The "Film Look"

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

The "Film Look"

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Has anyone ever sucessfully took their camcorder footage and made it look somewhat like film (preferably someone who used NTSC). I just read a tutorial where they said that if you import your regular 29.970 fps video into a video editor and then converted it into 23.976 fps (cinema film frame rate) and used a 2-3 pulldown you could make it have the "film look" Anyone who knows anything please reply.

NOTE: If I sound like I'm speaking some alien language, go [url=http://%20http://www.sonicfoundry.com/support/productinfo/24p.pdf]here[/url] , it tells you about the difference between NTSC/Pal video and film and conversions between the three
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Sayhi

Post by Sayhi »

OK that's one of the main reasons why I ahave been supporting Pinnacle Studio in this forum all this time. I'm talking about PAL but the NTSC is probably the same thing because Studio automatically chooses the right fps sequence for your footage and divides the footage into scenes. Try it! I never had this 105% speed look in my films (I experienced this problem with the Premiere and MediastudioPro trials).
I thgink the pulldown might actually work. Give it a try!
-Do you expect me to talk?
-No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Ornsack knows a bit about this kind of thing - Hopefully you'll catch him away before they take him away!
Moderating behind the bushes!
John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by John Groshko »

There are video plug-ins that can make your video look like film.

If you can't use one of the plug-ins; deinterlance your footage, and they play around with the colour, contrast/brightness, and levels; untill you achive the look you want.

Your footage won't look exactlly like film; but it won't look like reqular camcorder footage either.

Just don't be too agressive with the settings.
My films;

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=groshko
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

sayhi what version of pinnacle do you use?

Post by Carnage7p »

i have pinnacle as well but now i switched to premiere.
XeFx309

Post by XeFx309 »

If you go to www.freddyvsjason.com and watch the trailer, do you notice that the trailer looks super clear and clean. It was so amazing for me...just look at it, tell me what you think. I want my video to look that clear...
I J Walton

Post by I J Walton »

So many people go on about getting the film look with video, which is something that I have mastered (after almost a thousand tests, that isn't a joke). Here is how it is; if you are serious enough to make your short films look like films, then you may as well just shoot on film! Trust me, it's not as expensive as it sounds!

Not too long ago I got interested in super 8 filmmaking, and trust me, super 8 film has come a long way sinse the old 70's home movies. Super 8 these days (provoding you pay for a good DV transfer) can look almost like 16mm film!!! This is no joke, Super 8 still has more resolution than and DV camera out there.

Trust me give a look into it, you won't beleive how cheap it is to shoot on small gague film.

If you require any more Super 8 info just ask. :D