I Want Money (film download)

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

I Want Money (film download)

Post by Kentertainment »

I have been working on a this short film since September and finally finished it and finally it is here, ready for you to download. The film is completly original in all it's work and I have just barely submitted it into a film festival. Please, I would really appreciate comments on this film I don't care if you hated it just leave me comments!

http://kentertainmentpicts.tripod.com/iwantmoney.html

This link is the main, "I Want Money" page and has 2 download-able Windows Media Player links for the movie. The film is 17 minutes long. Enjoy!
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

Not bad, I liked the begining part when he was trying to get money, kind of reminded me of all the things we tried when we were kids to get money. Story was overall ok, I thought the whole card thing ended less then spectaculary. It just seemed like they were trying to screw him and then in the end help him because he says he likes them??...
Overall I would say it lands in the middle for me.
Here are some things I picked up on in the movie, that maybe you can correct before the deadline.
At about 1 min in during the dialog there is a very explosive "P" in the mic, also then around that same time the music is to loud to hear what he says, or visa versa.
In the night scene when he leaves the house the lip syncing is off for about 3/4 of the coversation outside at around 9:40. And that same thing appears to happen in the begining of the last card battle.
And all threw the movie lots and lots of mic thumping, wind noise, and wierd camera movements at random times.

Thats about it, I hope you don't hate me. :?
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

It was actually pretty funny. One of the problems I had with it was the music - with the song towards the end, the tempo the saxophone was playing at didn't match up with the beat at all. Didn't play with much soul either - just sounded like a kid from a high school marching band (probably was too :P )

I liked the editing and camerawork, and the acting was corny, but that just made it funnier.

And Gyro was hilarious too :)

Great job.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

ipon70 - Regretably the film has already been sent off to the festival, the deadline is less than a week and I needed to get it sent right away. The audio must only be off on the versions I rendered for download because on the final full quality version that I sent in it is not (I didn't even watch these 25mb and 50mb files because I got so tired of watching this movie). The mic thumping is the wire hitting the tripod we have the boom connected to, I have found a way to reduce this and will do it next time and I have told myself countless times to invest in a fluid head tripod because of the random movements. I don't hate you, haha. Thanks for the comments, I'll take them into consideration.

SgtPadrino -Yes, I myself find the music the weakest part (I don't hate). Haha I laughed at what you said about the high school kid because it was in fact me that played the saxaphone...I think I did a pretty stellar job for not playing if for 2 years and then just picking it up to play again. Anywho, that last song we recorded the saxaphone first and then the drums, I don't know much about drums so I just trusted the kid who played them. Thanks for the comments as well.

This is the first time I've ever done my own music for a film and we didn't use loops, honestly did it go well or was it all just cr**?
Trochaic

Post by Trochaic »

I think you did a really great job with this, your strength is defintely in your directing and writing. The timing on most of the jokes was very well thought out, and therefore made this a very funny film. The cinematography was also very good, with the exception of a few scenes that were a little too dark (when he is getting ready to drive home, for example.) There were a few technical problems as mentioned before, especially with the mic. I would recommend you invest in a good wind screen. And the music, also as mentioned before, would have been acceptable if it were only done by the guitars and drums (no offense man, but the saxophone just sounded painfully out of place). Very well done. I can see your films improving greatly when these technical flaws are worked out in later projects. Keep up the good work.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Yeah there were a few scenes I probably shouldn't have done any saxaphone for but there was the montage scene where I have to admit, without it, it would have been the guitar and drums repeating the same thing for a minute and a half. The concept of a guitar and percussion just seemed a little too simple for me. I respect your opinion and I was actually thinking of the guitar/percussion only for my next project.

Also, thanks on the comment about directing and writing...I love to write...and direct so it's perfect, haha.

The darkness was to the fact that the contrast was increased a bit, that scene we actually did light up, if we'd used natural lighting it would have been pitch black. The only scenes we didn't light were the outside sequences at the Cocoa stand, Tarot Card Reading, and Kissing Booth.

Thanks for the commments so far, I appreciate that I'm getting more than just a, "Good Job" or a, "You suck!"
ProdigyFilmsinc.

Post by ProdigyFilmsinc. »

Hmmmm, the music had its good parts and bad. The scene where Tommy throws the rock at the boy, that music seemed a little to jumbled. I could hear drums and a little guitar. The Sax was good but over used. Thats all I saw, well heard. Great job overall.
Who ever said digital is better than film should hang for treason.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Overused? That's funny seeing as you did the percussion and I said many times how everyone thought it sounded. Anywho, does anybody else have anything to say?
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

It was great! I laughed... alot. I just thought the blast was overused (I kept thinking Family Guy ;) ).

The music matched great for the scenes, the lighting was great, and the dolly shots were a major plus.

I can't really think of any bad things at the moment. So it must be a good movie. :)
Trochaic

Post by Trochaic »

I thought the blast line was charming. It gave the character more appeal in my opinion.
EstonianMovemaker

Post by EstonianMovemaker »

the part where the mean actor yelled: I WANT MONAY; I WANT MONay and banged the door was the best.(lots of laugh there)
Overall i liked the movie,but in the end i could undestand that you rushed to make the movie...
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

It wasn't really that rushed, the only thing that was rushed for the most part was the music. We filmed this in October and part of November and the film deadline submission was today, that gave us about 3 and a half months for music making but a lot of things happened that brought it down to the wire, for instance our guitarist tripped with his amp and dislocated his knee (he's okay now).

There were 3, "Blasts" but they weren't really evenly spaced so I can see where you're going at Barnes. When showing this film to my parents my mom turned to me and said, "I can easily tell you wrote this." with the, "Blasts" and, "Anywhos".

I also got really lucky, my camcorder just decided to die (it's been dropped {not by me} a few times) so I'm going to be purchasing a Panasonic PV-GS500 maybe by the beginning of this summer...does anybody know if this is a good camcorder?

I'd like to still keep things on topic so more comments would be appreciated and a thanks to all those who have watched it.
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

Hey Kentertainment. We are getting ready to purchase some new gear and I have a PVDV953 camera that I will be selling if you are interested in that one. I can ping you when we get the new gear or you can check our forums in the selling section, either or.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
Holdios

Post by Holdios »

I liked it. Really good editing and acting.

What kind of camera do you use? The quality is supreme.

Also, how did you get the night scenes lit like that without it being obvious that you're using lights? Basically, how did you make everything so visible yet still look like nighttime?
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

I used a Panasonic PV-GS50, it's an average 1ccd consumer camcorder, the quality was mostly from post-production editing. I lowered the brightness very slightly and increased the contrast slightly as well, added a little bit of film grain, and during outside shots I gave it a little glow. You can really achieve a good look with film by taking some time color correcting. The night sequence was (I kind of say this regrettably) achieved with a simple flood light (which isn't always the greatest thing to light a movie with). I simply placed the light near where my garage light was and moved it around until I could see what was going on but still tell it was dark, you just need to experiment a little. Afterwards in post I added a red tint. I hope that helps.

ipon - I just barely got a job and won't have money much money for a while. The PV-GS500 sells for $1,000. My dad likes using cameras and such to so he has informed me if I get $500 he'll pay the rest so I think I'm just going to stick with that plan. Thanks anyway.
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

Haha. Had its minor flaws here and there, but i really enjoyed it. To me it had that "Napolean Dynamite" feel. All the characters are total weirdos and people you probably wouldnt talk to on a regular basis. But, you end up liking their quirky weird-as-hell-ness.

The beginning was my favorite part. The edits were very smooth there. I like the blur in between scenes, ive wanted to fiddle around with that myself. The only acting issue was that at some times it felt like some of the characters were reading cue cards off camera, hell, maybe you were (i do that). But still, just try to make it as natural as possible. And i loved the reaction shots of that little kid who was getting the card reading. That was hilarious. Good work.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Thanks Mr. Anderson, it's good to know that I can develop likeable characters in under 20 minutes. You are right, some of it was read off, notably the main nerd, "Henry". The actor just can't pronounce the lines I wrote for him, he said, "Keen obsersation" about 4 times before he finally said observation right, even then he struggled! Haha.

I'm glad it's been an overal "liked" movie. I still haven't had any status report on how it's doing in the film festival I sent it to, they're supposed to call me sometime between now and April 15th. Anywho, for all who enjoyed it I will shortly (Late April) have a new film I'm doing for a class of mine that is an Action/Comedy.
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

I love my acting in this movie its so good.
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
richardcrycheck

Post by richardcrycheck »

actually i thought the acting was shabby at best :D my company naborski pictures are new on the block and in my opinion is far superior than all of your members 'talent' all put to together :D i suppose nobodys perfect except me HA HA HA PS im looking forward to working with you people :mosh:
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Maybe for somebody more "proffesional" you should get some better grammar skill Mr. Ego McGee. Also, thanks for giving me some advice on how to help me in the future, oh wait, you didn't!

Anywho, any more thoughts anyone?
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

I loved how you mixed in the "Sweet, Alright."
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
mickcar73
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mickcar73 »

good job on da film kenertainment.
my company naborski pictures are new on the block and in my opinion is far superior than all of your members 'talent' all put to together i suppose nobodys perfect except me
well if you are so great richardcrychek, then lets see what 'spectacular'films youve made
richardcrycheck

Post by richardcrycheck »

My movies are ten billion times better than yours or kenny here , you cant even call this piece of garbage a movie besides looking down this forum i dont see any movies youve made huh? mickcar73 ps i want money cr** acting, bad camera and slow production. :no:
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Who the heck are you?!
@seanbagley
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

Can I see one of your GAY MOVIEs!!!! I BET YOU ARE LIKE 12 AND MAKE REALLY DUMB MOVIES!
Matt Haight
Writer
Director