My Short Film (and a preview for my forthcoming film)

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MikeMoring

My Short Film (and a preview for my forthcoming film)

Post by MikeMoring »

Hey.

My name is Mike Moring -- I used to frequent this forum regularly, but that was a long time ago, and since then I had forgotten my username and password...

But I decided I'd re-register to share with you some work I've done since I've been away.

Last year I shot a short film, Untitled, which has seen quite a bit of success for a film of its type and whatnot. It's one a number of awards at a variety of student film festivals, including an award for Best Film in its category at the Toronto International Film Festival Group's young filmmaker showcase. The film can be seen in its entirety here.

Since then, I've taken a short break, and have started working on a new short comedy film, entitled Take It Back. The film is about a young man who wakes up one morning to discover that somehow, overnight, he has become the target of a city-wide protest and has no idea why. The teaser trailer for the film that I cut together recently can be seen here.

Please take the time to take a gander and let me know what you honestly think about the work (either in a comment on YouTube, if you're a member) or in this forum. I am anxious to find out how you feel about the work.

Constructive criticism is strongly encouraged.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: My Short Film (and a preview for my forthcoming film)

Post by Kentertainment »

I'm really liking what I saw for Take It Back it looks like it could be a great little film. When in September will it be available for previewing. I'd give you some feedback but at this moment I'm making this quick because I'm leaving soon to a previous engagment.
joe

Post by joe »

Bravo man! I really liked this piece. A much more mature film than is often seen of younger filmmakers. Just wondering, how old are you?

First off, when I began watching, it seemed a bit cliche. So many films begin with the main character waking up and going off to do whatever. As the film progressed, it became less of a problem as the whole of the day proved to be a fairly important element.

Really nice shot with the cereal and the lead slowly taking in 'Life.' Good symbolism.

The idea of the whole narrative was fairly well thought out. I don't know if you meant it to be this way, but I took it as the never ending 'processing' of children through school and the accompanying unoriginality thereby produced. The baloons were a nice touch. They really helped to convey the idea of the herd, as well as the movie selection, in-synch movements, food selection, and wardrobe.

One of the best scenes was when the lead had to decide between helping the beggar and buying the baloon for himself. A powerful message conveying the extreme selfishness of our society.

I'm not trying to give you all flowers here though. Many of the shots were overexposed, though it was well integrated with the black and white. It didn't really hinder the feel of the film, but is worth mentioning for future reference.

There were quite a few well composed shots. The camera movements were fairly shaky in many places as well, but again didn't hinder the feel of the film too much.

As for the main character, I was a bit let down. He seemed to follow the prescribed status of his existence most of the way through the film. Towards, the end, sitting in the band room, though, he seemed to finally start to get fed up with all of this monotony. Then, you see him going the opposite way of the others on the stairs, making you think he is going to change. Again, at the bus stop, he goes the opposite way of the girl. But, in the end, he still manages to do the exact same as he has always done, no change. Personally, I would've liked to see a little more hope, possibly by having him pop the baloon, let it fly away, etc.

There are many things that could be discussed, but I must move on now. Overall, it was well done. Good job man.

Joe
MikeMoring

Post by MikeMoring »

joe wrote:Bravo man! I really liked this piece. A much more mature film than is often seen of younger filmmakers. Just wondering, how old are you?
Thank you very much for your kind words. I am currently eighteen years old -- I was sixteen (going on seventeen) when I shot the film.
joe wrote:So many films begin with the main character waking up and going off to do whatever. As the film progressed, it became less of a problem as the whole of the day proved to be a fairly important element.
I'm glad you feel that way. Originally we were going to put the final cue for a reel change in the upper corner of the black screen before the movie really 'begins'. Then at the end, put the first cue for a reel change. The suggestion being, of course, that the film can actually be put on loop and never end. Each day is the same. Ultimately, we didn't put the chageover cues because it seemed like that was pretty clearly conveyed already.

The idea is that if you watch the film a second time, you then realize that when he is lying awake in the bed in the morning, he is actually staring up at the tapestry of black balloons on his ceiling -- he is immediately reminded each morning that there is no hope for him. The music from the end of the film is actually the same music that begins the film as well, I believe -- just a bit of trivia you might notice upon a reviewing.
joe wrote:The idea of the whole narrative was fairly well thought out. I don't know if you meant it to be this way, but I took it as the never ending 'processing' of children through school and the accompanying unoriginality thereby produced. The baloons were a nice touch. They really helped to convey the idea of the herd, as well as the movie selection, in-synch movements, food selection, and wardrobe.
I generally avoid sharing what I intended or anything like that. My own interpretation of the material, I feel, is of little value of I'm able to inspire personal interpretations within those watching the film. Oftentimes, when a filmmaker shares his own opinion, it discourages people from believing what they felt the film to stand for. As such, I will only say that I am glad you withdrew the meaning from the film that you did.
joe wrote:I'm not trying to give you all flowers here though.
That's good. As delighted as I am to receive praise for my work, I'm always interested in hearing constructive criticism and such -- especially from others who have a passion for the art of filmmaking.
joe wrote:Many of the shots were overexposed, though it was well integrated with the black and white. It didn't really hinder the feel of the film, but is worth mentioning for future reference.
I honestly really wanted an overexposed look to a lot of the stuff (particularly the stuff with the girl... who is obviously one of the only real evident rays of light in his meandering life). It was intended as a harsh contrast to the darkness that otherwise surrounds his existence -- in the one shot on the school bus, I used an extremely overexposed shot, removing everything else in the frame beyond her and the white light emitting from behind her. She's almost angelic.

Of course, I do agree that some of it may be a bit too overexposed. I noticed at a screening in Toronto that on the certain projector or whatever was used, it was so bright that the image bled and made it difficult to actually see what was happening clearly (the shot with the shoes is probably the best example... his feet almost disappeared entirely in the bleeding light).
joe wrote:The camera movements were fairly shaky in many places as well, but again didn't hinder the feel of the film too much.
Yeah. I dunno what happened there -- I used to think I was so good at holding a camera steady. There's one shot in the film (looking over the shoulder of the teacher in the classroom) that has so much shake at the beginning, it annoys me each time I watch it. I can't get over it. I should of at least found a smoother edit from that shot or something.
joe wrote:As for the main character, I was a bit let down. He seemed to follow the prescribed status of his existence most of the way through the film. Towards, the end, sitting in the band room, though, he seemed to finally start to get fed up with all of this monotony. Then, you see him going the opposite way of the others on the stairs, making you think he is going to change. Again, at the bus stop, he goes the opposite way of the girl. But, in the end, he still manages to do the exact same as he has always done, no change. Personally, I would've liked to see a little more hope, possibly by having him pop the baloon, let it fly away, etc.
I'm glad you picked up on the little suggestions that he wanted to change -- or that he did indeed acknowledge what was wrong with the world around him.

Of course, to have him actually escape his monotonous routine in any way would've negated the whole idea that the film is an endless cycle (hence all the black balloons and whatnot). I wanted to make a film that truly belonged in the ironic genre, and to have a more happy ending would displace the film from said genre. Despite his effort and desire to get out of the rut he's in, it's little more than an exercise in futility. He's trapped -- or at least feels that way.

It was really a film based on how I felt at the time that I produced it (which I believe it probably true for a lot of filmmakers' work).

As for the little bit of hope that you wanted, I'm not so sure that it isn't there.
joe wrote:There are many things that could be discussed...
I'm very glad you think so. There are few more exciting things than producing a film that initiates any kind of real discussion or debate.
joe wrote:...but I must move on now. Overall, it was well done. Good job man.

Joe
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your opinion -- it was more than I expected anybody to say about the film (internet message boards most often produce answers like 'that was neat' or 'this flick sux balls'), so it was a pleasure to read.

Oh... and Kentertainment: I'm glad you thought Take It Back looked promising. It's not exactly the depressing, insightful [hopefully] irony that Untitled is -- but I hope it's a fun film to watch. I wanted to do something much different this time around, and it's definitely much different.
joe

Post by joe »

I generally avoid sharing what I intended or anything like that. My own interpretation of the material, I feel, is of little value of I'm able to inspire personal interpretations within those watching the film.
Have you been watching the making of "Broken Flowers?" Haha, it just sounded like Jim Jarmusch. All kidding aside, I respect this approach, but I also think that it is vitally important to have a specific meaning of your own so that you aren't going into a project with a flip flop attitude, thinking that someone will pull a meaning even if there isn't one. Not implying that this is what you were doing at all, but noteworthy nonetheless.
As for the little bit of hope that you wanted, I'm not so sure that it isn't there.

I would agree that there was a faint bit of hope until I understood that this is meant to be a neverending cycle. Now, I am almost certain that it is not true hope, but rather an excercise in futility, as you stated. If in fact this day is destined to be played over and over again with no beginning or end, then the character is essentially hopeless. No matter though, as this seems to be the intention.
I honestly really wanted an overexposed look to a lot of the stuff (particularly the stuff with the girl... who is obviously one of the only real evident rays of light in his meandering life).
In the film itself, it seemed as though this girl possibly held some purpose, but only through conjecture did I really feel that she held hope or potential happiness for the guy. I didn't see any particular support for this theory, other than possibly the overexposure that you mentioned. And that didn't slap me in the face as much as I would have hoped since the rest of the film was also overexposed. It may have been more impactful had you underexposed the rest of the film or at least held it at a moderate exposure. I understand the idea of them looking at each other, but they never seemed to lock eyes, change their expression or anything of the like. Instead of rays of light to each other, they could have just been curious glances. Who knows?

Either way, I respect your ideas and your thoughtfulness in this film. I would actually like to hear some criticism from you on some of my own work if you get a chance to view it. Cheers.

Joe
Lemonus.com