"Vietcong" new film for Escape films

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CaptainAmerica

"Vietcong" new film for Escape films

Post by CaptainAmerica »

This is a movie I wrote and filmed and edited in one day. It took me 7 hours to make it, because it was due the next day for history class. So I hope you all injoy.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6153605884
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: "Vietcong" new film for Escape films

Post by Gyro »

Very impressive for one day. That water was dang cold though, anywho, I quite liked the cinematography although you can see some houses in a couple of shots. The color correction is pretty cool, but it might have been a little too much, (reminds me of The Matrix). Also, SFX, I know you only had one day but it's totally looping. Overall, I like the film especially the sequence with the water. Props dude, it would have done well in a twenty four hour contest!
@seanbagley
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

Thanks man, I think it is was funny that you hear that screaming.
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Few degrees of seperation: two years ago we made a Vietnam film entitled Vietcong for a history class. Using this exact music. I would sue you for copyright enfringement... but, y'know... we enfringed copyrights too :P

Movie was okay. Little hard to follow, camerawork needs improvement, stuff like that.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Oh dude! I totally forgot your movie was called Vietcong! Haha! That's way funny.
@seanbagley
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

i also heard a dog barking

i liked the fact you didn't show any of the vietnemiese (spelling) faces, maybe you didn't have the uniforms but it still worked

i'm very surprised you went under that water fountain and in the tunnel, i'd be scared of wrecking my camera

overall entertaining to watch and very productive for 7hours work
Last edited by ctbullet on Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

thanks, it was pretty rushed.
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Haha, that's a nifty movie. But I'm wondering if an AK would really still work after being submerged in water...
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

An AK will work after being submerged in anything. I shall give this video a look when I'm back on a private computer.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

Epsilon,
Have you seen that AK experiment they did on some forum? They tossed an AK in a puddle and ran it over with a truck a few times and it still went "bang"...the AR test didn't go so well...
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

There is actually a lot in common with this film and Gyro's (this is the danger, that if you guys are all mates in r/l, at the same school etc, with the same influences etc, u might end up making the same kind of movies etc.

How are these similar, well they both have frenetic action sequences, interspersed with slo-mo (sad music 'Johnnny' style deaths) ending with a memorial sequence. The difference, (and im just being brutally honest here) is Gyro's is better cos it obviously had more technical planning etc. However just as that film was contrived and cliche'd, so is this one, if not more so.

First tho let me commend you, there are some really interesting things here, for example the use of water, does add a sensory element to the story that sets it apart to others, you are, whether you realise it or not, making the environment a character. It is BY FAR the most interesting character in this film.

Props, guns etc, and VC etc etc, location, all look fine imo but you are PUNISHING your audience by forcing them to endure soldiers who are played by some actors whose voices have not even broken yet, while really they all looked too young, (was Sean the river guy?) If so, he almost looked convincing, (but only as the rawest recruit in such a film) the others were too young.

The pace was good! Kept attention, but the cinematography was while effective, still too 'chaotic' for most, who are not immersed in this genre of film. Bear in mind, that ridley scott and spielburg, used shaky battle cam in a subtler fashion than this film (barely perhaps.) But it made the difference, as parts of the action did become 'too' hard to follow, as was the story.

Bear in mind there is no rule saying that postmodern war films have to be filmed in this manner, consider alternative depictions used for example, 'The Thin Red Line'

Scenes you must avoid now are the 'Nooo Johnny' moments, and the memorial sequences at the end, for these are totally inappropriate. Trust me, there is not one vet who will be shedding a tear by this movies end, to appreciate you visiting the same landmark his mates are probably buried by.....

This is more accomplished than your last film, but you are letting yourself down with the poor and obvious influences visible in your work. Tell stories from different characters (unlikely) and make the stories unlikely...

Here's an example of the top of my head... Vietnimese child going about the jungle, collecting water, (keeping your river theme) finds injured GI... panics... runs... returns... and the 2, thru the film, build friendship, the kid keeps bringing water, the GI embittered - warms to the child. Then SCARY MOMENT - one day VC patrol, but the kid he hides the GI underbushes... he survives unnoticed by the patrol. VC kid, reveals the GI once more to give more water, only to find the GI has succumbed to his wounds... but he died at peace... he didn't die alone... but protected... by an unlikely friend... a child of a people he thought, were all his enemies...

There you go, maybe that sucks, but jesus it ain't the same old same old is it? Thats what you must consider :)

PS - Finally the music - STOP the random ethnic tracks, these are embarassing to cultures, and make your story look like the souless corporate creations there based on :)
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Yeah... I'm the river/tunnel guy.

Also, keep in mind that it was written, filmed and edited in seven hours.
@seanbagley
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

It's got pace, I'll definatly give it that. Sure there are things a'plenty that I could say I didn't like about it, but it wouldn't be worth the time, mine or yours. It was enough to keep me watching to the end, whick is saying a lot, I've go the attention span of a squirell. Keep writing them, keep putting em' up and I'll watch!
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

well its a point worth noting that audiences don't care or discern how long a film took to make (when they consider how good or bad it is.) Sure us filmmakers might go 'wow' if something is quite good, (and it was made in a day) but impartial audiences don't care. Hence i wouldnt myself give feedback based on 'how good it is for a 7 hour film' just how good it is as a short film imo :)
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Nice job, it was really good, Especially for 7 hours!
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Okay for 7 hours. Camera was shaking alittle too much, I wish it was closer to the people rather than being so far way: giving it a more intimate feeling. More of my We Were Soldiers sounds, I'm too flattered. :P I thought the blood was way too red.

I have to admit when Sean jumped out and started yelling, I just bursted out laughing.

Also, did you get lazy or something? Couldn't the written part be done a few days back bringing a better story, or was it assigned the day of. :D
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

that was a great movie , I wished you did better blood effects but like you said you only had 7 hrs to do it all
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

Good movie, really didn't like how it looked throughout all of the running though, way too jerky for me. Amazing that anyone can finish something like that in one day though. Kudos to you.
[img]http://f5.putfile.com/6/16618192897.jpg[/img]
got lazy on the siggy...
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

well thanks for the comments.
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
freed

Post by freed »

First off Props to
Lawriejaffa

For sorting out your s***. And pretty , much hit it all on the head.

So all I can do is repeat parts in a less polite turn.

My eyes are Bleeding after that one Mr Haight. I really didn't have clue what you were trying to do there.

Yet again you do a Utah Trademark wit the white balance way over and there were times where I could hardly see because the screen was just too white. So yet again, Lay off the white balance, silly billy.

Another thing about your camera work was the fact all it ever did was shake, now whether you were having a 7 hour epileptic fit throughout the filming or not, a shaky camera is good in certain scenes for excitement, NOT in every single shot. You overdid that too much.

As for the story and plot, what plot ? Was that meant ot be a 7 minute chase sequence?

You gave us no clue to what, where when, how, why...so maybe next time give us some kind of idea to what's going.

Lastly, not sure if it's another trend with you Utah dudes, but you had the exact same score Gyro used in his war thing. the same indian culteral thing, which you've done in a lot of your films, not touching anymore. Be more versitile in your film making.

The acting was lame, however Gyro was pretty good at the waterfall bit where he was just spazzing out at the other dudes. Props to his skillz, there.

Overall, nothing more of just another Matt Haight film, crappy camera work and editing, bad story (even though there wasn't a story) and an obvious peice of just random fighting and dumb violencre for no reason.

Maybe go back and play Lego or something because Film making isn't obviously for you.

1.5/10
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

yah same with most... you are much better than me but lay off the white balance.... widen some shots.... they just got to close up and kinda gave me some claushterphbia

freed.... holy cr**.... you gave constuctive critisism? my eyes must be devcieving me...

anyone else notice that as soon as aarov came back so did freed? hmmm? although im not accusing anybody of two accounts
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
freed

Post by freed »

Zacatac, props to the originality by the way on your ill rhyming skillz.

I'm constructive 95% of the time. Take a good look at my posts and see for yourself.

As for your little conspiarcy which you can flip and shove it, I'm not aaronv2. I'm far superior and don't spend all day at my computor desgining models to make myself look talented.
Sgtpadrino doesn't pose topless on public forums like a bellend.
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

freed wrote: I'm not aaronv2. I'm far superior and don't spend all day at my computor desgining models to make myself look talented.
hah i smell a catfight if he heres this

and i rhymed? i must be extra talented then....
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

freed wrote:I'm far superior
You know, I've not really had a problem with you until that comment. Most of your comments, while blunt, speak the truth or even offer constructive criticism. But to say you are superrior to someone is just plain arrogant.
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
freed

Post by freed »

ALove wrote:
freed wrote:I'm far superior
You know, I've not really had a problem with you until that comment. Most of your comments, while blunt, speak the truth or even offer constructive criticism. But to say you are superrior to someone is just plain arrogant.
This is the part where I care.

Obviously you have a problem with Sarcasm.

You now have a problem because you've just dicovered i'm arrogant....?haven't you rread my previous posts. Glad you finally caught on with the haters.