Dirt Explosion

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Bocca

Dirt Explosion

Post by Bocca »

I want one of those Thunderpipe FX1 Compressed Air thingies from Detonation Films, but I dont have $250 and they probably wouldnt ship it to the UK anyway.

So I used the old lever technique.

Whaddya think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4K1W25HQdg

Methinx the first Jump is better but the second angle...

C&C Por favor.
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Dirt Explosion

Post by ctbullet »

that was wicked,

although there seemed to have been a large 'clump' lifted in the air,

like the dirt wasn't loose enough, you got the correct height, but i'd try and use drier dirt
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
delta_echo

Post by delta_echo »

Try using cement mixed in with your native soil. The incredibly fine particles give a nice "hang" effect, making the "explosion" seem much larger. At $5 for 50-100 lbs. its really cheap. Avoid breathing it in, however.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

The second cut was great, the angle and your roll. Although if the clump went a little higher and spread out more it would have been better. You used a plank and lever right?
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

it was two logs, i couldnt find anything flat so hitting down on a log and propelling off was difficult as there was no real surface to get enough friction on.
Formerly Jowka

JackBauerII

Post by JackBauerII »

I liked it. If you edit out the part where the actor jumps on the lever (I think) it will look awesome.
If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Sadly this method is taken from Speilburg... I hate that guy.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Yes, because something that was invented by a person you don't like should automatically be disqualified...

The video looked great, good to get the actors physical to sell the effect. One tip is to pile the dirt both on, and around the lever so it goes up and out. That way it doesn't all shoot up in the air as a ball before it starts to disperse. Keep it up!
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

DEDFX wrote:Sadly this method is taken from Speilburg... I hate that guy.
You hate the guy who has been considered filmmakings greatest thing since sound!

Anywho, it looked good for the most part depending on the device supposed to trigger the explosion. The problem with using this concept is that the dirt is to clumped and compacted together. Generally with an explosion you want to try and get the dirt to spread more.
delta_echo

Post by delta_echo »

Another easy option is to assemble your own air cannon. For about $15 for of tubing and glue you can make the basic frame. As for propulsion, if you have access to a compressor, use a dump valve. If not, the potato cannon (powered by hair spray) concept works fine after a little experimentation. Only problem with the latter method is that it must be used almost immediately as the aerosol vapors will start to settle.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I said it was a good method and it worked well for his test, but I dislike Spielberg, probably because everyone uses him as a cliche director.
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

lol, spielberg is odd...but makes some decent movies.

Yeah, we did pile up and around but the dirt was too damp and 'clumped'.

Im considering using concrete powder as mentioned above, talcon powder and drier dirt from a drier day.

UF: I try to do all my own stunts, partly because I cant do 3d animation and because in this situation masking ferns infront of the explosion would be a b*tch lol. And ... although it sounds weird...i think falling,tumbling,taking a few hits and landing hard is quite fun.
Formerly Jowka

Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

DEDFX wrote:I said it was a good method and it worked well for his test, but I dislike Spielberg, probably because everyone uses him as a cliche director.
I do not understand. You hate Spielberg because people idolize him as a director?
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I knew someone would say that, I guess I don't really hate him, I just don't like his work as much as everyone idolizes him to be the best director out there. Such as when people say "Your gunna be the next Spielberg!" It p*** me off.