Lost Make-Up artist and filming in a week. Please help!!!

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

trunks4200

Lost Make-Up artist and filming in a week. Please help!!!

Post by trunks4200 »

First off, I'm glad I found this forum. There is some great info on here.

Well, unfortunately, our special effects make-up artist got injuried and can't help us with our shoot, which is in a week. I live in Hawaii and can't find another person who knows how to do it realisticly.

We have enough money to make the death scenes in our movie look as real as we can get them without going overboard.

I'm looking to do five death scenes (ala Tarantino. Very Bloody). We know how to do 2 of the scenes, but we are really worried about three of the scenes. I looked through the board and found some that are close but not quite exactly what we need to do. Here's what I need, maybe you all can help.

Scene 1: A guy gets a nail file thrown into his eye, then he gets a hatchet thrown into his chest.

I'm going to do quick cuts for both hits, but I don't know the best way to make this look like they are really stuck in his eye and chest.

Scene 2:
Someone needs to get hit in the face with a 2x4 while he is running and then get hit repeatidly with the 2x4.

I originally wanted him to get hit in the face with a 2x4 covered in nails and have it stick into his face, but I don't know what is the best/safest way to do that. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

If not, I was going to cover styrophome with the wood looking wall paper so it's safe to hit him with. Would this be the best method?

Scene 3: I need someone to physicall sneak up on someone and stab him with a special knife in the heart.

I want to do it in one continuous shot, but I'm not sure I can do that if I use the styrophome method. I'd have to do two shots. Any suggestions?

Ok those are the scenes and I'm worried because I don't know what to get or how to pull it off by myself, but unfortunately, there isn't anyone around in Hawaii that I know about. Plus I can't find a make-up store either.

I really appreciate your guys help.

Thanks,
Michael
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Lost Make-Up artist and filming in a week. Please help!!

Post by ctbullet »

the styrofoam method sounds good if you want to make real contact

as for the strike to the heart could you use a retractable knife?
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
trunks4200

RE: Lost Make-Up artist and filming in a week. Please help!!

Post by trunks4200 »

I don't think we could use a retractable knife, because it has to be a special custom made knife. We figured that the styrofoam method was our only answer.
FabianJansen

Re: RE: Lost Make-Up artist and filming in a week. Please he

Post by FabianJansen »

trunks4200 wrote:I don't think we could use a retractable knife, because it has to be a special custom made knife. We figured that the styrofoam method was our only answer.
Is it possible not to focus on the knife too much, then you could just make a card/wood replica and paint it in the same colors, you could easily make your own retractable knife that way.
"These are the voyages..."
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Re: RE: Lost Make-Up artist and filming in a week. Pleas

Post by DEDFX »

make a plaster cast of the small part of the chaest, fill with colored liquid latex, put in over, then put blood packets behind it and stab away
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

For the 2x4 you can go to most hardware stores (not exactly sure what its called) and get that fake wood looking wall papery stuff. You know that really thin stuff that they use for the "wooden" panels on cars and vans. You take that and get some of the stiffer styrofoam, cut it into a long rectangular plank shape. Wrap the fake wood paper around it, and that should give you a decently real looking board that you can smack someone with.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

is a plaster and latex chest really feasible?
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

ya, just dont take deep breathes
trunks4200

Post by trunks4200 »

Unfortunatly we don't have the resource for a latex chest.

We got all the other effects to work out pretty well, but the stab to the chest looked like cr** with the Styrofoam method. He is wearing a wifebeater and it puffed out way too much.

We are probably going to try for isolated shots. Any other suggestions?
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

I know this is a bit late but just get blood filled packets ( zip-lock) and have the guy with knife stab downwards and hit the bag while the actor goes in front of the guy getting stabbed . hope you understand what i mean. by the way whats it called??
www.myspace.com/kendallfx