lighting!....help!

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

cantoloupe

lighting!....help!

Post by cantoloupe »

yea, lighting is quite important for a good looking picture, ive been looking at a set of lamps on BH for about 100 usd, but i realized that i actually have no idea what im supposed to be looking for.

i don't want lights that totally white out the set, so i guess an umbrella would also be a good idea...

does anyone have an idea of what to get/buy/find/make?
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: lighting!....help!

Post by OutcastJiob »

Yes. The first purchase you make should be a book on lighting. I have Motion Picture and Video Lighting by Blain Brown, and I've found it to be quite informative. There's lots of good resources available online, too. Read before you pay any significant amount of money for lights (or for anything else for that matter)!

And bear in mind you don't have to buy "genuine film lights". Lots of low-budget indies use household fixtures in cheap frames, or halogen worklamps, or even the ultrabright battery-powered flashlights bounced off card or otherwise diffused.

I'm certainly not an expert on lighting. Those are just my observations from my reading and messing about with things.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

Well, talking from a photography point of view.

You want lights that send out more light than heat, so not tungsten lighting. Halogen is fine for lighting on a budget. You also need to know the degrees kelvin for the light to see what colour the light will look through the camera eg. Daylight is around 5,600K whereas a tungsten bulb is 3,200K which means the light will be yellowy-orange when seen through the lens.

You also need to know where and what your using them for. If your lighting a studio, you can get large lights on stands or even lights that hang from the ceiling, whereas if your taking them out and about they need to be portable and lightweight.
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
cantoloupe

Post by cantoloupe »

i've been looking about for lighting kits on BH, here's one, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... Navigation

i was wondering if that one was any good, and i could supplement it with a diffusion umbrella, etc. Im also looking at the halogen worklamps...