Card Board Critters

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

darrigaz

Card Board Critters

Post by darrigaz »

Ok its the holidays so i've been writing a script and today i started thinking about different monsters to put in it (its a sci fi actioner). There was a load of cardboard on my floor so i got some scissors and sellotape and made these little things

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31662691@N00/

However, as of yet they don't have a name and they're not finished.

Has any one got any good ideas for a name ?(keep in mind they've been made by a mad scientist who is obsessed with playing god by creating life).
Also, is there anything i could do to make them, cooler or more menacing ?

All ideas welcome.
----------------------------------------------
WOOT SIGAGE!!!
Yeh ....... It's really not that exciting after all
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Card Board Critters

Post by ctbullet »

they were pretty cool, better than i could do....

names:
1. count die
2. creepy crawlsy

alright they suck, sorry can't help you there

as for menacingness? add colour?
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Card Board Critters

Post by DarkElastic »

Creeps
Fiends

The name will depend on what they do, the same as ideas on what can improve them. We need more background info. to comply.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jimbobsquarepants »

ohh are they like those spider things that were in doctor who? give them sharper claws and everything. will u stop motion them walking around?
darrigaz

Post by darrigaz »

Yeh i did intend to stop motion them but obviously they need to be made out of something other than corigated cardboard for that.

In terms of Background -
)They're a species that resulted from scientific experimentation,
)They're either an experiment that got out of control or they're designed to respond to the orders of their creator (all depends on how i end up writing the mad scientist)
)They kill by burrowing into flesh and out the other side (leaving lovely big gorey holes)
)They revive each other by contact so as soon as you kill one, his little mates swarm around him and give him a quick poke and he's fine again

That's about as far as I got thinking about them, In the story they've single handedly layed waste to an entire planet though.
WOOT SIGAGE!!!
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

cool they look good. Name them after the experiment (give them a sciencey techy name).

Do you know what you're going to make the final ones out of?
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

use knex as a skeleton and then use card bord with foil over it simple
www.freewebs.com/martinman300
no-budget film making.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Just animate them for two steps, loop the footage then make them move when editing.
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

Jimbobsquarepants wrote:use knex as a skeleton and then use card bord with foil over it simple
but it will look pretty dodgy.

Id suggest using galvanised wire for the skeletal and muscular structure , then making a synthetic tissue with foam latex or (if you dont wna get into that) you could use stockings/tights to create a translucent (quite creepy) skin...

I did that in my art project - the final product is creepy as hell, if i find the photos ill post them up and show you.
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
darrigaz

Post by darrigaz »

sounds cool, was thinking of doing the wireframe thing, seemed like the only viable option. Not sure what to coat them with though
WOOT SIGAGE!!!
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

make them robotic so much easier
no-budget film making.
darrigaz

Post by darrigaz »

Would that not make them far too similar to the replicators in stargate ?
WOOT SIGAGE!!!
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

*snort* well i dont watch stargate
no-budget film making.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Reminds me of Tom Selleck in "Runaway" lol
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Put like the really grotty hair that spiders have on them.
Try and make them as much like living creatures as possible, for example, if u wanted them to seem gross u could chuck a pics kidney for there skin on them, kinda like the resident evil monster things. Then give them some kinda bone or vampire teeth things comin out of there mouths.
I dunno, just a thought.
Names: Xeszalax (zes-a-lax) or something like that that sounds like some other language, because the scientific language does.
Feltec
Schnizmo's (lol, cartoony)
Genamalignium (gen-a-ma-lig-nium)
Cranzouster (cranz-ou-sta)
Basically anything that sounds weird will work.
Hide or fight for your life?
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

When I see them I think Half-Life headcrab, as Rhys said, they need teeth and lots of 'em. As for a name, you could call them something very simple an uncreative, but have the scientist refer to them in a very loving tone. As in: "Number 43! Get down from there! Stop chewing on the man's throat, you don't know where it might have been."
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Zac
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Zac »

uh... they're made out of freakin card board, and suddenly they've become everybodys new best friend. mine too, at leasted for the meetage of the hand and p*n*s
how to make them cooler??? sorry but they're not. you guys must really be desperate for something to talk about, which i am, but thats no reason to get stubip sorry, stooped. (i wonder if matthawkins.com kills brain cells :anal: ?)
oh and ctbullet... "count die"??? :wtf:
sorry but my horseshair got caught in my shoes and i had to go for a ride for a while, ps, im nude... :goldenshower:
can every one please stup bein so good dumb stooped? for lawns sake.... do something worthwhile, like jump out of a moving car at 100 mph naked having inter...net
thank god my bladder seems to be fulfilling, unlike my cats life
god, she locked it away and now i am stuck in the fridge waiting to be given the lightbulb.
well, toodles you cardboard filmer, im off to have some doobie-snack (merojuana/ pot/ steam/ crack/ happysnack/chocolatecakes/nibbletwists/dikrenchers/heartstealer/girlfriend/life/whyaremyshoesatthedoor?)
god zac, out of there idiot.
p.s. there is alot more where that came from if you come to the dance with me, and you know where that is :wink:
I like you, when the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Congratulations, usually it takes at least three posts to make me lose all respect for somebody. It seems you've set a new standard.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

uh... they're made out of freakin card board, and suddenly they've become everybodys new best friend. mine too, at leasted for the meetage of the hand and p*n*s
how to make them cooler??? sorry but they're not. you guys must really be desperate for something to talk about, which i am, but thats no reason to get stubip sorry, stooped. (i wonder if matthawkins.com kills brain cells ?)
oh and ctbullet... "count die"???
sorry but my horseshair got caught in my shoes and i had to go for a ride for a while, ps, im nude...
can every one please stup bein so good dumb stooped? for lawns sake.... do something worthwhile, like jump out of a moving car at 100 mph naked having inter...net
thank god my bladder seems to be fulfilling, unlike my cats life
god, she locked it away and now i am stuck in the fridge waiting to be given the lightbulb.
well, toodles you cardboard filmer, im off to have some doobie-snack (merojuana/ pot/ steam/ crack/ happysnack/chocolatecakes/nibbletwists/dikrenchers/heartstealer/girlfriend/life/whyaremyshoesatthedoor?)
god zac, out of there idiot.
p.s. there is alot more where that came from if you come to the dance with me, and you know where that is
Were you high WHILE writing that?? umm....anyways onto the cardboard monsters....

I think the best way to make them menacing would be simply to paint them all the darkest black possible. Make their legs longer, skinnier and pointier.

As for names, im not really sure. Psyjacks. Menacers. Lame yes, im not sure. You have to come up with that for yourself.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

You could just not name the creatures and call them something like Un-Spec 9 (un-specified speices 9).
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

as far as the name, I don't have any idea.
for the rest, what would be cool is small shiny chromed robots; you should do them in CG, much less a pain in the a** than stop-motion. as far as weapons, maybe something that reminds of insects; 2 little appendices on front and where the "mouth" should be, a sort of shredding weapon. I made this little critter in blender in about 15 minutes, just to give you an idea of what it might look like.

what's great with cg is that you don't have to do them all one at a time; all you need to do is(well, in blender that is) press shift+D, and you have a brand new critter! great when you need hundreds of them.

oh, zac, btw... coffee doesn't suit you. you should stop drinking that.
"More blood, More blood! Here, give me the bottle!"
-William Wyler on the set of Ben-Hur

http://darkartifacts.blogspot.com
darrigaz

Post by darrigaz »

Wow i love those cgi ones, was thinking about CGI but it seems a little difficult to learn (im both cowardly and lazy). Shall get a copy of blender and try.
WOOT SIGAGE!!!
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

well, get a copy of blender(which I remind everyone that it's absolutely free) and i'll send you the .blend file of the ones I made, if you want... but the most difficult part remains(in my opinion) animation.

I just want to tell you that the interface isn't really user-friendly... it'll seem VERY overwhelming at first. that's why I recommend this wikibook:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D/Noob_to_Pro

but for simple critters like that, all you have to know about is Scale, Extrude, Duplicate, Rotate. all of those are hotkeys, and easy to remember. (scale: s; extrude: e; duplicate: shift+d; rotate: r) so good luck!
"More blood, More blood! Here, give me the bottle!"
-William Wyler on the set of Ben-Hur

http://darkartifacts.blogspot.com
Zac
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Zac »

hehe, yay! im the new village idiot. yeh i should probabally stay away from my mums medication cabinet from now on :)
but really, i was just bored so...yeh, you know what boredom can do to people.
and to tell you the truth, Rhys actually wrote pretty much all of that post (hehe, hes gonna get p*** at me now cos i revealed that)
anyway, i kinda like the cgi/robot ones, but theyd be really hard to animate. if you are gonna use them, make them burrow into the victims skin and rip them up from the inside.
but please, do NOT use the cardboard ones in an actual film...they're pretty lame. i dont get why everyone loves them so much?
I like you, when the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Zac, who loves them? Name one person in this thread who said that that. And how are they 'everybody's new best friend?'

I second what Bloodymess said about that wikibook, it's a really good introduction to Blender.