cg effects help

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

the_satanic_COokie

cg effects help

Post by the_satanic_COokie »

hey guys, it recently occured to me that I could add CG blood into my shots, and in certain instances it would actually work pretty well...such as far away shots and so forth..

anyway...

I d/led RealFlow3 which I have no idea if its good or not...and I'm looking at this ...and only then did I realize that this wasn't going to be very easy at all...I've never really gotten into anythign like this ....

I was just wondering if anyone knows of some good tutorials that might be able ot help me, or maybe just some general information becuase right now I ahve no f*** clue what I'm even looking at.

thanks
Hinchu

Post by Hinchu »

CG has a steep learning curve and takes a lot of work and knowledge to start to get it to look realistic. If you want to get into it, just start googling up a bunch of tutorials and follow them. Eventually you get a feeling for the workflow of the program, and then you can look up specific things to work on, and what tools you need to use to accomplish a task. Just start reading up on it. You can't really be taught it through a forum.
Hinchu

Post by Hinchu »

Of course if you have a specific task you want to accomplish you might just be able to follow a tutorial somewhere if they have it specifically what you are looking for. I prefer just learning the fundamentals and going from there.
the_satanic_COokie

well heres the deal...

I've been f*** around with this for a few days and I really think I'm getting the hang of the "setting parameteres for the desired effect" part of it...

the b**ch of it is that I have no idea how I'm supposed to render this out to look like more than just "particles".

I'm kinda lost right now. I have lightwave 8....god knows why...and I d/led the plugins that are supposed to let me import files from realflow3 into lightwave, but I guess I'm a moron because I can't figure out how to do it....

please to god just like...help me out a little ??? pPLEEEAse I'll suck your cyber peni5 I swear to god!!!!
Hinchu

Post by Hinchu »

You've gotta activate hypervoxels. Look up some stuff online about them.
the_satanic_COokie

this still doesnt help me understand how to import the mesh from realflow3 to lightwave....
the_satanic_COokie

god f*** damnit

if its not one thing its another, I finally figured out how to import meshes and blah blah blah

but when i go to use the plugin thats supposed to i dunno, link the meshes together in sequence I guess... it says "such and such plugin failed to load" WHAT THE f***!!!!

GAHHHHHH why can't anything work....

anyway any tips on getting plugins to work?
the_satanic_COokie

goddamnit I figured it out!!! thanks for the help otherwise...f*** plugin said it was for version 8, but the 7.5 plugin actually is the 8 plugin..if that makes sense....

nevermind...

anyway thanks for the help
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

hey you DO know that i am a realflow master right? right?
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

Apparently not...
SpyroClone

Post by SpyroClone »

I'm lazy so I haven't read everyone's posts yet, but in my opinion never use digital blood unless ABSOLUTELY necessary, a home made fake blood will look much much more real than anything you are capable of doing on your computer.
"If you don't know what you're doing you can still make it look good."
~Peter Jackson
the_satanic_COokie

actualy spyro thats not true at all.

good try though, thanks for playing

and I actually no idea you were the realflow master....how does someone become an apprentice?
SpyroClone

Post by SpyroClone »

well, to each his own, but i prefer anything that's real over CG...That's my two cents
~Peter Jackson
the_satanic_COokie

oh i understand completely, but sometimes its just not practical to rig a squib up for a character running through an open field.

and it's that kind of thing that you can actually make look better with CG

would i use Cg blood in a close up, wehre it splatters on a wall, or interacts some way with people, probably not that would look f*** cheesy unless you're just f*** good

but i think it can be used very effectively and with photorealistic results

my two cents
FabianJansen

Post by FabianJansen »

... the amount of "bleeps" that guy gets is disturbing >_>;
"These are the voyages..."
the_satanic_COokie

*Washes his mouth out with soap*

sorry :(
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

the_satanic_COokie wrote:actualy spyro thats not true at all.

good try though, thanks for playing
actually the_satanic_COokie, it's very true. I mean honestly...think about it...It would take some very very very nice work to look better than using fake blood as spyro suggestted. And you stating that its not practical to rig up a squib, well, it would take just as much time utilizing the squib as it would creating the CG blood. You can do what you want, but it won't look as convincing...It's your balls...

My two dollars...
the_satanic_COokie

it might be true on a case by case basis

because you suck at it, means it is true for you

I'm not claiming to be good at it, but It CAN be utilized to produce much more adequate results under certain circumstances.

so to say "stay clear of it at all costs" is utter bullshit.

So get off it. Especially if you've never used it before, or "you" yourself can't manage to pull it off.
SpyroClone

Post by SpyroClone »

the_satanic_COokie wrote: "stay clear of it at all costs" is utter bullshit.
I said that I prefer to not use it.
~Peter Jackson
the_satanic_COokie

I understand but I just dislike the claims that "it looks better this way, or that way"

I mean it's the people that do that, that b**ch about turning their Digital video into somethign with a "film" look...

just f*** It!! So what if it's digital? It works GREAT! USE it as a tool to tell better stories!!

I love tradition but tradition has little to no place in Indy Film making, that's why its so f*** groundbreaking!!

not trying to pick a fight, or argue It's just one of those things that tapdances on my nerves

sorry for any harsh feelings
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

Prophetic words...and cookie, in response to the "you suck at it"....All I have to say is...Grow up...and lose the language...It's because of that stupid cr** that this forum is failing. This is a forum of etiquette, or was the last time I checked...So please, just change the motive...

And I do agree that it can be used and look convincing, as I've seen it before, but for someone of your stature, I highly doubt the realism you could create...Prove me wrong and you'll win my respect...
the_satanic_COokie

first off

how is this forum failing? I really don't understand that statement...

furthermore it's a relatively free speech environment, and they have their censors in place so I don't understand what problem my choice of words causes. I'm 20 goddamned years old, and I'm not the only person to use the 'f-word'.

Beyond that, what is "a person of you're stature" supposed to mean? I just said that I'm not trying to start a fight, or argue...are you provoking me? I mean sure it p*** me off, but I'm not going to jump out of my chair and go "oh YEAHH??? WHY I OUGHTA!!"

and start cyberbeating you.

If you doubt me that is your business, i'm not goign to get into a p*** contest where I have to prove my l33t CG FX skillz. Maybe soon enough I'll have a film to show off, but right now my time is divided between working, college classes, and running my (very small) website company (www.strangetentacle.com !! )

so until that day, marvel at my free advertising techniques and have a fantastic day
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

It was nice meeting you as well.