"In The Clear" Full Film Download!

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

"In The Clear" Full Film Download!

Post by Gyro »

Iraqi war film is up for download, "In The Clear" on Google Video, runs about 14 minutes.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... e+Clear%22

All critiques are welcome, thanks!
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

O

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Righto! Well time to review a film ;)

Well i know your sensitive to criticism Gyro ;) But it all helps right (just don't snap at one of my poor films in revenge lol!

There are positive and there are negative elements in this film, and because much of this is very good the bad points that do exist, stick out more.

Let me start by saying Gyro, (and trust me this is a complement) I do think you are a talented individual (and im working in the industry, sure at a low level) but i can recognise it in you. You have a producer's eye as well as a director's eye. You went to the bother to get good looking costumes, good location, and props etc. This for a start gives your film visual credibility ;)

The actors were almost suitable, truth is they are still too young looking to be completely convincing. This might be infuriating, but to an ordinary audience they will be a little alienated to these characters cos of the age, and will not be completely convinced during their brief conversation on their prepareness for war (outside the hanger etc) because of this. That said however, there a different league to CtBullets beanie babies!

The performances were for the most part 'stale' and distant. Your working with friends and people who are motivated about your projects yeah! Well i think the next step is to find people really motivated about acting. The guys were okay but wooden (not terribly tho but still wooden.) The actress playing the reporter was far too detached to what was going on around her, unemotional, from her survival of the hostage massacre to her monologue at the end.

The story was a little confusing, now i understand it is a simple story (and theres nothing wrong with that) but your edit, did make us jump from the guy being kidnapped to the 2 soldiers suddenly being a place shooting people without much for us to understand how or why. Likewise there is not much to tell us that the pilot at the beginning has been shot down etc.
Overall you could explain more to the audience what is happening through the characters dialogue.

The cinematography, while effective in representing disparity and panic etc, is while good still contrived. People know this form of visual code, when they see this cinemotraphy they think - Black Hawk Down. In fact Ridley Scott has a lot to answer for, this style is remnisent first in Gladiator, then in Black Hawk Down etc (forgive my typos.)
In a case of one of my films, you critisised it for being 'boring'. Ths suggestion was that my style was incorrect however, and i cannot help but imagine you percieving certain styles to be right and wrong based on other succesful films. There was a million ways this film could have been told 'visually' and you chose not by coincidence, films with that style already as your inspiration. Hence, while you choose this form (black hawk down style) i think it is detrimental, to you setting your own form of storytelling and visual style. (just something to bear in mind.)

Likewise with the 'over-exposed effect', this is what ridley scott did in black hawk down too. The reason was to create an 'alienation' effect with the audience, so that they were forced to associate his 'representation' of a foreign environment with their reality. With your good location, this effect helps to make it look like Iraq, but does so by the magic employed already in the very distinctive style of Ridley Scott. It is relevant, that you consider how obvious your inspiration is, for while it may impress your friends how close your film comes to resembling your action movie favs, its not so inspiring to video/film professionals. (this may seem irrelevant to your current point in high school life, but worth bearing in mind for the future!)

The sound suffers a lot from outside wind? It blasts through your soundtrack, and is so bad at points (the wind volume) that it interrupts your film! Otherwise dialogue in general is a little hard to hear, apart from certain sequences which are fine.

The choice of music is always vital, and in this regard your film is let down by cliche as well, bear in mind, that americans are often critisised as artists for their 'ambiguis' interpretation of the world beyond their shores. By collecting what seems to be a wide (too wide) mix of different 'ethnic' music you fall into that stereotype. (bear in mind you can always use a very alternative soundtrack too! Music is your films second voice.

Cynical audiences will find the cheese factor in the film imposing! Bear this in mind with GI Joes rescue and the unnecessary memorial at the end.
For such an obvious action film to 'tag on' a memorial ending, to give it some kind of 'dignity' is to anyone remotely cynical, - quite embarassing. Remember Saving Pvt Ryan only barely got away with it!

So good visuals, good production values, bad sound, mediocre acting, and very very contrived and unoriginal story and 'style'. However, the good news is, that good ideas and good writing are the cheapest things to improve!

So bear in mind, that to an extent, just cos an artist produces something that resembles great work, doesnt make it great too ;)
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: O

Post by Gyro »

Thank you very much for the very well constructed criticism, I've printed everything you've said out and will most definately check back through it for my next film.

I did, although forget to mention that there are 6 shots in the film that I have rerendered the sound and will repost online in a few days.

Thanks again, Lawriejaffa.
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Ah right no prob matie :) here to help etc.

You know what would be interesting, is if u ever wanted to direct, a short script id written - say using ur resources :)

In fact if your ever curious on that score, my company would say 'commission' you to direct it, and in exchange provide you with business references and others niceties (you'd still own the film too.)

If your ever interested it could be fun and interesting but i know ur probably busy!

In anycase keep up the good work. I've got a film for you to check out too, if u get a chance try 'Battle for Algiers' and 'The Killing Fields' - Very different flavours of films u may find interesting :)
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Oh definately, let me know about both suggestions! Thanks again.
@seanbagley
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

bloody awesome film

loved your shakey cam style, really suited
some crit

the music from we were soldiers, didn't seem to suit the occasion of the pilot being rescued,, and the reported could ahve acted better at the beginning, she seemed to progess and the film went on

other than that nothing, you better win an award for it!!!
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
a.qotsa.fan

Post by a.qotsa.fan »

This is amateur filming jackass AMATEUR, we are under 18 and we know it . We are not adult and we cannot change things so whats the point beating us up about something we cannot change so i would politely as you to shut your trap on these types of occasions.

Apart from that I loved the film
Wasn't much dialogue but it was well made and well edited and real film, haven't seen one this good for a very long time, heck you've also got a great location, thats what we are finding hard,
The uniforms were fantastic and i couldn't find a fault with the actors
Love it.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

a.gotsa.fan - 8 posts punk and your proclaiming we're all amatuers lol? That is not the case, some people like Gyro here are obviously not kiddo amatuers, while people like sonnyboo are the next big thing.

By all means be defensive against the criticism of others if you disagree, but don't throw the cover of 'amatuer' over the works of thef artists here, for there are very few here that have a desire to remain amatuer forever...
lr26jan

Post by lr26jan »

I've been lurking around watching all videos for a long time now, but this is the fist time I've actually wanted to post a reply.

All I can say is "Wow!" That was amazing, I really enjoyed it!

Keep up all the great work guys and I'll look forward to watching more from you :D
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Hey thanks everyone! Ha, amatuer... thanks!
@seanbagley
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Ah this is what I like to see, an amatuer film that looks like a real film! And a good one it was too!

My only problems with it were the sound levels. One minute the bullets were gonna blow my speakers, the next I was turning them up to hear the dialogue.

Was great though. Love the colours and the shots.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

in the defense of my bud, he was having a go at lawrie, not gyro's work, he didn't refer to his work as amatuer!!
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Ornsack wrote:Ah this is what I like to see, an amatuer film that looks like a real film! And a good one it was too!

My only problems with it were the sound levels. One minute the bullets were gonna blow my speakers, the next I was turning them up to hear the dialogue.

Was great though. Love the colours and the shots.
Hey, thanks Orny! Yeah, I'm definately still learning audio level business, it's a complicated process to master for me I think. Anyways thanks again and I'm glad you liked it!
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

lol ctbullet, that is not a defence for your friend, he said what he said - screw him :)

On the subject of amatuer, there is a thin line in that disctinction. A lot of this project is not amatuerish, so I don't think 'amatuer' fits its definition, but it is nontheless a subjective one. For 'amatuer' filmmakers only exist through 2 ways, either by calling themselves amatuer, or by getting berated by known professionals as 'amatuer' (in this case subjective.)

Its important for people to remember, that a director is a director when he directs... he doesnt get a magical certificate from film school or life, that says he is a real filmmaker :) be him under 18 or over :)
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

matthawkins
crazy amatuer film-making

sorry, i'd thought i'd throw that in, lol, anyway its all sorted, so, back to gyros stuff
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Okay ctbullet, we're all crazy amatuers then lol especially sonnyboo...
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Please don't argue about this on here, I'd like more advice and criticism on my film in order to improve.
@seanbagley
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Overall, I thought it was excellent. It was well shot, and for the most part the music was chosen well, and the editing was nice and tight. The problem I have is what Lawrie said - it's too reminiscent of Ridley Scott and other similar war flicks. I think this film would have greatly benefited from photography that was opened up more and music that didn't come from big time Hollywood war movies - personally I'd be interested in seeing how this would fit to a few Godspeed songs. The We Were Soldiers song seemed very out of place - I think you should have kept with the same song that was playing throughout the beginning of that scene.

Also, the fact that you had close up shots on the ejection port of that XM177 while it was firing made it that much more obvious that it was an airsoft gun. Once again, look into PFC guns for your next, larger Iraq picture.

Overall, it was very well done. Inspirational, and makes me that much more frustrated I live in such a bland part of the country. Damn I wish I had some good scenery :P
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

I liked this movie, I just hope you fix the sound and I saw one muzzle flash that was off. But I liked the film it was really good.
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

watched it again and...

i think the story could have been explained a bit better to be bruetly honest

i'd seen the trailer and new that a pilot had gone missing but anyone who was watching the film without the trailer, i'd think would struggle, i was amazed by you filming and equipment i forgot to mention it....
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Thank you everyone, don't be afraid to tell me what I need to improve on, that's what this site is for.
@seanbagley
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

I wouldn't worry about the story Sean I could fallow it well and I didn't know alot, I thought this movie was the best movie that you have ever made and I think you did amazing job on it. and the costumes were sweet.
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Thanks man, means alot.
@seanbagley
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

That was a really nice film.

I think all the crit has been covered. The main thing I found to be a problem was a sound, some of the gunshots were overly loud or too quiet, same with the speaking.

And in the car chase, the reporter girl is smiling even though there is sposed to be bullets flying over her head, maybe she's hardcore - but I'd expect a civilian to be freakin out.

And I also got a little confused, I was sure that at the beginning of the film the white car picked up the two US soldiers, but then the same car came back at them after the car chase with the bad guys in.

I did like your cinematography though, the shaken camera really added to the hectic nature of the gun battles. Really good.

Costumes were awesome, how much did they cost?

Good job, keep it up.
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
a.qotsa.fan

Post by a.qotsa.fan »

Sorry about the confusion,
I was talking to Lawriejaffa after in he was commenting on the film, he put about our stuff

"said however, there a different league to CtBullets beanie babies! "
And this anoyed me so i wrote that and it had nothing to do with "in the clear", sorry,

About the Film couldn't faulter anything and it certainly wasn't amateur, it was bloody good lol
Last edited by a.qotsa.fan on Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.