Broil Trailer!!!

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CaptainAmerica

Broil Trailer!!!

Post by CaptainAmerica »

Matt Haight
Writer
Director
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

alright, i watched it and here are my thoughts,
i think the trailer should start off with a tellephone ring and no music, the music should then slowly fade in as they are talking.
after he says "has he hurt you?" you should cut to him slamming the guy against the fence and punching him.
there are some lighting problems in that scene and sound problems but other than that i think the film looks pretty radical :D ....
buck_suck

Post by buck_suck »

I know this is kinda retarded but why does everyone put their files on RapidShare? I have no idea how to open it. It brings me to this page asking me if I want to buy premium downloads or something and theres not a single link to the file. Alright this is really off topic but could someone please enlighten me? I'd appreciate it.
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

you click on free, and then on the next page it says you have to wait a certain amount of time til your download is ready, then you click away :D ...
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

And my opener is on this trailer, why? How am I presenting it, you're doing all the freakin' work! I've just pushed the record button on your camcorder once.
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

if that film became a sucess you will be glad your logo is on it :D ....
SpyroClone

Post by SpyroClone »

well, I agree with Vor, the trailer should start out with a phone ring. And so far as the scene where the guy is getting beat up. I am all for the slightly shaky camera during fight scenes, but the camera was not shaking, it was flying around. People get motionsick during that kind of thing, try and keep the movement to a minimum. And you really should get permission from someone before using their openers
"If you don't know what you're doing you can still make it look good."
~Peter Jackson
buck_suck

Post by buck_suck »

you click on free, and then on the next page it says you have to wait a certain amount of time til your download is ready, then you click away ...
Thanks Vor. I do appreciate it. Its working now. Will let you know what I think after i watch, CaptainAmerica.
[url=http://www.video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3477108537208786893][img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/334268_b06a4b1a6b.jpg[/img][/url]
ChemicalShamanII

Post by ChemicalShamanII »

It looks pretty good so far, but I guess the thing that stands out the most for me is the geeky main character. He doesn't really pass off well for a 'rumbler', he's one of the least intimidating figures you could put in a role like this. If I saw that guy coming at me with his fists out i think i'd probably laugh hysterically.

He was convincing in his role as office geek in that dissolution movie where he pays some guy to kill Gyro, now that was a role that he was well suited to.

As far as a tough guy role? Im just not that convinced.

Everything else looks pretty cool.

-CS
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

What a burn!
@seanbagley
buck_suck

Post by buck_suck »

Darn I still cant download it even though I've been trying the entire afternoon. Dont mean to trouble you or anything but mMind putting it on www.youtube.com ? If you dont want to I'll understand though haha.
[url=http://www.video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3477108537208786893][img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/334268_b06a4b1a6b.jpg[/img][/url]
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

SpyroClone wrote: And you really should get permission from someone before using their openers
I just didn't take it, I asked for it and asked if he wanted to produce it.

Yeah for me and being nerdy, I'm not that nerdy just wait till the rest of the movie comes out before you start judging the actors. The opening phone part was a good idea to start with a phone ring my bad, but oh well I like it. So i'm all gald you like what you see so far. More will becomin
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
joe

Post by joe »

just wait till the rest of the movie comes out before you start judging the actors.
Well, with putting a trailer up for people to see, you are asking them to judge anything within.. You're the one that decides how your movie is to be presented in the trailer. If you wanted the guy to look more menacing, and he did in later scenes, maybe you should include those instead.

I haven't seen it yet, but will leave comments when I get around to it.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

CaptainAmerica wrote:
SpyroClone wrote: And you really should get permission from someone before using their openers
I just didn't take it, I asked for it and asked if he wanted to produce it.
Actually you asked for it and I said "Okay, what for?" and you replied "I don't want to put the Escape Films opener on mine." but never anything about producing, you're the one doing that. I'm just making a point but that's not important.

As for the trailer. You're music is way too loud in the second part, I can't understand what is being spoken unless I watch it twenty times. The title of this topic is "Broil Trailer" but this is more of a teaser.
ChemicalShamanII wrote:He was convincing in his role as office geek in that dissolution movie where he pays some guy to kill Gyro, now that was a role that he was well suited to.
Yay my movie was mentioned. I don't know why that's so cool.
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

Fine Kenny I'll just take your name off of everything.
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Hey hey come on ladies lets keep it civil!

I think Gyro looks okay in the role, i think its not his fault, its the damn set up, under-exposed, (noise) in both visuals and audio *choke choke* its basically filmed and looks crude due to these errors.

F-stop your talking 2.4 or more there baby (which er in F-stops means less) god knows what thats at.

The audio with that hissssss sounds like a trapped kitten caught under a car tire, best thing to do their ol' chap is to use the noise gate in soundforge, or simply the noise filtering software (as standards) included with progs like premiere.

Heres yer fast golden rule, the mic (stick it to a mini-disk or ur camera) but make it seperate, nice XLR cable or (other jack ok) and get the mic arms length from the speaker.... allllways arms length hehe.

The 'idea' has some potential, but the execution looks pained and basically unattractive, the performances are the least of the trailers probs imo. (cos there not bad etc)
niebs233

Post by niebs233 »

i dont know what to think..but the first 10 seconds of the trailer made me sick and I don't know how you can attract an audience with a trailer like that.
Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

Okay, this thing, is a piece of s***. You just took songs for the most popular films you could think of that had artistic integrity. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for Instance. The music didn't match. The acting sucks. Every single person that was in that trailer sucked so bad. I'm sorry, you may be young, but you should be learning. And I wouldn't post some cr** like that up for the world to see. The sound is horrible. I have no idea what your editing with, but it looks shitty or that may bejust your skills at this point. You have a lot of work to do. A lot. Your shots are atrocious. And this idea has very little potential. The whole thing is a waste.
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
SpyroClone

Post by SpyroClone »

Meade87 wrote:Okay, this thing, is a piece of s***. You just took songs for the most popular films you could think of that had artistic integrity. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for Instance. The music didn't match. The acting sucks. Every single person that was in that trailer sucked so bad. I'm sorry, you may be young, but you should be learning. And I wouldn't post some cr** like that up for the world to see. The sound is horrible. I have no idea what your editing with, but it looks shitty or that may bejust your skills at this point. You have a lot of work to do. A lot. Your shots are atrocious. And this idea has very little potential. The whole thing is a waste.
I can see where you are coming from, but you said nothing in that post that had anything to do with advice on how someone should change something. If you're just going to say that their stuff is sh*t and then not tell them how to fix it, then please don't waste good forum space with your b*tching.
~Peter Jackson
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

Ok if you think you're so good show me what you can do Meade87. I bet every movie you have made sucks really bad. I bet your acting sucks, you just can't come on and tell me that my teaser sucks. I'm going to make this movie and it will kick a**. So how do you like that, and don't tell me that the actors suck because they don't I may suck at acting alittle, but my friend megan is a really good actress. I bet she is better than you.
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

you see! My thread in the members forum is like a gentlemans lobby, cos im so posh in talking about high art lol (or attempt to be) and the responses are all polite too haha (okay ive plugged my thread enuf)

But my point is sheesh, talk about forum wars 2000 in this one!

Yep, definatley there is no point ripping it to pieces offensively, even if it suchs completely, you have to be constructive, and to bear in mind the subjective nature of your opinion also. (i.e. that it is yours.)

Here is a problem worth considering however captain america, and its a bit ambiguis so bear with me (when i say this.)

You see, even if you shoot under-exposed, even if your actors speak backwards, even if it was 'terrible' or 'great' it all depends on not even your target audience, but what it is your trying to create in a much wider context.

Let me give you an example, there is a famous film called er... 'Blue' and all it is, is a blue frame, with 1 kinda faded light, and poetry (its considered a masterpiece in film circles.) Within its own 'sphere' it was a huge success.

If as an amatuer or whatever kinda film-maker, if you produce something that is so 'based' on a form of 'popular entertainment' (basically if ur film was music it would be pop music) then well, you are competing against popular entertainment that is funded by heartless corporate giants who easily afford perfect production values.

In other words, its only easy to see the flaw in your film, because it looks by its trailer to be an attempt at *yawn* popular entertainment.

Why not try some crazy ideas, that you can 'manage' visually, but utilsie creative originality.

Who knows huh, but good luck anyway
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

It just makes me mad because he thinks I put the music for a artisy look. I just wanted the teaser to look like a chick flick then have it change at the end. That music was the only girly music I had at the time, and it made me mad that he sits there bashing my editing when I'm a good editor. oh well who care.
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
SpyroClone

Post by SpyroClone »

I know that this thread has been argued to death now but i would like to say something along the same lines as Lawriejaffa. This movie is for you, anyone else who watches it can have their own opinions, but in the end the movie is really for your own benefit and the most important thing is that you had fun making it, and that you enjoy it.
~Peter Jackson
joe

Post by joe »

It just makes me mad because he thinks I put the music for a artisy look. I just wanted the teaser to look like a chick flick then have it change at the end. That music was the only girly music I had at the time, and it made me mad that he sits there bashing my editing when I'm a good editor. oh well who care.
Dude, you have to learn to take some criticisms with a grain of salt. Even if they are not constructive, you need to be able to brush off the fluff talk and glean the criticism that will help you be better. Maybe Meade87 didn't have any ways to help you be better, but he honestly felt that these things were true. Then, at least he came out and said it and didn't pussyfoot around. He named general areas that needed to be worked on such as shot composition, acting, original music selection, etc. So, just take it or leave it and don't sound like a baby whining that you are an awesome filmmaker and your friends are awesome actors. Cockiness won't get you anywhere. And who knows, maybe Meade is the next Spielberg, so I wouldn't automatically bash his work without seeing it. Pretty much I'm just saying chill out and make your movie man.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

joe wrote: maybe Meade is the next Spielberg
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! HAHAHA!!! HAHA!!! HA! Ha... ha.... failure.
@seanbagley