NTSC vs PAL

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

NTSC vs PAL

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

I recently got a magazine that came with a cd filled with clips, but was a little dissapointed when they were all in PAL format. Having never used pal clips in an NTSC project, I was wondering if anyone knows how Pal lookes when converted to NTSC. Also, out of curiosity, can a pal formated DVD play on an America/Canadian TV or vice versa?
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Dunno how PAL looks on NTSC tv's but the other way round it looks ok.

You'll need a multiregional DVD player to play dvd's from other countries... I got my Jackass movie DVD from the US (don't ask) and it looks great on my PAL tv :D
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

PAL is a slightly different resolution and frame rate. PAL tends to be 25 frames/s whereas NTSC is 29 frames/s.

Frame rate conversions are tricky. If however you just use the PAL footage at 29 frames/s rather than 25 it will speed it up slightly. Depends on the footage but this may give better results than actually converting it.

Funnily enough I was wondering the opposite. If I got some NTSC footage what would it look like mixed with my PAL footage :)
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

maybe it would slow down?
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Sayhi

Post by Sayhi »

If you want to watch pal you can download DVD Genie (I think it's freeware) which makes the DVD drive of your PC Region Free. It works with Power DVD and 4 or 5 other players.
-Do you expect me to talk?
-No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!