Film School

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

madcowmovies

Film School

Post by madcowmovies »

So those who are at Film School or Are going too, are there grade requirements? I'm sure it varies from school to school, but for the most part do they look at your math and science grades? Or is just passing high school enough for the most part? My grades arent too bad, but they could be better, and my dream is too go to film school so I was just wondering. Thanks
http://madcowmovies.com
Pubicface

RE: Film School

Post by Pubicface »

It probably depends on what school your talkin about, but you should first off find out which one you'd like to go to, then call or email them so they can answer your question directly and so your not takin alot of guess or "well i think" answers.
http://www.farmaggio.com
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Don't go for the minimum requirements... acheive the best grades you can, and you will need not to worry. :D
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well I'm at a film school in Edinburgh, (about the only practical course on offer there, (theres 3 in the entire of Scotland)!

Its hard to say if ur in the USA mad but in the UK (and perhaps it applies to both places) if your talking university or (a technical college) however they work it.

In anycase its normally your portfolio (or showreel) as well as your grades that count a lot. Plus these courses i imagine are usually oversubscribed, meaning that you may well be competing against people older than yourself and with larger showreels. So uncle Epsilon is right in saying to achieve your best grades, but i would also suggest creating as wide a body of work as possible. Garner as much experience as you can and certainly read up on your film theory - art history and other fancy things.

Because there is also a 'language' of film and its associated theory. Some of the bumkins here remake nothing but what they've seen in a jerry bruckheimer production (or on Fox TV) you'll want to get way beyond that, and check lots of early b&w russian films, (ur getting the idea right)

Good luck mate ;)
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

Na they just want your money....
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

jesus redkorn... welcome to LIFE!
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

Ya i know when i was looking for a good film college, though i was smart I about it, im getting all my education for free, yeah!
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

nothings free redkorn...
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

:cuss: Why does grades need to matter in life!! they are just random letters LOL
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Exactly youngfilmmaker. The only scores they look at from high school is the overall score in your final year, for example 124 would make you a doctor, etc. Im not sure what its called but its some number that is given to them and then u can get into anything, but u need to get a certain score. Its the certificate of education or something, I'm not sure, I'm 13.
Hide or fight for your life?
redkorn

Re: RE: Film School

Post by redkorn »

Lawriejaffa wrote:nothings free redkorn...
Ya your right i guess im working for education Im a Photographer/Videographer for the US Air Force so im learning and getting paid what i luv to do. Its pretty sweet. Im also taking college courses at no cost to me.
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: RE: Film School

Post by Mr.Anderson »

Why does grades need to matter in life!! they are just random letters LOL
Amen. Especially in filmmaking. Grades in mathematics or science classes really have no bearing on a persons ability to interpret or create art on film.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
madcowmovies

Post by madcowmovies »

So I was looking at some film schools, LA Film school was one I liked. It's a one year program for around 30,000 would my grades matter a ton there as long as I can afford it? Im going to gradute easily its just that my science and math grades have been lacking...
http://madcowmovies.com
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

I really dont know
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
blue_dirt

Post by blue_dirt »

I'm just finishing my first of three years at the Art Institute of Portland, in Portland, OR.

I submitted a portfolio with some works, but I hear that wasn't needed. If you can afford the school, they will accept you.

Our film program is called Digital Media Production, but really, it should be digital Motion Pictures. Anyhow, they've got some great facilities, and great teachers. Great proggys and great equipment. For example, Premiere Pro, Final Cut HD, Avid Xpress w/ Mbox, Pro Tools, etc. Dat recorders, booms, windscreens, DVX100's, DVX100a's, all 3ccd, field monitors, the works. Then there's all the other majors, cause it's not exclusive to Digital Video. I did not want to go to LA for film, or digital video. LA sucks. But my bro is going to the Art Institute of San Diego for Animation or something of that sort.

If you're really serious about developing your skills, or even talent in this field, a field which you hopefully enjoy, do go to a school with professors who work or have worked in the field; who can give you real life, in depth feedback, support, and most important--knowledge. I say 100 percent, that going to a film school is worth it, and worth the networking with other students, and the fun, and the joy of developing your skills, and impressing yourself, and yourself upon others.
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

Most private art schools film or otherwise don't care what previous grades you had as long as you can pay the tuition. I found this out when I was going to transfer with an AA in video production to a private Media Arts school for my BA in Film production ( Funny thing is most of the classes for the BA I already took for my AA), I'll say this though make sure they are accredited if you are looking for a degree, also most unaccredited schools do not offer financial aid or scholarship incentives.
blue_dirt

Post by blue_dirt »

x2 on making sure they are accredited.

Yeah, they're a business first, and a school second.
Nba185

Post by Nba185 »

Yup. Private schools don't care about your studies,etc.

What are the best film schools?
myspace.com/minshproductions
myspace.com/minsh_com

Selling adobe softwares. PM for more info.