Poser 6

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Poser 6

Post by rhys »

Hey, I was wondering...
What do u guys think of poser 6?
Does it work well with animation?
Is keyframing easy?
Can u customise the skins/texture on the animations?
I am installing it on my computer now. I got it for special effects that i cant do any other way such as having a single shot of me falling from my balcony, then getting up and walking off. I tried out the trial... i think... and it seems really good. I also have the DAZ Mimic plug-in for it (its a lip sync add-on[all u do is import the head model, type in the script of what it needs to do phone-eti-cally, then u import the audio, its really good]) that i got from one of my movie magazines.
And its just finnished.
Hide or fight for your life?
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Poser 6

Post by Jimbobsquarepants »

get blender3d
www.freewebs.com/martinman300
no-budget film making.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Hm.....
poser $300 just got, specially designed for human animations...
blender3d free, need to download, made for people with no money...
I DONT THINK SO!
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

Poser 6 is basically for hobbyist or for people who can't model 3D characters. The interface is somewhat difficult to work with and you don't have a variety of models to choose from. You can go to DAZ3D website and purchase additional models like Michael or Victoria but thats about it. Baiscally if you wanted to make an animated film and don't have time to create characters, Poser is the way to go. Me personally, I'd rather create something, that way I can lay claim to it.

So rhys, your saying that you would rather shell out $300 for a software only geared for Characters animations rather then spending time downloading Blender3D which by the way is free and you can do multiple things such as create enviornments and characters?
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Yes i am saying that, i am also saying that i will only ever use 3d people, so theres no use of any of the other stuff. And i cant model for a free fridge magnet.
This song has really got me going 'Drugs' from 'Yakooza'. YAY!!! DRUGS!!!!! Cant wait to use my strobe light with it...
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

Dude drugs are bad
Visual Effects Artist
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

No drugs is good. It sounds awesome and its perty with a strobe light. I love the middle of it, its good.
Oh you mean drugs are bad, no there not there perfectly good for medical health.
Oh you mean DRUGS are bad, yeah they are, but they could be fun, who knows? Live before u die, thats what i say.
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

I've seen what drugs do to people. All there doing is throwing their life away. You can't really succeed in life if your gonna turn around and smoke a fatty.
Visual Effects Artist
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Depends, for recreational uses and using it rarely isn't really bad for you. Now other drugs are.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

Short answer to your original question: if you use Poser 6 renders in a movie, it will look like cr**. Total, absolute, and utter cr**. So instead of going "hey CG it!" for your effects shot, do it in a more conventional and believable way: camera trickery, quick cuts, and careful editing. Spend more than two and a half minutes shooting the effects shot and you'll get a much better result than if you attempted to CG it.

Besides which, using Poser for the shot you described violates one of the principle rules of special effects work; namely, thou shalt never do digitally what thou can do physically.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Im not jumpin off a balcony.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

You don't have to jump off a balcony. That's why I talked about "camera trickery" and "quick cuts".

Though jumping would be an easy way to get the shot. How high is the balcony -- eight, ten feet? That's not a big deal to jump. It's all about how you land it. If you're worried about it, do as follows:

Get cardboard boxes that are roughly the same size, and a foot or two tall. Then, tape them together, so that you have a shape maybe eight feet by eight feet. Cover the boxes with blankets. Jump. The boxes will collapse when you hit them, softening the fall, and the blankets will keep you from hitting any sharp cardboard edges.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Um, no. Iv already jumped off it onto my trampoline, but that wasnt much fun.
Cardboard boxes break too easy.
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

cardboard boxes break less easily than those big inflatable mattresses they use in hollywood.. in fact, for the untrained one, they can be even safer than those mattresses.
"More blood, More blood! Here, give me the bottle!"
-William Wyler on the set of Ben-Hur

http://darkartifacts.blogspot.com
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

dude theyuse cardboard boxes for most stunts... why do you think all the heroes jump or fall into cardboard boxes....
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Re: RE: Poser 6

Post by wildstorm »

Zacatac927 wrote:dude theyuse cardboard boxes for most stunts... why do you think all the heroes jump or fall into cardboard boxes....
Because 75% of the time rhys doesn't make sense. What do you expect lol :D
Visual Effects Artist
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: RE: Poser 6

Post by OutcastJiob »

Uh, rhys? The point is for the boxes to break. That's what absorbs/cushions the fall. If they DIDN'T break it'd be no softer than hitting hard ground. They absorb some momentum, crumple, and you're on the ground pretty softly. If you're really concerned, use two layers of boxes.

Or go with your original plan and use Poser 6. It will still look like cr**, but hey, it's not my film. Do as you please.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

Poser 6 is basically a character animation program. Everyone who says it is cr** should think again, i mean sure it is for newbs but way back when poser 3 came out i baught it and it took me on a journey to where i am now. modeling and rigging my own characters.

It teaches you some basics that are transferable between programs. the keyframe animation is just like every keyframe animation timeline. It has ray tracing capabilities and even hair generation from splines, it has dynamics like cloth and hair simulation etc.

if you buy it and then join renderosity there is heaps of free characters props and etc for you to use.

as a beginner and since you will only be doing humans id go for it. then if you get a copy of vue you will have the ultimate beginner 3d solution. (or get blender for free - but you "pay" in time to learn about the damn thing)
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
MacMave

Post by MacMave »

Poser 6 is very helpful in our Movies! With Poser you can Animate Monsters, Terminators and Stormtroopers to your Movies. And sure you can use digital Stunt Doubles for your Actors.
Watch this Testvideo for a digital Double:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbbxYXI8B-E

The Stund Double was animated with Poser and renered with Cinema4D
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jimbobsquarepants »

sounds good. hey aaronv2, i got blender just recently and its very simple to use, just go on the Noob to Pro tutorial on wikipedia
www.freewebs.com/martinman300
no-budget film making.
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

MacMave thats pretty cool, only problem was when it landed it kind of lost gravity and floated over...If you cut in close to you hitting the ground on your back covered in burns and blood that would look real good.
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
MacMave

Post by MacMave »

@ Bocca: Yeah, thats right! It was just Test Footage, I dont wanna tell a small story around it, so its just a test for our recent movie. In that movie we will make that like you say.
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

Bocca wrote:MacMave thats pretty cool, only problem was when it landed it kind of lost gravity and floated over...If you cut in close to you hitting the ground on your back covered in burns and blood that would look real good.
Yep I agree. More effective doing it that way. But it was pretty good.
Visual Effects Artist
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Didnt u post it on here before?
I thought the 3d dude was kinda boxy, i cant remember.
GeokesPerson

Re: Poser 6

Post by GeokesPerson »

Get Daz Studio it's free and just as good. http://www.daz3d.com/program/studio/1_0download.php
Last edited by GeokesPerson on Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backSlash films/productions

tranZgresion: in post-production

spent brass: in pre-production

mercinary short: in post-production