Wirework

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

GoodStuffFilms

Wirework

Post by GoodStuffFilms »

I was wondering what i should do if I want an actor to run up a wall and flip backwards in one shot. Help Please?
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Wirework

Post by rhys »

3d stunt doubles.
Learn how to do it for real (which u can, from what i learnt, its called a wallflip).
Hook a harness to them and put wire on either side, and have the cables leading up to a crane above them then just get them to do it, but make sure that the actor is a short bit away from the wall, so he doesnt whack into it doing the wallflip. Have fun doin it.
Welcome to the website.
Hide or fight for your life?
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jimbobsquarepants »

Nononononononononono rhys, you won't need a crane. depending on the height of the wall you can just fix the wires to the top of it.

yesterday i got 5 4m wires with clips worth £120 for free!
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

I was using the crane as an example. But u need something hitch it onto, its not like ull be able to just chuck in them in ur ceiling (unless u got plenty of play money).
How come u got the wires for free? Can i too?
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jimbobsquarepants »

nope its cos my dad used to own a metal fabrication company and they have lots of wires.
www.freewebs.com/martinman300
no-budget film making.
GoodStuffFilms

Post by GoodStuffFilms »

I like rhys's idea. But after he runs up the wall the wires should move back so he doesnt hit his head on the wall. Is there any cheap harness with pick points on the side and that u can do flips in?
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

I realise what u mean, kinda like the ballbearings thing in my nunchucks. I think they cost a bit. Or u could do it in a normal one, hope u dont fall out and hope u dont kill yourself.
Ever seen those trampoline things where they hook u up to a harness and u go like 10 meters up? There awesome fun. Im not sure what they use in them, but they work.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

First off you should just greenscreen the guy running then kicking his legs.

GoodstuffFilms is obviously new to wirework and shouldn't try it for his first time, I can see the wire snapping midway or not being able for him to jump back from the wall because you'd need wheels above to move him backwards, it's very complex and you need experience in wirework first.
GoodStuffFilms

Post by GoodStuffFilms »

yea, i thought you'd say that. We have used wires before with a tree (we have tested it for weight) and up and down motion with morton salt bags for counterweight. Im just wonderin wat kind of harnees i can get that you can do flips in (like the ones at the carnival Rhys)
kernul

Wire Stunts

Post by kernul »

You can get specialized stunts harnesses at http://www.amspecinc.com/, starting at around $200.

Or try http://www.versales.com/index.html

Has anybody here done any wire stuff? I've been trying to get into it for a while now, but there aren't any resources to learn this stuff...not even diagrams or pictures. There is a document by Tumblemonster on the internet, somebody posted a link to it in this forum as well, but without pictures its hard to get into it.

What I want to know, for example, is how to connect a wire rope/lift line to the thick operator line?