Editing from 16mm film

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Mojo357

Editing from 16mm film

Post by Mojo357 »

Okay, I'm going to sound like an idiot, here, but I'm new at this so...
I bought a 16mm camera and was wondering how you would edit the film (once the footage is shot). Would I transfer it to a diff. medium and then edit it on the pc? And then transfer it to 35mm stock, for festivals?
Also, I've searched online and diff. companies are offering 16mm transf. to 35mm for only 145.00 an hr. How long would it take to transfer a feature?

Thanks,
Mojo
Pie_man

Post by Pie_man »

you can use a telecine

you project the imafe onto it then record the image through into a camera ....

such as a video/digital camera (which will allow you to record to computer) or maybee a 35mm camera but that might be hard

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... y=telecine

why film with 16mm if you want it 35mm?

or you could edit it the old fashioned way with a splicer and some glue ... but thats very dodgy you could ruin the film

[Edited on 24-8-2003 by Pie_man]
Mojo357

Post by Mojo357 »

Pie_man,

Thanks for the input. I actually looked into this and found that it's complicated. Do you have any experience using this machine? Also, I posted this same questionm, and have gotten responses, in the video editing thread.

Mojo
Pie_man

Post by Pie_man »

I dont have any experience with the telecine ... but from what i have seen its basicly just a mirror with a lens

I suggest recording the film youself ... you will save a tonn of money from those overcharging converters and its instant!!

here is a picture of one in action i found on ebay ( please note this one is a cheapo super-8 one)
projector at the side video/dv at the front

basicly you project in one end and capture with a video/dv camera in the other

I use super-8 and at the moment im to cheap to buy one i just project it onto a screen then record the projection

the thing about the telecine is that it keeps the image square and it makes the image recorded more intense as the light is contained and closer

telecine projectors skip out the middle box and you just film from the projector.

here is a 16mm telecine projector it is flickerless allowing you to record perfectly from a 16mm film its almost professional
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=15254

If you want to spend more you can get telecine projectors with built in cameras so there is no chance of quality loss at all

I think professional companies scan each frame of the film this way you get better quality. But you are using 16mm i dont think you need that?

Once you have it on DV or video you can transfer it to computer with a video card or with a DV through your firewire

I would go with editing it on computer you would need to fork out several several thousands if you want a film edititng suite and think about it if you want a peice of film to repeat you cant do it on film because you only have one copy ... or if you want the film to go backwards!! you get allot more versatitlity with editing on a computer

Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

interesting, i never knew that
Peter Cote
Founder of Breakout Films

[img]http://i07.thefacebook.com/pics/3/0/n11400374_4237.jpg[/img]
Pie_man

Post by Pie_man »

oh by the way what camera did you get? just interested
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Glad somebody knew about this.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Originally posted by Pie_man
oh by the way what camera did you get? just interested
He got a Krasnogorsk 3 (K3)...
I J Walton

Post by I J Walton »

Ahh, the Krasnogorsk 3 (a classic and affordable 16mm) I will be purchasing one soon from the states.

As for Telecine take a look at this product, it's quite expensive $1795 but if you count up the money you would pay over the years on getting film professionally telecine'd, then it dosen't seem so much.

It transfers your footage one frame at a time into premiere's stop motion capture facility, upto 6 frames per second, which wouldn't take long. This is a great way to preserve the motion of the film and you won't have to deinterlace the footage either!

Anyway take a look (they also have Super 8 models too) Take a good look around the site it's very interesting.

http://www.moviestuff.tv/16mm_telecine.html