How would I create a timer?

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

iffertizzle

How would I create a timer?

Post by iffertizzle »

To countdown throughout my video but it's always on the screen and in real time. It'll start at 99 and countdown through zero and will always be on screen.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: How would I create a timer?

Post by OutcastJiob »

Maybe this isn't what you're looking for, but why don't you film a timer counting down (like the glowing timer on your stove or microwave) in a dark room, and then use a lighten, screen, or similar overlay to place the counter over your video?

Alternatively, you could make a digital counter, but hey, K.I.S.S. -- if the microwave timer would work, why not just use it?
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

I did something like that one time, but I used a timecode from Premiere. I was doing a video project for an invention, and I did one of those "home shopping network" type of infomercials, and I used that timer and had it countdown. It worked just fine, might be something to look into...
Adam

Post by Adam »

Give us some idea of colours and font etc and I can make you one with lightwave. I did these a while back

http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/view ... ght=#95645

and i have got hh:mm:ss versions as well
iffertizzle

Post by iffertizzle »

Thanks Adam, I'm trying to make a Mortal Kombat parody video using real people so I need a counter that counts from 99 seconds to 0. I guess the font would be impact and in red. You don't have to if it too much trouble but I would appreciate it.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Ok here it is.

Count Down

The file is 25 frames per second so you will need to slow it down to 1 frame per second and make the green background transparent.

You will also probably want to resize it and move it in the frame.
iffertizzle

Post by iffertizzle »

thanks alot!