No-Budget Brilliant Fight Scene?

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

MadCowFilms

No-Budget Brilliant Fight Scene?

Post by MadCowFilms »

Okay, for my up coming movie (:Powers) there are a few fight scenes, which I need some good affects for (eg, picking up someone by the neck, people going flying back). Anyone got any ideas how I can do this? The full script is on the Scripts Board.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: No-Budget Brilliant Fight Scene?

Post by rhys »

For picking some one up my the neck, just get them to do that normally, then when u change the angle, have the person standing on a chair. And if u want an angle of there feet in the air, just get them to hold onto something above them.
For the flying back, just get them to jump back as hard as they can. Or if u could, buy one of them floor things; where u stand on it and it springs up and throws you. Or you could always use a wire.
If u want a really hardcore punch to the face, get them to do the average punch near the face, then when u change the angle, push there face with ur fist so there face is thrown. You might want to get them to push back on your fist a little too.
I realise that my fight scenes have always been bad, but i still have some advice.
Dont do what i do, film everything in between, so that u have flow. And also dont be a wimp, just hit them but make sure your nice.
Hide or fight for your life?
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Re: RE: No-Budget Brilliant Fight Scene?

Post by wildstorm »

rhys wrote:And also dont be a wimp, just hit them but make sure your nice.
Dude! You don't have to hit somebody to make it look real. Its called rolling with the punches. :)
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx
MadCowFilms

Post by MadCowFilms »

Thanks, guys! :D
I'll be using your tips in :Powers! I'll be sure to send you a copy :D
:Powers coming soon...
http://www.freewebs.com/themadcowfilms
Jperson
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Jperson »

Why :Powers, not Powers? Subtle difference, plus fights, just keep them real quick like changing angle every, say six, seven seconds, really pace it, that was my mistake... :(. Also, good effect, get some, like cling film and put fake blood in, lots and make a small, very full sealed pouch. Then either cellotape it to someone's cheek (facing away from the camera and have the other person hit that so blood flies or have the person have it in their hand so the spin and then clutch where they've been hit and wow! blood. Also, whoever is being filmed, tell them to bring old clothes, preferably very light and don't be afraid to dosh tons of fake blood when appropriate. If you want a good reciepe for blood which can go in your mouth use golden cyrup, red and blue food colouring ( 1 red to 0.5 blue) and maybe a little water.

Good music ALWAYS helps, don't forget that, and throwing in the odd knife s cool. FOr wounds don't forget fake blood soaked strips of tisue paper (you know...) and have a run through before filming + plus full coriagraphing (sorry about spelling) is ESSENTIAL! Plus hose filled with blood, and or pumps etc. Blood really flies.

I know that is a total mess and or jumble but I had quite a few ideas, PM me maybe and I can help you more precisely to do with your fight scenes. :) Always here to help!
[url=http://tinite.com][img]http://onstoryline.com/Atinitefilmsstrip.gif[/img][/url]
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Dude! You don't have to hit somebody to make it look real. Its called rolling with the punches.
Yeah but half the time people try and make it LOOK like they hit them, but in doing that, they go 2 meters away and throw a punch. Go as close as comfortable. And for the acting of the person who gets hit, try to flatten ur face for a split second when they 'hit' you.
Also, whoever is being filmed, tell them to bring old clothes, preferably very light and don't be afraid to dosh tons of fake blood when appropriate
That looks really really good sometimes. Like the DVD cover of 'High Tension'.
Make sure that the good guy gets hurt alot sometimes too. The good guy doesnt always win. And if you want to make it a really awesome exciting fight scene, make it hard (but not impossible) for the good guy to beat the bad guy.
Also dont use the same attack over and over again, because in reality if u do the same thing more than once, its really easy to block it. Dont stick to punches, and dont stick to kicks. Also try and throw in the odd normal house object too, like a lamp, or a phone. But its often hard to pull that off.
It is essential to have alot of angles (unless ur both martial arts extremists, but im guessing ur not). Dont go over the top though, too many makes it hard to see what goes on. In 10 seconds, you should have around 5 angles, if not... more.
Hide or fight for your life?
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

rhys is right dont do the same moves over agaian and agian, my buddy tomy brought this to my attention that in the chuck norris cartoon he roundhouse kicks everyone and kills them like that, so dont go chuck norris on me go rambo!
www.myspace.com/kendallfx