horror films

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

XeFx309

Post by XeFx309 »

Originally posted by foxwood
Watch Hitchcock and M. Night Sha...crazy indean name, he did the sixth sence and signs.
Was that in response to my post?
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Originally posted by foxwood
M. Night Sha...crazy indean name
M. Night Shyamalan

Yeah, he's a genius...
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Yes it was, thank you for his name, I didn't want to butcher it with my poor spelling, yes he is a genius, and knows how to make a goreless horror film that is scaryer then anything out there. Hell signs even had me on the edge of my seat, and I am never scred or even freeked out in movies.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Same here. when I saw it in theaters, I went insane when the creature was on top of the roof. My eyes popped out, and I looked around to see if anyone else noticed. Luckily my friend noticed as well. Then his whole plan for the movie worked insanely well! That movie is amazing, along with Signs and Unbreakable...
XeFx309

Post by XeFx309 »

I thought it was a joke when on the home video the alien walked by (looked like someone in a costume, probly was)

Looked like something out of Mad TV. :P
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

No, it wasn't someone in a costume. I forget exactly how they did it, but if you watch the special features on the Signs DVD, they mention a little on how they did it...
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I though the aleans were just CG.
John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by John Groshko »

Signs wasn't scary.

It was a physcological thriller (and a lame one at that) about some people being trapped in their house for fear of the unknow.

Didn't anybody notice the HUGE! logic holes in the movie?

The fight scene at the end of the film between Phoneix and the Alien was totally ridiculas. Was it trying to be an action movie?

Anyways; It didn't scare me.

But I can see that others sure feel different.
My films;

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=groshko
TommyPollock

Post by TommyPollock »

I think it lost alot of credibility the moment you saw the home video, and actually got to see the alien.

Nothing is as scary as your imagination, that is why the best films are about the unknown. Knowledge is reassuring.

Anyone seen Jeepers Creepers 1? The first half was pretty tense, and was quite spooky. The second the guy under the hat was revealed as a cross between a bat and some sort of Mr Man, that's it, they blew it. It's too bad you always have to see the predator.

Speeking of Predator, that was better untill you saw the chameleon type monster aswell.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Signs wasn't scary, but it keeps you on the edge of you seat, and I think when you see the aliean it dosn't destroy the impact, because it is at a point in the movie, where you know have to bleive that they are really coming to get us. And yes the endding was really stupid, needed another re-write.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Again I agree with foxwood for the most part. It wasn't scary as much as it was tense...
Originally posted by TommyPollock
Anyone seen Jeepers Creepers 1? The first half was pretty tense, and was quite spooky. The second the guy under the hat was revealed as a cross between a bat and some sort of Mr Man, that's it, they blew it. It's too bad you always have to see the predator.
Gah, I saw that movie. The character himself (before revealed as the creature thing) was actually sort of... freaky, I guess you could say. I mean, he was a psycho driving really fast and cr**. Then the music that went along with it got you going. In the cave with the bodies looked ridiculously pointless and fake. So basically the first part of the movie was alright, but then it sucked real bad.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Are we talking about the same movie? I never saw the Predator 'driving really fast and cr**', and I don't remember there being a cave full of bodies, just skinless bodies hanging from trees. And even after you saw the Predator, I still thought that it was a really great movie. Predator 2 was okay, but you already knew everything that was coming, so it wasn't as scary as it couldv'e been.

Anyway, I think that "The Mothman Prophecies" is the best example of a scary-as-all-hell-p***-in-your-pants movie. That's because it's all about the unknown, and what is even better about the movie is that even after you know what the hell is going on, you're still just as scared, if not more scared, than before you knew what was going on. When Richard Gere turned over in bed and his dead wife was laying right next to him - I jumped straight out of the chair. And when you hear the Mothman speak, it just sends chills up your spine. If you're looking for a scary movie, get "The Mothman Prophecies" and turn all of the lights off. Believe me, you won't be dissapointed.
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

the best way to make a film scary is make it so that something could happen at any moment, even if you know there isnt a chance someone is going to pop out with a knife and maul the person to death, the viewer doesnt know that and they feel like they need to prepare themselves for something that is going to pop out. To make all that really short. You need suspense. nothing beats it.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

SgtPadrino, I was referring to "Jeepers Creepers", not "Predator"... So that would explain your confusion...
TommyPollock

Post by TommyPollock »

Yeah, I was about to clear that one up too.
XeFx309

Post by XeFx309 »

Yeah, The Mothman Prophecies was a very scary movie, and I liked it! ;)
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Honistly the only movie that scared me was Event Horizon, I'm not sure why it just scared me.