slow motion

Video editing, format conversion, video file manipulation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

ideas_man69

slow motion

Post by ideas_man69 »

hey fellas..

just joined up, this site is great. im into film making / editing etc and there seems to be heaps of hints and ideas all over the place here.

anyway.. just wondering. im a big fan of premiere 6.5 and thats pretty much all i can use... whats the best way of doing a 50% slow motion with smooth motion and no flickering?

i always use the "No Fields" setting, so its not interlaced (as far as i know) but it always seems to flicker and jump.

if only my mini dv would record at 100fps :D (i wish)
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Welcome to the forum!

I to would like to know how to do Slomo effects, but on Pinnacle!

We are talking about slow-motion, not Matrix effects here!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

pinnacle sucks for slow motion. i used to use it but not i switched to premiere. I dont think there is a way to do smooth slow motion for pinnacle.
Peter Cote
Founder of Breakout Films

[img]http://i07.thefacebook.com/pics/3/0/n11400374_4237.jpg[/img]
bretoncrackers

Post by bretoncrackers »

your best bet would be to slow it to 50% with the no fields setting on, like you said, and to turn on frame blending, and then experiment with the following. I've seen footage where a clip was slowed down and pasted twice, because it was interlaced footage, and then you put them on separate video tracksand put one of the clips a frame ahead of the other. Set the transparency on the clip in front to 50% (or whatever floats your boat and makes things look nice). The clip should be much smoother.
jaredcosta

Post by jaredcosta »

Carnage7p wrote:pinnacle sucks for slow motion. i used to use it but not i switched to premiere. I dont think there is a way to do smooth slow motion for pinnacle.
thats true pinnacle sucks for slow motion..
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

there's a program named "MOtion Perfect". SOme paper mags released the fullversion of it on their cover disks lately. It will morph the frames if you stretch the length of a movie. Trying to stretch it 1600 percent in one step usually fails due to some morphing artefacts. but you can try to stretch it repeatedly, 2*2*2... THe app is also used to add tweening frames in videos with dropped frames.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Pinnacle really really sucks for slow motion, thats why I now use Premiere. To make it better for Pinnacle I would walk slowly then when I put it into slow motion it would look more decent.
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

A note to my "Motion Perfect" suggestion: I just tried to time stretch a movie in a *2*2*2 way. In the end it showed the same morphing artifacts like when I stretched it in only one step. Nevertheless the app may produce very nice slomo results depending on the material.
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

If you want, avisynth can bob your footage up to 60fps, and you can insert it at 1/2 speed in your 30p timeline.
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

There are some camcorders by JVC with built in slow motion support. AFAIK they are capable of recoding at double speed, although only half the screen size. But it's real Slowmotion. JVC Camcorder (GR-D270US) is one of them. They became pretty cheap lately, so it may be an option.
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

Some days ago I used to release a little tool that I use myself that is capable of doing some things many Editors cannot do.

It allows to split the interlaced fileds into 2 progressive frames (well pseudo-progressive) and to add crossfaded tweenframes.
It's a simple commandline driven exe. Nevertheless I think it's the best way to make slomo for free. Rates down to 4 times slower still look very liquid, although the vertical resolution may be only half of the original (due to field splitting). The frames probably should be deinterlaced (after splitting) to hide the artefact of doubled lines.

Well however, I hope it's useful for some of you.

Now BTW. just for in case some one of your Antivirus Apps will tell you there is a virus named Joker-something - it's not. This virus was coded with the same compiler, and some supersly Antivirus programs think they have identified it by a signature, but infact every program that was compiled wit this win32 compiler has this signature.
So to be on the save side you may go to www.blitzbasic.com and try some of the blitz3d complied programs over there to see they all have this signature.

Personally I don't care that much if people gonna use it, it's just the way that I wanted to release it to the public as long as I'm around.
It can be downloaded here:
http://www.melog.ch/csp_slomo/
XhuntedoverlordX

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

Okay. I'm sure that all of the stuff you've already suggested is probably easier, but if you want to do it the crappy, can't afford any cool software way, why not break your footage down into individual frames, and then copy each frame once and put them all back in order. This would change the number of frames instead of the rate of the frames, theoritcally making a slow-mo effect. Lemme know if you think it might work.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

I use AVISynth + VirtualDub

http://neuron2.net/bob.html
Trochaic

Post by Trochaic »

If you shoot with a high shutter speed then you can get the motion much smoother.
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

Of course, but show me a MiniDV camera that can do high speed shutter. And that is exactly the problem. I guess a good highspeed camera im 16mm will cost more than 50k$.