INDIE FILM TIP: Storyboards

Tutorials and guides or links covering software discussed in these forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

sonnyboo

INDIE FILM TIP: Storyboards

Post by sonnyboo »

INDIE FILM TIP: STORYBOARDS

CLICK HERE to see video

3 min - Windows Media

another indie film tip video that talks about the importance of previsualization & storyboarding.

Storyboards by Mike Bruinsma

courtesy of
Horrors of War
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: INDIE FILM TIP: Storyboards

Post by ctbullet »

i learn more and more for you guys each time i watch your vids

on my current production i did draw storyboards but got incredibly impatient at how long it took and gave up, i know what i'm doing anyway
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

I'm realy sorry because i probably sound like an idiot, but what is an indie film?
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

inide- independant

just his little 'company' name

i hope
Last edited by ctbullet on Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

lol it seems so obvious now
LiegeCentrino

Post by LiegeCentrino »

Indie means independent. As in not within the studio system.
Ooh, french maid. Didn't expect me home from the whipped cream store so soon did you? And who's your lady friend? - Master Shake, ATHF
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I use rough thumbnail storyboards beacuase I think its a waste of time to make it very detailed unless you have a good artist for thr job.
sonnyboo

Re: RE: INDIE FILM TIP: Storyboards

Post by sonnyboo »

DEDFX wrote:I use rough thumbnail storyboards beacuase I think its a waste of time to make it very detailed unless you have a good artist for thr job.
as the video says, it's not how good they look, it's only what you need to convey the shot to a crew. Even the over head maps are good enough for most things.
Bodysnatcher
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: RE: INDIE FILM TIP: Storyboards

Post by Bodysnatcher »

excellent tutorials, my storybaoards always read like a damn comic book with out words, as I always feel that if for somereason I need to reshoot a scene, with the information and effort I put into it before hand means in effect anyone can do it and it will fit right in. I will ocasionally storyboard the whole thing as seeing it visualy has meant a few changes in the past when it comes to editing to keep the flow of the story, either by adding a few scenes or even taking some out to help to convey the story. complex scenes with mulit camera angles or many cut etc always have detailed storyboards, jsut like my scripts everything is there, then I can pick and choose, storyboards. and editors best friend!
http://www.freewebs.com/bodysnatcher-productions
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Since we just do everything ourselves, storyboarding is pretty much pointless. Lighting, shooting, and directing everything yourself saves a lot of time, both in pre-production and production and production.

Plus it's just more fun that way.
naflish

Post by naflish »

SgtPadrino, thats very stupid to say. even if u do everything yourself even acting, u still need storyboard to
make sure that u got enough shots to be edit later on. Its sort of pre-visualisation of what u want
and a reminder so that u dont forget them.. its no fun to go out blind shooting and in the end scratching your head
during editing, realising u forgot those important shots u should have.
}}}{{{{
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

I have never had that problem, and I doubt that will in the near future. I know exactly what I want going in, I know how I'm going to edit it, and I know what I want the feel of the scene to be. If I have a specific sequence of shots in mind, I write them down. Drawing them is pointless, since I usually end up spending weeks in advance visualizing and planning major scenes. I don't have anyone to communicate my vision to, and since I don't see that changing anytime soon, what's the point?

In all honesty it would drive me goddamn crazy if I had anyone but me or my cousin operating the camera and setting up/lighting shots.
naflish

Post by naflish »

up to u... sorry if im disrespecting..
no hard feelings bro
}}}{{{{
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

It's ok - I get touchy late at night ;)
sonnyboo

Post by sonnyboo »

SgtPadrino wrote:I know what I want the feel of the scene to be.

Similar to the first thing I say in this video, as you add more people to your shoot, the more important storyboards, or ANY previsualization becomes.

For your no-budget shoots, storyboards are good practice if (key word here"if") you intend to become a professional and work with larger crews and make bigger movies, the more ready you will be.

This is NOT a requirement, but a suggestion. Work however you want to work. I'm giving ideas here, not gospel. For myself, and I can ONLY speak for myself, I always used DV shorts and amature projects as practice for the later shoots that would be more professional and prepare me for working with a crew and larger sets and bigger casts. That may not be for everyone.

Peace brothers.