massive headshot

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

bloodymess

massive headshot

Post by bloodymess »

Hiya! For the movie I'm gonna shoot this summer, I need a character to be shot by a shotgun in the head. He will be seen from behind and he'll have a hood, so it can be a dummy without any problem; The problem is I need an impressive and gorey exit wound. I thought of a dummey head on which i would tape a packet of fake blood and a squib, but I'm afraid it won't be enough; I thought of using the compressed air technique, but it need s to tear the hood, and the blast must be larger than a unidirectional squirt. I want the back of the hood to be torn appart and brain&blood flying everywhere, with maybe a few skull fragments. for the brain, blood & skull, I know how to do it, I just need a way to propulse it that will give the look of a shotgun exit wound and enough power to tear the back of the hood(which can be pre-scored without any problem) any suggestions?
"More blood, More blood! Here, give me the bottle!"
-William Wyler on the set of Ben-Hur

http://darkartifacts.blogspot.com
Bocca

RE: massive headshot

Post by Bocca »

Have you ever done/seen a bottle of vodka stuck in a watermelon? *there is a point to this).

1. Buy a watermelon.
2. Make a litre of fake blood.
3. Instill the fake blood into the watermelon.
4. Stick watermelon on dummies body.
5. Stick an explosive charge in/on watermelon.
6. Blow the sh*t out of it.

Optional:
1.5. Paint the watermelon a fleshy colour.
1.75. Stick a wig on it.
5.5. Slice the hood a little, so when the watermelon explodes some gore and stuff will fly out backwards.
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Deffinately blow up a melon, use cantalope actually but hollow it out first. Although you're canadian IDK if its legal to go to a shop and buy gunpowder or to buy firecrackers and take them in half. If that doesn't work then just shoot a melon or go to www.exposure.com and look at their compressed blood hits, just get a bugger tube.
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

yeah, great idea (for the melon.) The thing is that I don't know if I need a firearm permit to buy gun powder... at the worst, I'll make some myself, if I can find potassium nitrate...

smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

do the melon technique and hollow it out and fill it full of cherry filling to save money on blood. if you can get access to a gun use it.ps I can help you make your own just pm me but I want prove of how old you are cuz this is dangerous.
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

I already know how to make gunpowder, I've already done it, and I'm 16, but thanks anyways!

personnally, I think the cherry filling might cost me more than the fake blood,
and I thought of using a real gun(I have the perfect .12 gauge shotgun) but it's to dangerous since I'll be filming from just behind(from a distance safe enough to protect me from watermelon shrapnel, but not safe enough to have a shotgun pointing at me). thanks for the idea anyways!

UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Depending on where you are in Canada you shouldn't have a problem with black-powder so long as you're older than 18. Here (in Alberta) I can walk down to the Canadain Tire and walk out five minutes later with enough of the stuff to take on a small colonial country. Not kidding.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

great! it simplifies my problem alot. so all I'll need to do is convince my dad to go fetch me a can of explosifs ;) it shouldn't be a problem. btw, I worked with the stuff only in small quantities(as squibs). do you know how much i'll need to buy to blow a watermelon? I don't wan't it to explode sending burning pieces of fruit into oblivion, i just want it to rip apart and send chunks at a few feet.

Bocca

Post by Bocca »

experiment.

Work out how much you need for a squib. A squib can explode a condom with blood it at a decent trajectory rate.

Now guesstimate the ratio of condom to melon (say 1:35)

Then times the amount of explosive by 35, shove it in, and blow the f*** out of it.
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

When I do it I'm going all out. I'm getting a sheeps brain from the local butcher, use different shades of blood and put them all in the cantalope, a fals pair of teeth and maybe fake plastic eyes. I'm probably casting my victims face then making a foam positive out of it. I'll post the finished product.
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

that's gonna be great! but don't you think that cantalope skin is too thin and flexible? I personnally prefer using a watermelon. it's more skull-like. but I'm curious of seeing the effect using a cantalope, so when you're finished, I hope you'll post a clip on the forum!

DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I know it's old but I'm bringing it up

I'm making my 1:1 scale bazooka prop which will be made by custom grip sculpting, spraying glue on a PVC pipe, putting fine sand on it/spraypainting then a sealer which I hope will work.

The face will be made cheaply but hopefully highly effectively...
It might be made with a HOLLOW cantalope with a SMALL layer of liquid latex over it. Then I will cast my friends face in a plaster and add liquid latex to the plaster negative making a face of liquid latex. Glue that onto the cantalope, then cut a hole ontop of the head. Then put an animal brain from a butcher's shop inside of it with a small bottle of dry ice INSIDE of that. Fill the cantalope with fake blood consisting of corn syrup and food coloring, then pour red water into the bottle which is inside of the cantalope, twist the cap on, throw the wig on it then press record and run.

This is the point to the dry ice with water, it's called a dry ice bomb. I have no place to buy gunpowder so I'm going the ghetto route! http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... y+ice+bomb
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

U could always buy the footage of the head explosion on detonation films, as well as some of the blood. Detonation films is like one of the only sites that has blood stock footage.
Hide or fight for your life?
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I want to do it the real way, I'm not buying footage of some other guys head blowing up. + it will look better!
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

The whole thing would be easier if the victim was put on his knees first, that way you could get a low angle shot looking up at the shooter - when the shotgun goes off, the blood could be shot from an air compressor from below the frame onto the camera lense for an extra gory effect.

But so far I think that DED's idea is the best.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Incase your talking to me in your first paragraph, I'm using a bazooka, the splatter will be more of an explosion.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

or u could do it the old way, change the angle and just see the blood fly every where, then cut it again to see the headless person fall to the ground.
Hide or fight for your life?
FabianJansen

Post by FabianJansen »

Melons are amazing, they are possibly the best thing for any gore effects. Blow one of those up on a dummy and it would look amazing!

Cut a circular hole in the back (keep the cut out 'plug') where you want it to explode out, stick a blender inside the melon through the hole and mush up some of the inside with that. Fill lots of ketchup or fake blood inside and then stick the plug back in, with a little sticky tape or glue if you need to. Now make a smaller hole on the front side of it opposite that hole and stick a small explosive in or even connect an air compressor or a pressure washer works good, the explosion, air pressure or water will blow out the hole and the stuff inside.
"These are the voyages..."
Freshy

Post by Freshy »

hey man, it would be sick to use compressed air like the device they have on detonationfilms.com blown out onto a wall or white sheet or something. to get the ripped hood, score the hood in a ton of places withg a razor blade so it rips way easier, and then, cut in a second shot of taking a huge psi blood blast through the scoring. it will rip and the blood inside will look cooler than seeing a burst of air going through the hood...good luck...

(also, for the through the hood shot, cut a bunch of peices of PVC piping into fragments and put it in the blood mix. i also love using some shaved steak in there too. its to gross to imagine, but it looks AMAZING...

peace
dmosher

Post by dmosher »

We did it the Savini way.. kind of...
A quick and dirty latex copy of a lifecast of the victim, once dry fill with plaster and run off. Whats left inside makes a thin but sturdy shell (fake cranium), fill with foam pieces, blood filled condoms, gelatine... I even use extra latex pieces I had just cut off from the mask, once we even threw cheetos and corn chips in there. Use anything that gets gross when it's damp. Once it's done we hit it with a real 12 gauge birdshot round, but I have seen iit done with an explosive charge stuck into the nostril of the mask which also looks nasty.score the back of the mask to get a blow out
You'll eat it and you'll like it.. or you'll starve!
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

That must have looked wicked, please say you have a clip to post!
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
dmosher

Post by dmosher »

I will see if I can dig one up.. sure.
D
You'll eat it and you'll like it.. or you'll starve!