Calling All Editers!!

Video editing, format conversion, video file manipulation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

F.F.F.

Calling All Editers!!

Post by F.F.F. »

Hi gang, I just got my first official editing job and I need some general advice. Coincidentaly this is also my first job, because I'm only 14.Thanks.
TroubledCobraStudios

RE: Calling All Editers!!

Post by TroubledCobraStudios »

uhh...you should probably tell us what exactly the job is that you have to do. that way we can help you more.

oh, and by the way, its "editors" heh, just letting you know. i myself happen to be a horrible speller.
www.freewebs.com/troubledcobrastudios
JackBauerII

Post by JackBauerII »

First, what program are you using?
If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Yeah, it could be anything from Windows Movie Maker :D to AVID. Or are you asking for editing basics; stuff that applies to any program? How to arrange different cuts, etc. But I hope you already know that if this is your paying job.
F.F.F.

Post by F.F.F. »

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to spelling, and I didn't give you much info either. Okay, I'm editing on Final Cut Pro HD, and at the moment I'm working on a series of comedic comercials for a teachers guide from Mcgraw Hill Publishing companies. I just want some basic tips on how to handle this job, anything helps. Thanks.
TroubledCobraStudios

Post by TroubledCobraStudios »

wow...and you're only 14??? WTF???? uhh...tips....tell us how you got this job....
www.freewebs.com/troubledcobrastudios
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Uh, your 14, got a job as an editor and want some advice on editing. They dont seem too much like people who would know anything about editing if they let a 14 year old do the editing for them, by the way, did u tell them that ur 18 or older?
Yes i realised i am younger, but i realised that im not going to get a job anytime soon.
Hide or fight for your life?
santi
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by santi »

Basic tips about editing? You must be kiddin. Basis of editing would took few pages.
No offence but I can't imagine how someone could hire an 14 y.o. editor without checking his demoreel. If had one you wouldn't need basic tip, would you? The world is going mad.
Santi

"Corpse of your enemy always smells nice"

---------------------
http://sfx.com.pl/
F.F.F.

Post by F.F.F. »

I don't want any advice on editing, I just want some tips on etiquette, etc. I'm sorry for confusing anyone. I've been editing video since I was twelve and I've won 3 "best of festival" awards in local film festivals since then the first when I was still twelve. My new employer saw one of my films and gave me a call. That's how I got the job. Sorry for the confusion.
F.F.F.

Post by F.F.F. »

By the way, RHYS and Santi, I never asked for any editing tips. Sorry for the double post.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Have a meeting with your customer. Establish exactly what the scope of the work that he expects you to perform. Take notes and then produce some minutes of your meeting. Get your customer to agree these minutes.

DONT BE AFRAID TO TALK ABOUT MONEY - Suggest an amount of work that you will do for the initial submission. Provide them with an hourly/daily rate for addition work work not covered by your initial agreement.
F.F.F.

Post by F.F.F. »

Thanks Adam! That's exactly the advice I was looking for :D