DV to Film

Video editing, format conversion, video file manipulation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

thecrowdravin

DV to Film

Post by thecrowdravin »

Does any one know were I can find a mash to make my DV footage look like real professional film footage?
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: DV to Film

Post by DEDFX »

try google,
It can be done but barely works.
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Why does everyone want that 'film look'? It annoys me. Its called 'auto levels' in premiere pro 2.0. Seriously wats so great about it? Ur not gonna get famous because u finally figured out how to make pretty colors in ur movies.
U a noobie? *checks* Yep... just as i suspected, work on the actual movie rather than the colors.
Hide or fight for your life?
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

ok here... find one of your films... yeah watch it

then whatch one of my films...

notice the differnece? i added post filters to do it

mine looks like film... yours looks mini dv
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

Theres a big difference really, and thats whether you want a film which looks like an amature with a little palmheld mini DV camera has done it, or you want more of an perfesional touch to your films.

No offence Rhys but your not really in any position to call people noobies. Also you get p*** off when people make comments like that when you ask questions (which is almost all the time). There is nothing wrong with asking questions, hell thats what this is here for.
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

U a noobie? *checks* Yep... just as i suspected, work on the actual movie rather than the colors.
ok....number of posts doesnt decided if hes a "noobie" or not....just cause you post like a mad man every day (and you say you dont have time to make movies)...doesnt mean anything! it's his expierence in making movies that makes him a noobie or not....and *checks* Yep...just as i suspected....your a noobie....work on an actual movie rather than making a bunch of tests....
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

rhys wrote:Why does everyone want that 'film look'? It annoys me. Its called 'auto levels' in premiere pro 2.0. Seriously wats so great about it? Ur not gonna get famous because u finally figured out how to make pretty colors in ur movies.
whats so great about it? Well lets see... i know many people (including myself)that won't watch a film (well there are exceptions) that have not been color corrected. The main deal is, we know its shot on a mini dv shoestring budget but make us belive that it is shot on film. thats why i devote most of my editing time to adding filters to make mine look like film. People want to see something differnet than the old Dv footage!! Auto levels aren't eneough you don't want the computer making the colors of you film you want to be the copmmander... you want to make it seem cold even on a summer days or warm in a cold a[artment. you don't want to be having the same old drab Dv.

rhys, don't call people a noobie... we (yes now i am somehow part of the pack) still have yet to see something out of you/.... i know your working on the vinsorepenis movie but work on colors you want it too look like it was shot on film, do your seriously looks at your movies or movie and not say in your head "it doesn't look like film!!! WHY??????" yeah (with a little more whining maybe)

work on it

zacatac out
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

RHYS, everyone has their own preferences.

You like to make vampire movie other like to make war movies. You don't like making you video look like film, then don't try to change his mind.

Aaronv2 has less posts than you, that doesn't mean your smarter than him when it comes to 3d and compositing.

Also, please don't put thing in like *checks* or *opens mouth with excitement*, it just seems weird. You could have said "well I see you don't have many posts, I see your new to matthawkins but are you new to movie making?"
thecrowdravin

Post by thecrowdravin »

rhys wrote:U a noobie? *checks* Yep... just as i suspected, work on the actual movie rather than the colors.
Ok lets get back to the topic at hand instead of the second grader (rhys)who wants his movie to look his staticy family vacation video and or in simpler terms BULLSH*T!!!!!
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Um.. yeah... i was saying work on the actual film rather than just the colors (i was taking it that they wanted to just have really bright colors). Whatever, your over-reacting. i wouldnt watch a movie like moty python or anything like that, because of the colors, which i think is a little weird, but i just cant. if u have already made the movie, then you should color it, rather then just making one scene, coloring it, another, completely difforent, etc.
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

Monty Python looks like that because it was filmed in the 70's with a budget.

In The Matrix each scene was coloured differently depending on whether it's in the "Real world" (blues) or the Matrix (greens). Also colour can change the feel of a scene, washed out colours can be used to create a feeling of depression, where as bright colour's can help create a happy vibe. The only time it looks cr** is when you go over the top with it and it ends up coloured badly.
thecrowdravin

Post by thecrowdravin »

rhys wrote:Um.. yeah... i was saying work on the actual film rather than just the colors (i was taking it that they wanted to just have really bright colors). Whatever, your over-reacting. i wouldnt watch a movie like moty python or anything like that, because of the colors, which i think is a little weird, but i just cant. if u have already made the movie, then you should color it, rather then just making one scene, coloring it, another, completely difforent, etc.
Ok I’m sorry I exploded (rhys) like that but let’s keep this post moving more suggestions more ideas…..
Zac
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Zac »

um yeh enough with arguing, i wonder the same thing, you guys say "filter it"......with wat? wat filters? where do i get them ? are they free?
i dunno if i want my next one to look like film cos its sorta meant to be a bit of a horror one (i know it wont scare the sh*t out of you but its my first try) and it might look better a bit more "raw/home shot" looking (if that makes sense)
I like you, when the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Because otherwise it's just plain boring.

And Zac, you create and adjust the filters yourself in editing programs like Premiere, using color correction and other tools like that.

A movie I made a while back that uses lots of color correction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-DLAGB7-IQ
thecrowdravin

Post by thecrowdravin »

Wow that looked almost just like film
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Yeah I liked the look of it, you need a good camera to successfully do a good color correction.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Heh, not really. The camera I use is almost ten years old.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

i wonder the same thing, you guys say "filter it"......with wat? wat filters? where do i get them ? are they free?
Yeah there are some really good ones in premiere pro 2.0, i was playing around with them yesterday. I'll check for u. I re-installed premiere pro yesterday, now it works.
I used the fast color corrector in premiere pro 2.0, just to play around. Heres the results:
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Changing the color of your movie won't make it look like film, the FPS are different and film is much clearer.

Filters are things in video editing programs (premiere, vegas) that you can add to a scene to make look different. Theres filters like "grain filter" which will make your whole scene filled with graininess, sometimes you can change the power of a filter (more grain/less grain).
Zac
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Zac »

the middle one of rhys's looks alright, the last one just looks like the contrast has been put up
I like you, when the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

I think Alove mentioned a program called 'InstantHD' - www.redgiantsoftware.com/instanthd.html that would upscale DV footage to HD. 1080, 720 i think any format really. There's a demo so you can see how it works. Anyway, that plus letterboxing it and adjusting Gamma, black levels etc. would help.
The Illuminated | The Matrix Revalations
-Production | Pre-production