie. George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino are awsome in that movie. How about you guys, you like it?
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

haven't seen it, on the list, just never get around to it, and its getting harder sometimes to find stuff in the video stores as they are ditiching all there VHS tapes, and that is screwing up the horror sections to say the lest, but I bet the cam was neet and the diologe whitty and full of F words.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Sammo Hung used creative camera angles all the time - Blade Of Fury was a good example, because of all the wire work in it!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Solomon Cloud

Post by Solomon Cloud »

I never said bruckheimer made them,
I just am stating anything with his name mentioned with a movie is avoided by me.

Anyone who would put money into all those horrible comercialized films is just plain BS.

And aswell he was a part in making the horrid remake of Gone In 60 Seconds.
The original was king.
Faldor

Post by Faldor »

Mushiman :D
"I know you're gonna be right, and you haven't even said anything yet! Oh there you go...I was too slow with this reply, but I still agree with you" - Ornsack
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Um yeah, the remake of Gone in Sixty Seconds had Angelina Jolie, fast expensive cars and was produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. It is SO impossible to figure out you're s'posed to turn your brain off on that one?

And has anybody forgot that Bruckheimer produced Black Hawk Down, and the Bay/Bruckheimer team did one of the best pure action flicks of all time - The Rock.

If you're expecting meaningfullness or something along those lines from Bay or Bruckheimer (except of course for BHD) besides doses of guns, blood, adrenaline and even some hot chicks, then you're looking in the wrong place.

[Edited on 23-9-2003 by SgtPadrino]
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Exactly, I'm saying that the films are bad, Black hawk down is one of the best War films ever. Bruckheimer is also behind Pirates of the carabean which was really good, and he produces CSI. Its Bay that I don't like because he can't stay on any image for more then like a second or two, even when people are talking. He just hurts my head after a while, and has made more bad movies then good.

Good
the rock
Bad Boys II

Bad
Peral Harber
Armigeden
Bad Boys

I'm going to take a lot of s*** for that.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Pirates of the Caribbean was a great Bruckheimerschmimempimerguimer film... And Black Hawk Down wasn't too bad either. Heeee's noooot thaaaat baaaad! We'll ignore Pearl Harbor.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Exactly he is actualy a good producer, and makes good movies when not working with Bay, case in point Black Hawk Down was Riddly Scott, and Pirates was Gore Verbinskie (sp).
GLiO

Post by GLiO »

M. Night Shyamalan's movies have awesome camera angles, Unbreakable was amazing.
[url=http://fs.glio.net]Five Star Productions[/url]
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

true, he is from the hitchcock school of movies, where his shoots are simple but extremly effective.
stickmurder30

Post by stickmurder30 »

i think the best movie ( for the camera angles ) is "panic room", i dunno who's the director, but the camera angles and tricks in this movie are really good, if you havn't already seen it, do it now !

anyone agree with me ?
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

The director is David Fincher, he also did Fight Club, The Game, Seven, Aliean 3. He's a great director cam wise, sice thats the topic, becuase he doesn't let physics get in his way and will just CG the whole set to get the desired effect, like when they blew up the condo in fight club.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Anyone here like James Cameron?

I have to admit that Terminator 2 had some nice camera work.
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

james cameron is my fave director! all my best loved movies! T1, T2, The Abyss, True Lies...

And Jerry Bruckheimer isn't bad! his movies might not be good, but they are entertaining and I can see fully why people hate em or love em.

Pearl Harbour for instance was a s*** movie, but it was entertaining.

My favourite Jerry movie is Armageddon, personally.

Oh and back to the subject, my fave camera trick is tracking in on something very fast.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Carmron did good on all his action flicks, but seemed to become somthing ealse after he did Titanic, and he hasn't been scene sence eather.
CORPSE GRINDER

Post by CORPSE GRINDER »

Well, Sam Raimi is deffinitely one of my favorite directors. There's a scene in the first Evil Dead where there are several shots in a row that are just crazy. One is where Ash is walking around the cabin with the gun and the camera slowly tilts from a 45 degree angle to the left to a 45 degree angle to the right.

And deffinitely, Tarantino is a fantastic director. VERY STYLIZED. His movies have a very distinct look about them.

TARANTINO MUST SEES---

1) Reservoir Dogs
2) Pulp Fiction
3) Natural Born Killers
4) From Dusk till Dawn

All of those are completely and utterly amazing films. I've listed them in the order in which I like them. If you have not seen them, RENT THEM. You won't be disappointed (unless you don't enjoy them).
"This is when I saw the dark figures moving about in the woods. I should have never tampered with the 'Book Of The Dead.' I now know that whatever it is I have resurrected through this book, is coming for me."

--The Evil Dead
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

All good though I thought Resavoir dogs seemed to drag in my opintion.