Storyboards

This forum is for the discussion of scripts and storyboards. Post your hints, tips or requests here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Storyboards

Post by slimdog55 »

Last night, around 12:00 A.M., I started a storyboard for a scene in my next movie. It was 3 pages long and I didn't finish untill around 3:05 A.M. Afterwards, I took a shower! LOL! Well anyway, how many of you make storyboards? Do you do it for the whole movie, or just action scenes? I'm going to do my just for action scenes.
AA

Post by AA »

I definitely plan out action sequences, and also any other time when a cool camera angle is important
Here is a cool tut on the subject, he's talking about making comic books, but it doesn't
matter. The principal is the same.
http://www.polykarbon.com/gallery/storyboards.htm
hope the link works
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Well I did story board one of my movies and have over 200 index cards to show for it. Now I just do it in words, sentences in the margen of the script and a few pictures when needed. But I usualy write the script to the point that people can see exactly how it should look and I can almost always direct from that.
Towels42

Post by Towels42 »

I use story board occasionally... mostly to show others involved in the project what I'm thinking. I'm a visual person, so seeing my ideas really helps.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

I've never really had to make storyboards; me and my cousin co-direct all our movies, and it seems like we're always thinking of the exact same friggin thing when it comes time to shoot, even when it comes time to edit too. It helps when you only have a two man crew that are always on the same page.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

It is a way to plan out your shot and angle arrangements.

SgtPadrino, you Should use storyboards. Your Vietnam movie left something to be desired. It's not jsut a way to remember what to shoot, but to effectively arrange camera movement and angles. Spielberg doesn't use storyboards for half his films, but remember, he runs over 4 cameras simultaneously to record everything!

You can make a storyboard by drawing 2,4,6,8 or however many boxes on a sheet of paper, then drawing in the characters and actions.
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

i use storyboards for every single shot in my new movie - it really helps coz you think up new things when you're drawing them that add to the movie. its like imagining the action but with a film making point of view rather than a story view (eg will the camera work up there rather than will it be cool if this guy says this)
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Please, storyboards make things a little too constricting. I know what I want, and I know what I want it to look like. I wanted camerawork on my Vietnam movie to look something like the camerawork on The Shield or 24, so I'd move the camera around intentionally while keeping it centered on the actors. When you get to the big time, you need storyboards to communicate what you want to your crew, but right now, visualizing and doing is enough, especially when all you have is a digital camera and a tripod.
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

I think storyboards are nice sometimes, wen 2 ppl that dun understand each other are co-directing, but for smaller movies i never do it because its more "creative" that way, because u might not hav the perfect camera angle or watever wen ur drawing the storyboards, and sometimes wen u just "gun it" it turns out better. But then again u should hav at least semi-detailed information in your scripts, so that u dont lose a good idea wen you think of it.
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch
Lord_Morpheus

Post by Lord_Morpheus »

For the most part, since I'm the only one doing the camera work and directing and writing on my films and the rest of the people are actors, I don't bother storyboarding. However, when I'm collaborating with someone else, then I may sketch a scene or two, but never the whole thing. Too constricting, too time consuming, in my mind at least.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

It's useful to write your ideas down or drawing storyboards so you don't forget it when you get new ideas or when somebody needs to be explained about the scene you could show them your storyboards.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

I think storyboarding locks you to a plan and I usually shoot with a two man crew and it's easier not to do one and make up the shots on set, as we go.
The Illuminated | The Matrix Revalations
-Production | Pre-production
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Almondo99 wrote:I usually shoot with a two man crew and it's easier not to do one and make up the shots on set, as we go.
Right, but nothing says you can't move away from the storyboards. Usually, you draw storyboards to make sure you get enough coverage. Once you shoot all that, you can go back and get some B-roll footage and other fillers. Drawing a storyboard does not lock you to a plan. It just illustrates what the scene will look like, and how everything will flow.

I agree that not every scene needs to be drawn out in storyboards, but complicated scenes, action scenes, scenes involving CGI, and chroma key scenes are a definite must for storyboards (in my opinion).
Erm... yeah...
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

I agree it does help plan it out, but I'd rather be shooting! If it doesn't turn out good, then we can reshoot it or plan it a bit. It would defenitely help for CGI scenes, action etc.
The Illuminated | The Matrix Revalations
-Production | Pre-production
SpecialFX

Post by SpecialFX »

For the most part everyone in here is just repeating themselves over and over saying how it locks you to a plan when in reality thats just an excuse because you are to lazy to storyboard because you dont have to stick to what was drawn its more of an idea or a guideline of how the shot could go. Its also key to a production because it helps you to think about where a camera is going to need to be located in a scene and how everything will move perfectly. so if you plan on going any where with your movie, One might suggest to take the time to storyboard.
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

Unless you really want your movie to be good--like pro--then why storyboard? It helps a lot, but what if you already know how the shot is going to go? Why write it down. I only do it for complicated shots.
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
-Isaiah 40:28
mickcar73
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mickcar73 »

i think u shud storyboard just the important bits, like action scenes, it will give people guidlines on what to do.otherwise for talking scenes etc, it does not require storyboards, just set up a good angle on the day and experiment a few times
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

I make storyboards sometimes, most the time I just write a shot plan.

Example:
*Over right shoulder* Steve picks his wallet off the coffee table
*Dolly from behind* Steve walks from the coffee table down the hall.