A Feast For A Beast

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LoneManFilms

A Feast For A Beast

Post by LoneManFilms »

This is just a little something me and the guys over at Lone Man Films did over the summer, let me know what you thought. http://www.lonemanfilms.com/FeastBeast.htm
Thanks,
Alex Bruce
www.lonemanfilms.com
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: A Feast For A Beast

Post by Mr.Anderson »

Haha. That was pretty good. Nice lil slapstick flick. Some parts were a little too goofy though, un neccessarily. Like the slipping on the banana peel, eh, too forced. But i liked a lot of it. And i dont know why that girl scream made me laugh so hard, but it did. lol. Good stuff.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well what a confusing film!

After watching it one does get an impression of what this film wants to be, a kind of slapstick comedy not totally disimilar to the likes of Buster Keaton except with a distinc slice of alternative comedy (at least in the setups, costumes and situations) if not with the humour itself.

There in lies the faults with this film however, it relies primarily on humour to entertain, but for some reason the material here is distinctly lacking. There has to be more than just a guy in a costume, and another guy slipping on banana skins...

The music (which of relative vintage origin helps highlight its silent movie influences) is inappropriate to the alternative comedic elements we see visually from the film. (the almost python esque costume setups) It makes us too aware that it is trying to entertain us.

The pace also limits its comedic potential, there were parts i fast forwarded (and i could see i was missing nothing, just of men walking through the forest etc etc.) If you have to wait that long for a gag thats pretty simplistic, then the audience aren't going to feel particularly rewarded.

All in all, the film seemed more like an elongated sketch (that is not succeeding) rather than a coherent film.

It's a shame as to me it seems at least some effort went into it, but nonetheless the flaw of pace, weak humour, and general confusion of the film detracts from its potential to have audiences laughing.

On a technical note, the exposures for many shots appeared underexposed, with muted colours, and was very well grey, quite depressing in fact.

I actually think this film could be edited in a completely different fashion (from the stock material you have shot) and could in fact turn out a much better film if you were to make harsh improvements.
LoneManFilms

Post by LoneManFilms »

Thanks for the comments, may I ask what specific parts you skipped over?
Thanks,
Alex Bruce
www.lonemanfilms.com
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

There was no scenes in their entirely i fast fowarded, but just general sections of non speaking 'non action' moments, if you sit and watch your film again, and whilst watching think 'what is happening here' and see how long it 'takes to happen' and you will notice quite clearly that this film is a minute or 2 too long.
Jperson
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Jperson »

I liked it, may I ask did you use a Windows computer to edit it, or a Mac, or by some rare chance a Linux?
[url=http://tinite.com][img]http://onstoryline.com/Atinitefilmsstrip.gif[/img][/url]
LoneManFilms

Post by LoneManFilms »

I used a computer with Windows XP. Why do you ask? Thanks for the tips Lawriejaffa, I might see if I can shave off some scenes here or there.
Thanks,
Alex Bruce
www.lonemanfilms.com
Jperson
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Jperson »

Ahh, I asked seeing as you compiled it to QuickTime format, of some sort… Just wondering if used a Mac to do it, personaly I am of thte opinion that QuickTIme is better the Windows Media Player, but that of course, is my opinion…
[url=http://tinite.com][img]http://onstoryline.com/Atinitefilmsstrip.gif[/img][/url]
LoneManFilms

Post by LoneManFilms »

I strongly agree with you Jperson.
Thanks,
Alex Bruce
www.lonemanfilms.com