1940's Clothing

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

1940's Clothing

Post by chrisgreen »

Hey there, i'm going to start filming some test scenes for the latest script i'm writing to see if it'll work. But I'm having costume difficulties, i can't seem to find what 1940's normal/unfasionable clothing is like, from what i've seen so far (which isn't a great deal), trousers, and shirt, (that sorta thing) seem to be the sort of thing. I've googled it serveral times with different wording and so far haven't found anything of use, i was wondering if any one had ne thing (or knew of any thing) which would help.

Cheers
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

RE: 1940

Post by Epsilon »

eBay actually has a large section for vintage clothing.
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

ZombieKreig: Thanks a sh!t load mate, there is some really usefuly stuff there.

I've had a look on ebay and in the UK there isn't a great deal, i was looking to start filming in a few weeks (also need to get an actor in that time too) so i'm not sure i can wait for delivery from the US (also it'll be US fashion too, lol). But thanks any way.

I think my next port of call will be charity shops around the town i live in, they are great for older looking clothing
ZombieKrieg2005

Post by ZombieKrieg2005 »

Also had another thought, house clearence sales at auctions or at house clearance shops (in my home town of hereford we have 'the dinosaur market' which has about everything 'retro' but you do have to pay big for it...)
http://lyssophobiaproductio.tripod.com/
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

Yeah, i have found some places selling authentic 1940's clothing, but its soo pricey it'd completly screw the whole budget of the film
lukeprausnitz
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
Location: London, Engalnd, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by lukeprausnitz »

flat caps, shirts, braces, trousers for lower class
three piece suits, fedoras for most people
I would never join a club that would have me as a member
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Hey Chris mate er, your not the chap that said he was wanting to make a 'what if the germans' conquered the UK type movie are ya?

Cos if so, I don't mean to put a bummer on it, but there is already a famous enough film that deals with that topic, (that was released by a studio at the time, and is still available on dvd) that did the whole shebang.

It was called 'It happened here' i think, and its a big cult classic. (they had tanks and halftracks, did interviews with famous british fascists who in the film were playing nazi officials)

It was shot like a documentary / story, was probably a good few years ahead of its time, and bears a resemblance in style to 'The War Game' (probably the most amazing british docu ive ever seen)

Of course my whole email is pointless if your not the chris i heard making this project, but u asking for 1940s stuff makes me think it might be u! So just giving u a heads up mate on that film :)
ZombieKrieg2005

Post by ZombieKrieg2005 »

He is that chris, but so what? 'It happened here' was filmed in 1966 and was a low budget film then. Chris is not remaking, he is using a totally different story set in the same era. Saying it has already being made and is so famous that it would negatively influence his project is like saying that no film can now be made about D-Day because 'The Longest Day' has already been made.
I do apologise for being very blunt in this but I get irritated by people saying an idea has been done before, so you cannot remake it.

(also I didnt find 'It happened here' a very good film in everything except the story and some shots. I was irritated by the sound and some of the acting)
http://lyssophobiaproductio.tripod.com/
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well you don't have to apolagise for being blunt Zombiekrieg but it certainly doesnt mean your right... my point for chris was that from a producer's point of view, its more difficult to make that, very particular kind of film if its already been done so well BUT... of course you do always have to innovate also when making something thats similar (or one should do lol)

I mean my pointing it out to chris, is just to let him know WHAT has been made before (that so closely resembles his idea) that if he went near a 'what if docu political' kind of film, (like It happened here) then it would obvioulsy fail. But sure, theres loads of other ways of doing a film like this with that the setting of UK under occupation, for example (its a counter-factual historical drama, or action film, or anything.)
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Remakes are fine in some cases. Examples of movies that should not have been remade: The Love Bug, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Stepford Wives, you get the idea...
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

Thanks for the heads up Lawriejaffa, and for the defence Zombie, lol. It's weird the amount of research that has been done to this production and yet i haven't personally found any thing like it (that might reflect my research skills, i don't know), but i'll certainly have a look at 'It happened here' and i'll see how much i'm stepping on their toes. But mines more of a drama with historical background rather than an exact recreation (i don't have the money for tanks and half tracks, but i bloody wish i do, lol). I'm still writing it at the moment though, it has become difficult due to the budget issues, no money means no go for this sorta thing.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Hey Chris Green you should really talk to me a little more detail actually (come to think of it) we're doing a ww2 co-production later in this year with a government subsidised organisation in Scotland, (not set in scotland)

I wasn't trying to stomp out ur idea, but better u dont make it and it just happens to be too much like the other film (and get bumped for it) its always important to check the field as it were of whats already out there. But yeah Chris u got msn or something? Cos we got a production value of about 6 - 8k getting pitched to this project, and a modest level tv actor or 2 doing cameos? You could maybe blether to us about your project and vice versa ;)