Human Torch

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

bloodymess

Human Torch

Post by bloodymess »

Here, i'm gonna ask about a very dangerous and stupid stunt that i'll do in a movie i'm gonna make this summer. there's a scene that asks for me to be completely on fire. Not like a moving fire ball, just flames burning on my self. I'm gonna have burning arms, thighs and back. I know how I'll do most of it, but I still have interrogations: Which what should I thicken the fuel?(Contact cement) and what product can protect my face? (most of it will be protected with about 3 full faced hoods dipped in ice cold water) But I need to see so there will be holes in them, that's where I need protection. I thought of hydratant creme or KY jelly, but I think they'll probably only dry out. and I also need that kind of product to put in my hair, the rest of my face and my hands(just in case the many layers of cold water soaked protective clothing don't do the trick). So what product should I use? (the rest of my body will be heavily protected, with at least 5 layers of thick, ice cold water soaked clothing)
"More blood, More blood! Here, give me the bottle!"
-William Wyler on the set of Ben-Hur

http://darkartifacts.blogspot.com
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Uh that still sounds very dangerous, i would only do it with alot of people around, medical pplz and fire extinguisers, even then i would try not to do it. Learn how to do it properly with the right tipe of clothing, fire exptinguiser people and u would be fine.
Hide or fight for your life?
ra2929

Post by ra2929 »

When concerning amatuer filmmaking, always ask this question when it comes to any kind of stunt or FX: Is this nessecary to my story? Absolutely, nessecary? Can my script be modified to keep safetya priority? Remember, that Hollywood Stunt men are paid well (not as much as they should be.) And so are FX guys. I have a rule I go by. I take an inventory of my resources before a single letter hits the script. Use what you have. Can the character have some other, safer, gruesome way to die? Think about it.
"How I learned to stop worrying and LOVE THE BOMB!"
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

well, it must be gruesome, the character(a demon) must still have all his limbs(and it must be something that has a thin possibility of being non lethal, since he survives), and it can't be done with a gun(he'll finally be destroyed at the end after being shot with a 12 gauge shotgun in both shoulders and in the head.) Plus, it must be somewhat demon-related. and after this attack he comes out of a lake. In those circumstances, I can only think of being in fire, HOWEVER, if any of you have any idea, BELIEVE ME it will be appreciated alot.

ZombieKrieg2005

Post by ZombieKrieg2005 »

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1217145

http://www.advantagegear.com/index.php? ... d+Raingear

top is a how too, bottom is fire resistant clothing. Is there a way you can film each part alight/lighting up individually and use quick cuts showing no more than the arms/legs head at any one time and so not die in a burning ball of flame!
http://lyssophobiaproductio.tripod.com/
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I'm trying to do this too and probably will beacuse it would look good on camera. Just don't do something stupid like wear a sweater or something so the liquid can seep through and you can't put it out, maybe you could wear a rubber shirt or something not like those are very common.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

And remember, only wear natural fibres (wool or cotton). Polyester or any other synthetic (except Nomex) will melt to your skin and... well, not pretty.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

Finally I decided to do it; ZombieKrieg: Your how to is for setting naked parts of your body on fire, I'm talking about a full body flame reaching up to 250°C. however, thanks for searching!
DEDFX: If you do it before me, (I don't know exactly when I'm gonna do it, probably at the end of the summer), tell me how it went. oh, and what I'm gonna use for fuel(thickened contact cement) won't soak into clothing, plus it's gonna be wet clothing. if you do that with gasoline and dry cloth, than you probably won't be here to talk about it once it's done. for all pyrotechniques used near or on somebody, gasoline is a big no-no.

sooooo, for the clothing, I thought of using a thight cotton jumpsuit as a base, with over it a long sleeved shirt I'm going to make by sewing dollar store oven mittens, to protect me from the heat, and as pants for that coat of cloating I'm gonna put cotton (not denim) pants with a oven mitten padding over the thighs. after that, I'm going to put on a t-shirt followed by 2 hoodies, and 1 or two pair of jeans. I'm going to put on my face a few "hoods"(being french, my english isn't perfect; here what I call a hood is those kinds of wool things that fully cover the face except for the eyes and mouth) and all this will be heavily soaked in ice cold water, with over that the character's long coat, made out of cotton, which will beeee... soaked up too! and for fuel, I'm gonna use a thickened contact cement(it's what's used by lots of stuntmen) so it stays in place and don't soak into the clothing. it should do the trick, and since i'm gonna extinguish it by going into a lake, it should be safe.(I only have about 10 yards to walk while I'm on fire)

Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

I would not do this. It is far to dangerous. It would only take seconds for you to seriously maim yourself for life. Even ice cold water will turn to steam in an instant. The water you think is going to keep you cool could easily vapourise, taking your skin with it. The trouble with burning people, even with professional stunt men, is that it is always obvious they are covered in protective clothing. Either the shot is going to look rubbish, you are going to die or end up looking like the elephant man. Either way I don't think it is worth the risk.

The only risks I take are getting equipment broken or getting myself into trouble. NEVER getting seriously hurt.
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

I'd hire someone who's a professional. Really, I don't think this is something good for a low budget. Maybe just do some motion tracking and particle effects in max or something.
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

i dont know how good this would look but i would recommend this or something similar to this so that you dont die. Just get some stock footage of flames and put it over you when you edit it and maybe it will look like you are on fire. I would try that first before lighting yourself on fire