Shirt blood

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Shirt blood

Post by rhys »

Hey, I would like some kind of blood that goes on a shirt and looks like blood but doesnt stain, any ideas?
Example:
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media ... 428010.jpg
Hide or fight for your life?
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Shirt blood

Post by UFProductions »

I'm afraid you are out of luck for finding any kind of blood that is guarenteed not to stain fabric, but for realistic stains on cloth add cocoa powder (not hot-cocoa, the stuff you use in baking) to your mix. When it dries it dries in a two part stain just like real blood with a dark centre surrounded by a lighter ring of red.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

RE: Shirt blood

Post by Epsilon »

Just wreck a real shirt. If you can't find a shirt worth destroying... aren't there any places equivalent to a 99cent only store in Australia?
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Like a $2 shop, yes we have them. Im not exactly worrying about staining the shirt but mainly the consistancy of the blood, the sugar blood i have looks horrible on a shirt.
Hide or fight for your life?
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

Just go to Goodwill or something or Salvation Army (i dont know if they are in Australia. but they are second hadn stores)
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

For a shirt...sometimes just pure red food coloring will do the job. Depends on what you want the effet to be.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Wait until Halloween roles around and stock up on fake costume blood, that's why Matt, Kenny and I do and we've just got it stored all year for whenever we need to use some blood for our films. Speaking of which, Matt used up a freakin' mess load of it today.
@seanbagley
Asbjørn

Post by Asbjørn »

The fake blood with caro syroup and hot water, food colouring (lots of red, some yellow and green or blue) + the cocoa powder looked just fine the last time I tried it... if you add soap it won't stain all that bad (or so they say anyway). I seem to remeber that I got all of it off, just be patient.
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

I downloaded the fx-bible off of Nova Productions site. Its around 600+ pages long and really good. They had a blood recipe on there:

"Dark Blood

Needed:
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
• 3 or 4 tablespoon corn syrup
• 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red food coloring
• 2 drops yellow or green food coloring (optional)

Steps:
1. Mix the cocoa powder thoroughly into the water before adding the other ingredients - it may help to use warm water.
2. After adding the rest, blend the concoction well, and then wait for it to settle a bit.
3. Either skim the bubbles & chocolate scum off the top with the edge of a kleenex, or pour the mixture into another container. The longer it sits, the more the cocoa tends to settle to the bottom, which oddly mimicks the effect of real blood seperating.

Notes:
• This recipe splatters like real blood and , dries like real blood.
• If you splatter this mixture onto cloth, it makes neat two-part marks which dry into pretty convincing bloodstains.
"

you could give that one a go
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
Headless_Duck_Productions

Post by Headless_Duck_Productions »

If you could direct me to this fx-bible that would be great. I would like to see it.
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

its on the nova productions website. i think its in resources > guides
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

Corn syrup & food coloring blood, when quite thick, won't stain that much, if it's cleaned up when still wet; corn syrup seems to cover the coloring particles, so it doesn't stick to everything, however, the more it is dissolved in water, the more the blood will stain. In "The Godfather", there's a scene when a guy in a white suit get his throat slit, and it bleeds all over him: There was only 2 white suits, and they retook the scene a few times, with the suit getting back into pristine white.
personnally, in a small play I did in which I play an SS-Tötenkopf Haumptsturmführer, i'm shot to the heart wearing a white shirt under my nazi jacket; the shirt was soaked in blood, but came out as good as new of the washer. so yeah, if you don't want to ruin your clothing, good ol' karo blood might do the trick.
"More blood, More blood! Here, give me the bottle!"
-William Wyler on the set of Ben-Hur

http://darkartifacts.blogspot.com
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

bloody seems like you know alot about makeup effects I think we shall like eachother
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

I hope so :wink:
"More blood, More blood! Here, give me the bottle!"
-William Wyler on the set of Ben-Hur

http://darkartifacts.blogspot.com