is the spas12 good looking in real life?

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

townshend88

is the spas12 good looking in real life?

Post by townshend88 »

is this gun: http://www.hobbytron.com/Spas-12-Airsof ... Stock.html

realistic looking in real life? is the stock sturdy so you can pretend to fire with it without it bending or breaking?
"Can the boy tell time?"
"Oh my Lord, no."
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

It does look real except for the end of the pump/handle thing, looks a lil funky... anyways i wouldnt worry about it. Looks alot like the gun by that guy in Jurassic Park, lol. only 18$ is a bargain, i might paint it a bit darker maybe, but thats just me
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

no it seems ok to me and if you do decide for whatever reason to paint it it would help it alot if it was metallic paint. the gun looks very good and it seems an excellent deal, although i still wouldnt smash it against a wall with full force, so it doesnt look like it would break easily but remember it IS plastic.
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Use car primer liberally.
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

Thats really nice looking. I think its spanish, or italian special forces that use the SPAS the most, but it is used int he US among swat teams. Thats a really nice looking picture of it. I Wouldnt change it at all. And yes it is a funky lookin gun, but thats the way its supposed to be.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

DEDFX wrote:Looks alot like the gun by that guy in Jurassic Park, lol
I think it actually was a SPAS-12 in Jurassic Park?

Anyway, yes, give it a "look-like-metal" paint job when you get it, and maybe a tiny bit of detailing work, but apart from that, it looks great.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

ya i meant to write paint it metal looking (gun metal), if it alredy is leave it unless it looks fake.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

I agree you should give it a metal looking paint, as it is it looks VERY plastic.
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

I think it already looks pretty good. When this gun is in motion, people won't see the diffrence. It's more the weight (and the way you hold it due to the fact that it may be lightweight, unlike the real gun) that looks unnatural. Add some dirt, that's all it needs iMHO, as long as you don't want to do any macro shots.

Plastic guns usually look plastic only when they have scratches, they don't look the same like scratches on metal.
townshend88

Post by townshend88 »

whats the best way to increase the weight of an airsoft gun?
"Can the boy tell time?"
"Oh my Lord, no."
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I put plaster in mine (thank god it didn't crack because plaster expands when it sets) also this obviously wrecks the "airsoft" part of it.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

I have that gun, in the stockless version, and yes it is good. The silver, metallic finish on it is actually pretty nice, and the gun funtions niceley. There is some word of that particualar version snapping in half, though mine seems quite sturdy. One word of warning, this gun is full size, and that means it is goddamn huge. If you or your actors are small, then this will just look ridiculous.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Chances are you've got the Tokyo Marui version - extremely sturdy, reliable, realistic. The ZIDA shotgun that we have here most definitely is a piece of s*** that will probably break in half within the first few weeks of owning it.

How much did you pay for yours?
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

Townshend88 - if you can open the gun, EG the grip then probably there's some hollow space, put some heavey metal into it, lead or steal parts. The not so cheap softair guns already have metal inside the grip.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

SgtPadrino wrote: Chances are you've got the Tokyo Marui version
I wish! Mine is most definatly not the Tokyo version, I bought it at my local dollar store for $50, but it is ABS, so I'm happy. It may be a CYMA. Upon looking closer at that picture, it would appear that the stock is held on with the manufacturers equivalent of chewing gum and twine. One good pump and it looks like it'll come clean off.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
JackBauerII

Post by JackBauerII »

SPAS 12's usually have carrying grips that hook onto the end of the folding stock. The grip is shaped like a hook so, if you want to get a little more realistic, it's not that hard to fabricate.
If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
hmbtnguy

Post by hmbtnguy »

just wondering but how exactly do you guys paint your guns? Like what kind of paint do you use, and do you use spray paint?
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Car primers work nicely. I usually opt for various Testors metallic spray paints, which are amazing but more expensive. You don't want the plastic look to it. Also make sure the paint will stick to plastics. I like the Testors brand because it will not rub off.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

If it's just black I simply use the cheapest black spraypaint I can find, usually from a liquidation outlet. If it's any other colour though (silver, gunmetal, etc...) go with Epsilon and use Testors model paint, either in spray cans if you can match it, or mixed liquid paints.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

What is interesting is gun metal really isn't true black, it's "blued". If you have a chance to get ahold of blued metal, check it out. Or just visit a gunshop and take a look at real rifles and pistols. Once you have a definitive idea of how it looks, reflects, etc... you will have an easier time finding paint and in making it more realistic. Also, guns are not usually scarred up, dented, scratched, or look like they've been through a sublevel of hell. Weapons are typically kept in good shape, even in third-world countries. If your paint job is good, you don't need the extra fancy, "beat to s***" touchups.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

looks awesome to me! :D
But hey, do you think these guys are to trust? hobbytron.com?

i found this Desert eagle i want to buy:

"The Airsoft Electric Gun Desert Eagle is a Blow Back gun meaning it simulates the feel of a real gun."

edit: do you think this will look great? realistic?
www.Systrickz.com (stunts, tricks, martial arts, flips + little effects in some vids)
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Don't waste your time with airsoft electrics. The blowback is nothing short of absolutely pathetic, the stick magazines are too small so you can't have any shots of you reloading your gun - in short, don't bother. They make better paperweights than props. Look into gas blowback guns - realistic blowback, stripping and lookalike magazines, a much better investment for use in movies.
JackBauerII

Post by JackBauerII »

Why not just edit in the blowback and invest in a cheaper spring gun? Search the forums, there's a good tutorial somewhere for editing in blowback.
If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Because editing in a blowback, in all likelyhood, would look far worse than a simulated blowback.

I agree with SgtPadrino on blowback guns... except the problems you face are the higher price and louder noise. It's $15 versus $90. All depends on how much you are willing to invest into realism.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

thanks for the answers. now my questions to you..
-it DOES blowback, right?
-What you mean I can't reload it? It's a soft gun, right, so it should be able to reload? or am i completely lost..?
-is this why it is so god damn cheap?
-and it also looks very realistic?

Thanks,
Freddie
www.Systrickz.com (stunts, tricks, martial arts, flips + little effects in some vids)