Marine In MOLLE In Iraq! (Lots of More Pictures!)

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Scott_Talbot

Post by Scott_Talbot »

it is very common in the us forces for soldiers to buy their own stuff. here in san diego (a big military hot spot) theres a whole slew of stores devoted to selling the soldiers gear thats better than the cr** the government gives them, everything from weapons to cots to night vision to camelbacks. i remember when we first went to war with afgahnistan (sp?) that there some mess about how long the waiting periods were for soldiers to buy extra guns and silencers ect. and that the soldiers often got deployed before they got the weapons. I also remember reading that the u.s. issued boots fall apart really easy in the desert so u.s. forces have been using the iraqi ones. anyways. the equipment looks great. does it not cost a arm and leg for all that gear? i would just throw on some face make up and maybe roll around in the dirt a little bit and it will look awsome.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

MARPAT is evil... I always walk into the mannequins.
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

LOL, thats pretty funny.
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
essexgunner2003

Post by essexgunner2003 »

I cant see any pics?
[url=http://www.pdfilms.co.uk][color=red]P[/color][color=blue]D[/color][color=green] Films[/color][/url] - The Best Place For Online Movies.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

They're on page one of this thread, you just have to wait a little while for them to load. By the way, we're filming today!
@seanbagley
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

we must see some of the action shots please post them when you get like 5 min of it
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Here's the teaser trailer to the short film that has all of this stuff in it, "In The Clear" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1cp4-C0aI4
@seanbagley
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

It was pretty good...I just thought the music was to dramatic for a shot of just two marines. Maybe a little overplayed but it was good otherwise. I like all of your shots a lot.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Yah the trailer is a bit melodramatic! And did ya rip the music gawd i wish people would stop doing that... i mean its illegal! The 'approval' rating to at the start is of course a joke (until its really rated) I mean hell man i'd just avoid that and copyright music.

Anyway trailer is looking good, the costumes for the 'two' marines... (despite what seems an unrealistic storyline of them er rescuing their pilot) look brilliant, the terrorist however, (was he wearing a black hoodie?!?) seemed a little cheesy.

Iraqi insurgency = clad by US teens hehe

You could just imagine them attacking u straight out a gap advert hehe, anyway... I love the pickup trucks with the RPG wielding soldiers etc. I think the only thing that might seem unconvincing is the small scale of the whole thing. That and the youthfulness (potentially) of the 'soldiers' and its 'go get um' action style storyline. Anyway good luck and i reckon it will be cool movie, so far the costumes for the soldiers for sure, look amazing!
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

The storyline is actually pulled from a true story.
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

*shrugs* yeah reality is not fiction though, I mean in reality there was a pilot in ww2 who survived a 10,000 feet fall from a burning plane with no chute, (by landing on snow) but most wouldn't believe it was meant to be serious in a film. Its worth noting that what occurs in reality, is no way the same as what appears to be realistic in a fictional narrative.

Just out of curiousity what is the 'true story' of the 2 us marines fighting to save a shot down pilot?
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

doh! double post!
Last edited by Lawriejaffa on Wed May 10, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

and doh triple post... damn explorer...
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

i disagree, true storys with a bit of adaptation add so much realism,

-black hawk down

-we were soldiers
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Er... yeah well adaptation is 'changing' a story isnt it... lol, so just what are you disagreeing with CTbullet?!? Cos i didnt say 'adapted true stories are unrealistic...' nothing i said even suggested that...

I'm also not saying that 'true' stories are unrealistic...

What i said was, that story whether true or not, if they appear unlikely or fanstatical to an audience, will seem unlikely to them as a plausible story or narrative.

The two movies you cite, well, we were soldiers was by critics generally considered not to be enormously realistic, but more a romantic film reliving the glory days of ww2 movies hehe, while black hawk down, was not particularly implausible to audiences, on the contrary it was to them a very realistic film.

This is certainly the case with a 'realistic gritty war movie' in a scenario like iraq. *shrugs* theres no rules though, people make their own movies, but it was worth mentioning as many audiences may respond sceptically to this 'iraq' movies storyline (many of course may not)
Last edited by Lawriejaffa on Wed May 10, 2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

alright fair enough, may i just read it wrong first time
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

Lawriejaffa wrote:I think the only thing that might seem unconvincing is the small scale of the whole thing. That and the youthfulness (potentially) of the 'soldiers' and its 'go get um' action style storyline.
Don't mean to be arsy or any thing, but this isn't hollywood here and the scale of production is going to be small. I do agree with the music in the trailer (change it) also there is too much black screen towards the beginning. You could pick some faster paced music and speed the cuts up (sorten the black too) and it'd seem like a top notch action picture. But apart from that it's really good, the shots you've got are really good. oh yeh one final thing, Some of the shots seemed over exposed (i dunno whether you planned that or not).
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Funny thing is, you can never really do a realistic war film. There is no perfect way to capture any given engagement. Trying to express the emotion is the toughest part. Even the bloodshed in movies compared to real life fighting is Highly toned down. Black Hawk Down was an extremely gory mission. Compare the book to the movie... if they had accuractely portray the minigun, it would have looked closer to a butcher shop than a pile of dead somalis. Most of this is to acheive the "R" rating for general public. Even in Saving Private Ryan, when there are .50 caliber rounds flying, the victims don't often stay together in one piece.

War stories are designed more for an emotional, patriotic response to actual historical events. Something that most audiences are familiar with, and entertain them with an exhillaration of visual and auditory sensation! :)
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

*shrugs* i don't know, they say patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel hehe, and likewise with war films, i think (god can i spell this word,) disingenuous war films provide the exhillaration of visual and auditory WAR BANG EXPLOSIONS etc, i mean these are really just action films with settings that are 'war themed' for example, like Windwalkers. Genuine war films in my opinion are still often filled with visual and auditory phwoar, but many are comparatively not (like Jarhead) which is arguably 'thee' benchmark for iraqi american war films at the mo.

Anyone that takes say ww2 heroics, with lots of JOHNNY!!! and MEDIC!!! and puts them in an iraqi or modern setting will look a bit of a putz in my opinion, (im not saying ur intending to do this Gyro!.)

But certainly 'patriotism' is, if used at all in war movies, is at best a marketing gimic, and at worst a tool of manipulation (for romantics and dreamers... etc)
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Hahaha, I wouldn't exactly classify "Windtalkers" as a good war movie. :P But you are right, most war films are created as action buff, gung ho "kill em all!!!!" attitudes. Band of Brothers was perhaps the first series that actually got to me emotionally. Well done, perfectly developed characters. They had enough screen time they could build it up. There is a lot more than action to a good war movie.

Comparing WW2 movies to modern war movies... it Should be a lot different. That's a massive 2 generation gap. Two completely different types of fighting and should I say kids today have quite a mouth! :lol:
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Anyway sorry to take this all a bit offtopic there gyro, keep up the good work and i look forward to seeing more pics! (and Epsilon - I couldnt agree more with ya about Bob ;)