Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Brawl/Bar fight

Post by rhys »

Hey,
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a fight look really forceful and kinda scary, like the bar fights? Or a fight thats really realistic? I have checked out youtube for actual fights but there just people pushing each other, and thats no fight. Or does anyone have any videos of people hurting each other or anything like that, so i can use it like a training model?
I realise that my fights arent like great, but thats exactly what im asking here, how to make them better....
Hide or fight for your life?
Grant

RE: Brawl/Bar fight

Post by Grant »

If it is in a bar then think of making breakable props that can almost be used as full speed
Last edited by Grant on Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

A bunch of punches to a guys face, not one big punch then the guy coming back and so on.
Grant

Post by Grant »

the fights you see on youtube are reality friend. I have never seen a crisp, clean and exciting real fight. They are normally messy, lacking technique and end up grappling.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

The reason your fights aren't great (as you say) is because you're going for Matrix stuff where everything is so "stylish". Truthfully, as Grant said, those video's you looked up is how a real fight is going to look. Most streetfights are just mindless throwing of punches and the other protecting himself/herself or looking ridiculous in trying to catch the punch.
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

http://youtube.com/watch?search=kimbo&v=n13ce8HK_Tg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QC2QuSUPlA0&search=kimbo

this guy is a machine, kimbo, you may of heard of him, he poses a little bit of technique for a real fight
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

well i used to do fake backyard wrestling so I can help just pm me and ill send you all you need note im in a hurry.
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Watch any of several episodes of Firefly for some great bar fights.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

I have never herd of the show firefly, but it sounds alright.
By bar fights, i dont mean like a couple of guys just throwing a couple of punches at each other before one falls down, i mean like something that is like really angry. Like the fight scene in 'A History Of Violence' where the kid gets p*** at a guy and his friends and beats the cr** out of them, but obviously making it last a bit longer. I didnt see the whole movie, but from the 45 mins i saw, i didnt understand a thing.
That fight with the kimbo guy was kinda lame, he made himself sound like his really cool, but all he had to do was hit him in the face.
If i were ever in a fight, id just try and hit them as much as possible and make sure there not gonna try and hit me, instead of just standing there, waiting.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

We all love sucker punches. Just surprise a fella with a quick blow to the eyebrow. Nobody expects it and it'll knock em out for a few seconds. :P
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Whack em in the jaw hard enough and they can be out cold for quite a while. Whack them in the side of the face hard enough and *twist*... dead.
The closest i ever got to a bar fight was when my friend whacked my in the nose and it bled for ages, all over my school shirt, i laughed for ages cos i had to go to a food shop... covered in blood, they didnt know whos it was.
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

not really a bar fight as it was in school...

and the jaw isnt a very good place to strike.

And i dont suppose bar fights are what you're looking for. They're messy, they look shocking and either end up on the floor or being broken up. Oh yeah, 80% of street fights end up on the ground as well. And both fighters, although giving it all the mouth would be bricking it and flinching every second.

A good fighter can end a fight in a split second, a good fight would be a one punch incapacitation or one move to restrain the oponent. Bruce Lee's longest actual fight was three minutes long - and was the trigger for him creating Jeet Kune Do, so he could end one in .3 of a second.

What you need to do is take up a martial art or a stagefighting course. Actually learn how to strike, where to strike, effective grappling, pressure point fighting and groundwork. From there you can modify what you know to put it in your film. Choreograph sequences that wouldn't happen in real life - ever, but fit the mood and theme of your movie, 'cause if you want to make it realistic - it will look terrible.
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

No. Seriously, i dont want it that realistic that the fight is one punch long, that sucks. No one wil be entertained by that. We are in a film making forum and not in the actual world, we choose what happens and we choose how we entertain, we choose when it is realistic and when its not. Its our choice.
Bocca

Re: Brawl/Bar fight

Post by Bocca »

rhys wrote:Or a fight thats really realistic?
and it was your choice to enquire about a realistic fight, we informed you, and it turns out you don't want a realistic one. So look into choreography and grappling - The Replacements has a good Bar Fight scene in.
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
wildabeast009

RE: Re: Brawl/Bar fight

Post by wildabeast009 »

Well the fight should definately have bunches of beer bottles being smashed and thrown at people. Bar stools can be heaved as well. You could also have someone tackle another onto a table where people are and then have the table break. Pool sticks can be used. For it to be entertaining and realistic at the same time, the fight should look improvised, but the characters have more time to plan out complex moves that you wouldnt typically use in a fight.
You know what's a fun game? Take 3 Excedrin PM's and see if you can whack off before you fall asleep. You always win, that's the best part about the game. -Cal, [i]The 40 Year Old Virgin[/i]
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

Real life fights are grapples and punches. Occasionally a mean person (someone like me) would throw in a kick. But head locks and punches and elbows, no fancy blocks, not even boxing styles usually. We're talking about a couple of average joes drunk or sober who don't know any fantastic Kung Fu fighting styles. People get p***, someone kicks a knee cap, someone else throws a hook and fighting begins.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

1. actually hit eachother trust me you can do it lightly and non painfully.
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I've always wanted to have a real fight in my movie... so it doesn't look fake. I'd probably have to pay them or bribe.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Ok... but i want it to still be like i know what im doing, not like, umm.. heres a chair, and with my muscle mass ill throw it 50 ft and hope it hits them.
I know how easy it is to hurt someone, but sometimes, when ur in a fight, u soften it down so they can try and have a hit... because im generous.
Speaking of fighting... i was at school today and i was kept in for like ages at lunch and i got p*** off at the asian. So then i went outside with my lunch and was eating it, not knowing how angry i actually was. Then some guy comes up, and says 'lets all point and laugh at boney (or something) then my reflex was to spin around and kick him in the leg. He was bruised, but i didnt mean it, honestly. It was so funny though. Yeah, just thought u might want to join in on the few times that i hurt people.