Incentive?

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Incentive?

Post by rep22 »

I always tend to have a tough time finding a subject to use as a basis for a movie...Regardless, it's one of the most difficult parts for me. I'm just curious where some of you get your ideas? What do you use as incentive for your plots?

I usually try and aim for short films, but I find myself wanting to make a feature length movie, which I'm by no means capable of. In addition, I have a horrible imagination, thusly ruining my chances of coming up with something on the fly...

Any ideas would be appreciated!!
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Incentive?

Post by SgtPadrino »

Well, I dunno what to say since just about every single one of the ideas I have are pretty much on the fly. I'll just be watching TV or reading or listening to music when a plot idea suddenly comes into my head, like hear a topic in the news or something and I'll think, "that's a pretty good idea for a movie." For example: I was watching Trainspotting, the scene where they're at the park shooting the BB gun at people, when I start thinking, "Wouldn't that be creepy/disturbing if there was an actual sniper at a kid's playground? But what if he didn't kill anybody? What if he only did it to feel like he was God, or to recapture the adrenaline rush of being a sniper locked on to a target? But then he realizes he basically is playing God, whether he's going to kill them or not, and he starts to do it to feel empowered. But what if he starts caring for them, like God cares for his flock? So what if one of them got kidnapped, wouldn't he try and track down the kidnappers?" Then I'll write it down on paper and expand on it a little to create the story arc, then I start writing off of that - if I do write a script around it I usually finish in one sitting. I dunno, sometimes I get writer's block, but most of the time if I just let it flow I'll never run out of things to write.

I actually do want to do this project someday, but it'll require more budget/experience/planning than usual so I want to get more practice before then.
joe

Post by joe »

Basically, I build a plot out of a single idea. Usually, one small part of a scene comes to mind, or an effect I want to do, or a situation, and from there layers are added. Its kind of like an onion with the first thought at the core and many layers added around it to make it a whole. And by the way, Trainspotting rules.
ct_bullet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ct_bullet »

i don't understand how you have problems, it just comes natural to me, you no theings that you have't seen previously in films, you'd put in your script, most of the time i'd do a film to because i think it will be fun to do and look cool, at the moment i am doing a ww2 flick, and i have thoroughly enjoyed collecting loads of old gear and rifles etc.

just do it for fun i say, do what comes natural
movie fanatic

http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com/
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

Yes, I understand what you guys are saying. And there are times where I'll be watching something, and get an idea, but as soon as I get excited about it, I lose interest, thinking it wouldn't come out good. Seeing as I'm the only one in about a 50 mile radius that actually has an interest in making movies(that I know of) it's hard for me to build on ideas, when I have no one to help act, film, and whatnot.

I've done some spoofs before of different situations I've been in, but nothing real exciting ever comes to mind. Like I said, I have a terrible imagination, so for me to build on an idea, is kinda difficult. I just wish I had that ability to see something's potential, before I just turn away. Hmm...Perhaps I'll relax and watch some movies this weekend... :)
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Well, if you ever get an idea a good way to build on it is to take 3x5 cards and write down a scene and a description of it. Lay down the peices on the floor and look over them, that way you can see where you need to fill in the blanks or take things out.

I usually get an idea out of the blue sky or when I'm watching another movie. For instance, I was watching "The Fugative" about a year ago and I thought "I want to make a good action/suspense movie." Thus I came up with the idea for "Code of Dissolution". I went through maybe 4 different beginnings and 2 re-writes until I finally got everything the way I liked it.
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

rep22 wrote:Yes, I understand what you guys are saying. And there are times where I'll be watching something, and get an idea, but as soon as I get excited about it, I lose interest, thinking it wouldn't come out good. Seeing as I'm the only one in about a 50 mile radius that actually has an interest in making movies(that I know of) it's hard for me to build on ideas, when I have no one to help act, film, and whatnot.
I know how you feel man. Most of the people in the town I live in are into drugs and alcohol so I'm basically the only one with interest in making movies. Its hard to make one by yourself, even though thats what my current project is. Often I get ideas from listening to music. I write these ideas down. There was one project that I was working 6 months ago. I was going to try and do an animation short. I had the story all plotted out. I knew what enviornments I wanted to create. I knew what kind of characters I wanted, how they looked and dressed. I was 35% into the project, when I suddenly lost interest. So I know how you feel. But this next project is different. No really it is :)
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

Haha, thanks wildstorm, I'm glad someone is able to relate. It just seems that just about everyone is a part of a group of 2+ people, which is a HUGE advantage over what I've got. Simply having someone to give their input is crucial at times. But oh well, next year at Purdue I'll have lots of classmates that will be able to help! haha! Anywho, thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. Now I just gotta relax and hope something comes to me... Good luck with your project wildstorm..
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Another idea is to take something that is or has ever happened in your life and build a story out of that. Right now my parents are constantly begging me to get a job, I can't becasue I'm taking too many advanced high school classes and such. My movie now is basically about a kid whos parents are begging him to get a job, he then does anything he can to earn money but not have a full or part time job.

Also, whenever you have an idea write it down. You'll get a bunch of crazy stuff you can try to link together. Sometimes I just sit there and it just clicks out of nowhere, mostly when I'm not thinking about it.
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

Awesome...Wow, material just fell right into your lap! haha...You've got me thinkin now, so I'm gonna go see what I can come up with. Thanks Ken, that helped. Good luck with your movie as well!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Right now most of my incentive to do stuff is to prove people wrong or something. Like my teacher says that I'd never be able to make a movie without someone getting shot or blown up. So right now I'm writing a non-violent script.
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

Prove him wrong maj_barnes. I hate it when teachers do that. I believe Magneto(Xmen 2) said it best, "You are a god among insects. Don't let anyone tell you different" (Refering to a character named John aka Pyro who said he can only manipulate the fire not create it.) rep22, hope everything goes well for you and thank you for your encouragement.
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

ideas come to me, i watch alot of films and read a fair bit in the subjects im interested in, and get ideas for the basis of a film form in my mind i think about it working out the setting plot and background then go to my movie partner and tell him then we talk over it more and begin to write stuff down i alwyas think of time period whats happening at the time and so on before i constuct a story line
Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

I just want to say, that the keywords in this guy's post that stuck out to me is that he said he is not creative. I must say that if you aspire to be a filmmaker than you are in horrible shape. This is not the field for you. Creaitivity is such an important trait to have for this field. Thats why some people do filmmaking and many don't. I know it seems like a glamorous career but thats not what you should strive for within' this field. It should be your passion, and if it were your passion than these wouldn't be questions that you would have. It is something that comes natural and can't be structurized. However, if you are simple interested in the technical aspect of filmmaking and not the creative aspect than, I suggest you get hooked upw ith toher people who do this sort of thing, and trust me, no matter where you are these people do exist. Every area even has small independent production groups and if you volunteered your time I'm sure they would teach you and help you in this such field. Also, myspace is a very efficient networking tool if used properly, and so is craigs list. These people do exist, everywhere. I think you should seriously assess your aspirations and be realistic.
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

Life experiences do it for me, that or getting drunk and coming upwith wild a** offensive ideas.
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

Meade87 wrote:I just want to say, that the keywords in this guy's post that stuck out to me is that he said he is not creative.
Well, thats impossible...I never said that...lol I'm able to transform stuff to ways that I want it to be, it's just finding an idea that I like, and feel as though it is worth pursuing...That's where my bad imagination comes in to play. I'll come up with an idea, and just don't see it working out, in my head, so I scratch that idea off the list.

Anywho, its been over a month since the start of this thread, and I'd just like to say that I've come up with some good material as of lately. I was at a small film festival in a local city a couple weeks ago, and saw lots of stuff that inspired me. Small stuff, camera angles, content, order of shots...It was a worthwhile experience.