I need help- do you think this is possible?

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

bucki_brock

I need help- do you think this is possible?

Post by bucki_brock »

I'm making my first film, however i only have two actors, one cheap video camera and hardly any editing software =/ Do you think making a film is possible?

It's definatley not going to be easy. It's proving hard now as we've figured we can't cut to close ups and then back to a wide shot, and writing a script with only two characters in it is hard.

Anyone have any advice for doing this? For writing the script, shooting and editing the film?
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: I need help- do you think this is possible?

Post by Zacatac927 »

ok that the proces you need to go through at making your first film

i used a Hi 8 and Windows movie maker to make my first film and it actuially turned out...

play around with it and see what you can do... a first film for me is an experiment... you don't know how much to add to it... and you don't want to add to much and mess it up...

my first was me and a friend running around shooting each other (it was better than it sounds)

improv the script.... just go wth what feels right... don't mess with camera angles shoot... on a tripod or hold the tripod somewhat acting as a stedicam...

thats what i have to say,
zac
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

RE: I need help- do you think this is possible?

Post by Epsilon »

I'll say it again, don't write a script based on what limitations you have. The script should bear no boundaries in imagination. When you've finished the story, THEN figure out what you can do with it. Limiting yourself before making the story does not allow you to create what you are capable of. You can do anything you want if you have the desire. Finding althernate methods of editing is the beginning of every amateur filmmaker's struggles.
socynicalsohip

Post by socynicalsohip »

now I lurk here time and time again but never posted... I have made a couple of short films [one awful one not so bad] and a [reasonable] trailer for an aborted project. But when we started we were in your position.

I'm not going to lie it's tricky, will require alot of time, commitment, effort etc and the end product may not be of cinema worthy quality...

BUT... It all depends why you are doing it, if you want to have some fun learning a few new tips and tricks do it. If you wanna be the next Richard Kelly [or whoever the latest indy film prodigy is] perhaps you should reconsider until you have the resources.

I hope you have fun whatever you choose to do... Kelly
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

strangely enough, I think I'm the only one who thinks it can be fairly easy... I used a cheap camcorder, 2 friends, and the basics of vegas 6.0(I could have done it with movie maker) to make my movie "The Gardener", and it was my first movie. it wasn't a masterpiece, the dead body didn't look quite dead, but I must say that it was pretty easy to get those results!
"More blood, More blood! Here, give me the bottle!"
-William Wyler on the set of Ben-Hur

http://darkartifacts.blogspot.com