Ammo Belt

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

JackBauerII

Ammo Belt

Post by JackBauerII »

I'm almost finished building a Vickers machine gun prop and was stumped on what to make the ammo belt out of. I was wondering if there was anything that I could find around the house or buy for EXTREMELY cheap (this project is no budget; the gun is made out of a shoe box, some PVC pipe, scrap metal, and a cardboard tube)? Thanks!
If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

I dont know how well this would work. it would work better if it was from a far away shot because close up it would not look very convincing. Buy a bunch of straws and cut them to the size of the bullets. paint them and string them all together.

There are probably hundreds of better ideas, but that is all i have at the moment
ZombieKrieg2005

Post by ZombieKrieg2005 »

do what grant di and put lots of cheap clothes pegs on a cloth belt, and then spraypaint. From a distance it will look good, or buy a 'bullet belt', you can buy them from party shops for about £6 in england, dont know bout the US.
http://lyssophobiaproductio.tripod.com/
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

duh cloth preferably khaki and use tiny metal piping for the bullets.
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
JackBauerII

Post by JackBauerII »

Thanks. Also, I'm trying to think of a way to make it look like the bullets are being fed through the gun. All I've come up with is cutting a rectangular hole that passes through the gun and having a person lay down inside the machine gun position or off camera who pulls the belt through. Any other ideas?

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
ProdigyFilmsinc.

Post by ProdigyFilmsinc. »

You could have the person who is supporting the gunner by feeding the bullets through pretty much just move them. Don't keep him in tyhe shot for to long but just very quickly it could look good.
Who ever said digital is better than film should hang for treason.
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

If you're working on a zero budget, take two long pieces of inch thick scotchtape. Put down a long piece face up, and evenly space out what you are useing for the rounds. Once you are done, put another piece of equally long tape sticky side down on top of the first, molding it in the cartridge shape.
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
JackBauerII

Post by JackBauerII »

Prodigy, I don't quite understand what you're syaing. Tallman, thanks for the tip.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

ProdigyFilmsinc. wrote:You could have the person who is supporting the gunner by feeding the bullets through pretty much just move them. Don't keep him in tyhe shot for to long but just very quickly it could look good.
He is saying the assistant gunner who feeds the rounds should simply shake the belt. The motion implies the jerking caused by the advancing belt. :D