Need some fight techniques

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Need some fight techniques

Post by rhys »

Hey I'm making a small action movie and need to learn some new skills. Any random fight moves will be good. It can include guns, knives, swords, fists, kicks, daggers and whips.
Any replies would be great, P.S. My budget is $14.
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Need some fight techniques

Post by ctbullet »

what kind of props do you have........rubber knives, real guns etc?

i no how to dissmantel i real gun with one hand
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
XhuntedoverlordX

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

I don't know any real system off the top of my head but this seems like something that might work. Make up different movements, jabs, slashes et cetera and number each one, not too many though or it might get confusing. For each of your numbered attacks create some kind of defensive position that counters it. For example say maneuver A2 (for Attack 2) is a slash, which you counter by jumping back D2 (for Defense 2). Train your actors until they can perform all of these actions by reflex, when you yell A3 they should instinctively perform the A3 maneuver. Then when you script your fight sequences you can just list them off movement per movement, so that your script might look something like this: A3,D2,A5,D6,D1,A4 and the script of the person who he's fighting would just be the opposite. I'm not totally sure if all of that made sense, I'll try to come up with a more detailed explanation later.
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

Get you some Karate movies. I'm not talkin like those ones where people fly 20 ft in the air and stuff. Here's my list of movies to watch to get fight ideas from:

Exit Wound - Steven Seagal
Cradle 2 the grave - Jet Li
Kiss of the Dragon - Jet Li
The Transporter & Transporter 2 - Jason Statham
Unleashed - Jet Li
Lethal Weapon 4 - Jet Li, Mel Gibson, Danny Glover
Enter The Dragon - Bruce Lee
The Chinese Connection - Bruce Lee
Game of Death - Bruce Lee
Rapid Fire - Brandon Lee
The Blade Trinity - Wesley Snipes

This should help you out. Want a fight scene with samurai swords:

Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2
The Last Samurai
The Highlander

Hope this helps also.
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Focus on hand to hand stuff. Chances are you're not going to get quality props for 14 bucks.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

I have a rubber knife, a toy metal magnum revolver, 2 black sci-fi looking guns with removable magazine, a toy semi-auto super p8 looking gun, a toy metal browning pistol, a whip, a sword that i dont want in this movie because it is really small, metal handcuffs, a miniture uzi, a broom pole, and brass knuckles i made it plastics (they dont look like the real ones but they go on ur fist and if they hit u, they would cut u).
So... any ideas?
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

oh yeah, and my budget could go upto $20 if i tried.
Theshapecool
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Theshapecool »

you can get very realistic guns, just by toys and mod them.
Use sugarglass as that costs nothing to make, work on cracking wood down the middle so you can break it on people, learn how to fall, roll downstairs ect. the best fights arent the choreagraphed martial arts style, there good but they look too hokey, the best stuff is a real brawl, you cant beat that.
if you want close punches, shoot from the side and punch/hit just past the actors face,
with the sounds added and plenty of fullers earth put around, you will have a decent fight.
Sledge Films Ltd, 'Independent film making since 2003'

www.RussDiaper.com

'This House is sacred to him, he has all his memories here, HIS RAGE!'
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

if you want a fight to be extremely realistic, watch some ice hokey fights, they're full on fist fights, funny to watch aslo

Jackie chan movies are good to learn how to dissarm someone, he is good taking your $hit away,

try it out, you might even develop your own technique
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

I findit hard to believe no one has mentioned these films beacsue they are some of the best EVER.
Watch Bournde Identity and Bournde supremacy. You wont regret it and you'll get some really cool, realistic ideas for your movie
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

justin!butcher wrote:I findit hard to believe no one has mentioned these films beacsue they are some of the best EVER.
Watch Bournde Identity and Bournde supremacy. You wont regret it and you'll get some really cool, realistic ideas for your movie
I can't believe I forgot about those films. Another way to get realistic looking fight scenes is watching the Ultimate Fighting Championship or Pride Fighting Championships. You can mix some of that style of fighting with theatricla fighting and you'll get excellent results.
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Ever consider signing up for Karate lessons?
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

yeh i did think about karate lessons and i went to a class once but the whole thing was everyone doin the exact same move sequenced and i have friends that have done it and they say that u dont even learn much. i also have a friend who done it for 3 years and is still pretty much an average fighter.
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

shu-ho jujitsu is better than karate for screenfighting - has grapples, throws, pressure points and strike fighting techniques - and its reaaaaaaal fun.

depending on how acrobatic/athletic you are, you could try learning flips/aerials/540's and the like to add that cool wireless stunt fighting in your films.
(i learnt the frontflip in half an hour, a cartwheel - one armed cartwheel - aerial in just over an hour) and its not nearly as difficult or frightenin as i expected it to be.

check out some of these:

www.trickstutorials.com
www.urbanfreeflow.com (mainly about parkour, but parkour is some funky stuff to have in your movie - looks awesome)
www.teamukemi.com (these guys are the best)
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

thanks mate
i wanna try shu-ho jujitsu now!
its like 11:51 here and i cant get this site
http://www.teamukemi.com/tu_tricktutorials.html
that i think is awesome to work.
I really wanted to learn how to kip up and use a staff.
I am also kinda interested in the 540 and flips too. sounds awesome i hope i learn thanks again.
Hide or fight for your life?
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

anytime, (sorry about delayed reply :P)

for things like that, alot of them have a base in Tae Kwon Do, which gives you amazing flexibility and control in your legs (something im trying to work on at the moment. My legs must be the most unflexible in the world) you could probably start learning front flips and backflips using spotters and maps pretty much straight away though. The bails are pretty much painless - and a few less braincells wont matter ;)
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

Have a look at this http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... =wing+chun

After the first 20 seconds they do some really cool stuff. What I think is sweet is so if two guys are about to fight and they hold their hands up (boxing style) and one really quickly grabs the others hands with his hands and elbows him in the head with his right elbow. It works really well and looks cool
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Its alright, but i dont know if i exactly need to learn anything, i should just think about what id do in that situation then make sure that it would work in reality. Oh yeah, and i am going to join sei do karate sometime this year.
Hide or fight for your life?
Asbjørn

Post by Asbjørn »

Dunno if you*ve allready made the movie, but just switch on the camera and do something... - A friend and I did some random "stagefight" a summer, and we ended up thinking the same (So even though we didn't coreograph it, we ended up blocking each others moves most of the time). - try some streetfighting too
Seen trough a cats eyes, everything belongs to the cat
iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

i was at my friends house once, and we learned how you can pretty much dropkick someone in the lower hip and you can get them to fly pretty far, and it doesnt hurt at all, although i'm not sure how smart this is... but we still do it, and it looks sweet. cuz its full contact and the flying back is real cuz your actually getting hit hard. we tried some other stuff like kicks to the shoulders works really good. just make sure your very accurate with your hits, and try finding ways to make somewhat real contact without it hurting. the more real contact, the better it looks.
Pubicface

Post by Pubicface »

you could just go the Jackie Chan route and combine martial arts with random cr** you can pick up from the area. It might actually simplify your fight scenes. If you can break up the moves with something comical like right when your main character is about to be killed he just grabs a random object (such as a pogo stick) and knocks the guy over the head with it. This would help incase the moves the actors do dont look 100% realistic, the comedy might distract people from this fact.
http://www.farmaggio.com
iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

yea, but the comical route is also a lazy way out. i hate how people on here just think, well i can't make a serious film, so i'll just make it cheesy/funny. i know half the films that try to be serious end up not being serious mostly becauese of the actors, but either way, i think you should go serious route and if it doesnt look good, compare it to a movie and see what you could change, since a lot of fighting can be done w/o super hard stunts/effects. and i'd go for more of a streetfighting/wrestling style, because thats how fights are anyway, and martial arts fights, if they happen in real life, its usually just one guy throws a kick or punch and takes the other guy out instantly. i mean how often do two martial artists just happen to start fighting in real life and have an epic battle? watch ultimate fighting or look up judo on the internet. when you do the moves, you don't have to follow through, but make them look peworful, make it fast, get the camera in close, and keep it moving (smooth moves such as dollying) also if available use a higher shutter speed. the jitteryness will make it look faster and more intense.