diffused glow effect

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

iCEbLuEORbitZ

diffused glow effect

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

ok, so if any of you have used photoshop and like the diffuse glow look to a picture (where it blurs the light and you can have it add a bit of grain. well, this look also gives a more dreamy/cinematic look, without degrading quality. so, first off make sure your footage is not overexposed, unless you want that look, becaues this will only amplify that. next, in premiere, after your footage is on the timeline, duplicate it and put it directly over the first clip. hide the new layer. on the first layer (lower) apply the color correction filter, set the black and white values, adjust coloration as you like, adjust saturation and contrast until you have a nicely contrasted and colored image. click the eye on the top track to show the duplicated clip. now apply a black and white filter. then adjust contrast, boost the brightness a little bit, and set the contrast fairly high. do a slight gaussian blur. add luma key to that track and adjust the settings as you please. then adjust the opacity of this layer to turn down the strength of the effect, and viola, you have a nice diffused look. used subtly makes a nice cinematic look.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: diffused glow effect

Post by maj_barnes »

iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

close, but my method does less image blurring, i'v tried that other one before, i'll post some comparisons between the 2 methods later.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Cool!
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

the main thing is to experiment and play around with it because this is just another varient of the other effect mentioned by maj_barnes so just be creative kiddies and you can invent your own new style!
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

Hehe I don't think this effect makes it look more movie like. It's only an effect that was seen lately, named Gloom, Bloom etc.
Games can add the effect in realtime, eg. Prince of Persia. I have added it to DrGreen sone time ago:

I often see this effect in TV Commercials, especially Teeth Paste Ads.
iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

here's a frame of my hopefully upcoming movie. it goes, raw footage, color corrected, diffused glow w/ color correction. when i say hopefully i mean my friend just possibly tore his acl tonite in football!! AAHH hopefully not.

the_satanic_COokie

Post by the_satanic_COokie »

I have to agree with the whole "gettin that film look" thing.

f*** it.

If you want it to look like film, shoot on film.

The irony is that if you DO buy the film it'll be expensive enough that you'll take extra time and care to set up each shot...which you coulv'e done on digital and got just as effective results.

i think people get hung up a bit too much on "film". Its great, and its traditional...but honestly it doesnt help suck me into a good story line, or appreciate a scene any more or less.

go for good produciton value REGARDLESS of what your shooting on thats what I say
iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

yea i totally agree with the last two comments here. you might have taken it wrong, because i think it's pointless also to spend all your time making it more "film like" and it isn't possible, because every movie has diferent color correctins, which are easy to replicate. the thing that makes film look like film is its lighting and most of all, the detail of the footage is so much better than any dv camera can get. but, what i'm saying is, i'm working on a big production right now, we're just getting started, and i'm trynig to make it as professional as i can w/ the equimpent i've got. i wrote a suspense/pshyco thriller script, which has no gunfighting, and explosions, cuz i get sick of watching those on here. and i hate overly action packed shots with rediculous cgi, especially on amateur films, cuz it looks bad. i give them credit for being able to do it, but it just takes away from the quality of the movie. the only reason i'm posting this is because after i've spent a lot of time shooting it and getting all that done, i want it to look professional, and not like raw video. iwant it to have a unique look, not so much a film look, thats just wat every1 else refers to it as. i totally agree with the last 2 comments
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

i think these effects dont really simulate film but are meant for as a general effect, note the name of the thread is diffused glow effect not film effect
Catscratch44

Post by Catscratch44 »

Likewise
"A morning without coffee is like sleep."
iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

thank you crossfire haha
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

lol welcome though im not quite sure i did much more than read the title, the proper place to discuss most of this stuff would be a thread i started a while back, its probably in 2nd or 3rd page of the special effects category or you could just start your own where people can discuss vaious efefcts they know
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

Of course this glow effect can be very useful (and the image I posted is only a testpic for a tools page). I would probably use this effect for a dream sequence. why not. And it may also be ok to use some Effects for the entire film. But I'd suggest don't try to "get the film look", instead try to find your personal style!
I remember there was an action movie from the netherlands, everything was blue-ish (contrary to the greenish feel of most movies these days), and the blue, almost monochrome tone made it's gunfights and city-ambience so cool. That was a great individual style.
I think you won't be successful if you copy somebodys style, but maybe people will remember you when you have a unique style.
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

beautifully said!
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

Heres an effect i like, doesnt work the best on people but looks pretty good in an action scene and works best on cars! if you are interested in how it was done PM me unless alot of people want to know then ill put in on here
before http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/27119363043.jpg&s=x4 after http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/27119364947.jpg&s=x4

people before http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/27119370731.jpg&s=x4 after http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/27119372476.jpg&s=x4
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

That looks really distorted, I think I have a setting on my camera for something like called pastel or art or something.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: RE: diffused glow effect

Post by Kentertainment »

Personally for me I think the diffused glow effect is better for still pictures. It makes video look a little too grainy.

In next film "I Want Money" I'm giving it a soft glow, with slight grain, increased gamma, and (possibly) a cool blue (for a cold fall effect). Generally I like to enhance the picture of my movies because it's more of an art form, used to express.

No matter what experience you have I think everybody that is able to use extensive tools to enhance picture should do it in some way. I personally hate looking at nothing but washed out, digital picture that hasn't been tweaked in some way, it's just too plain and boring.
Last edited by Kentertainment on Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Re: RE: diffused glow effect

Post by aaronv2 »

mmmm film grain *drools*
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Re: RE: diffused glow effect

Post by OutcastJiob »

Kentertainment wrote: No matter what experience you have I think everybody that is able to use extensive tools to enhance picture should do it in some way. I personally hate looking at nothing but washed out, digital picture that hasn't been tweaked in some way, it's just too plain and boring.
True, true. But why damage your nice tweaked video with grain--something "Hollywood" filmmakers try so hard to minimize?
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

The Duel

I basically took the glow to an extreme level, I originally wanted it to be spaghetti western style but I couldn't find any music that would fit right.

Filters/effects come down to personal preferences - if you want your movie to look stylized or whatnot, go for it, if you don't like the miniDV 'smoothness' tweak it to your heart's content. It all comes down to what YOU think looks good, not what other people do.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

This effect has been done for years photographically at least - Smear vasilene over the lens!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

I did an effect similar to this for the concluding scene of Forgotten.

Like this?
@seanbagley
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

You know Gyro... trousers are never bloused with a class dress uniform. ;)

Diffusion can be really effective, even in subliminal amounts. It feels almost like you are losing the solid connection in the film. I like it. Stores sell diffusion filters for the camera lens too. It's a little more organic feeling than done in post, but usually one wouldn't notice.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

It's your film, have a blast! Just not to much to the extent where we're more concentrated on the look rather than the story itself.