17!! from 16 - 17 a whole new tip!

Tutorials and guides or links covering software discussed in these forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

17!! from 16 - 17 a whole new tip!

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Hi there! Well here are ten vital tips for film-makers! I will add more in future if there is any demand :)

//PRODUCTION

1) SCROLL LOCK, AUTO-LOCK - AUTO FOCUS ETC

Sounds obvious doesn't it? Yet how many films i have seen here that suddenly in a shot, diverge into autofocus, and even worse lol, is if that poor film maker has used some film look filter etc, (oh its painful) then u have something that looks kinda half cool, but is obviously been done in a camcorder and uch.

Worse still athe Auto-Lock, or Scroll Lock, it has several names across the world, but basically it is a simple button on prosumer mini dv cameras such as the XL-1 or PD 170 etc, which if not de-activated, will put all of your settings on automatic, from auto white balance, to auto focus, to auto iris, to auto gain etc. THIS YOU DO NOT WANT. Because it means, whatever changes you make to the functions of the camera, it will not listen, while that button is pressed. Any camera man worth half a penny will know not to have this left on, but for many amauter directors starting out, with so much else to worry about, its easily forgotten.

2) WHITE BALANCE
If you have not heard of white balance, or think its not important, think again. If there is one look that is never fashionable, it is that of no white balance. Now what is it some of you may ask?

Colour temperature is something our eyeballs see, it makes things look 'right' in the way we psychologically percieve colour, for day and night etc. Thing is though, colour is not recognised by cameras, in the same way we recognise them, unless we tell the camera what is 'right' for its eyes.

If we don't then for example, tungsten lights or practical lights will give all your indoor footage orangey glows, or if filming indoors you may end up (during the day without artificial lights) with a bluish look. Worse still, shot to shot even in the same room, but with different light sources, even if filmed in the same time, can look completely different.

That is the main reason anyones film can have a crappy 'camcorder' look. - because of lighting yes, but because of white balance. This is a BASIC camera technique that must be known.

So how do we do it? Well your camera will have in a digital menu, or button, a white balance function, we do this, by holding a white sheet (most often a slate) in front of the camera, (place it roughly in the area being filmed) and frame it in shot so that it covers your full frame. Do not, stick it right in front your camera, have it zoom in.

Once zoomed, and with white only in frame, press your white balance, and 'bing' the white you were framing will suddenly look a lot more white... so will the rest of your shot.

This must be done every time if lighting conditions change.

3) FOCUS & FRAMING

Many here do not really focus properly, this is painfully obvious at times, (and if you can notice it in a wmv export god knows what the dvd will look like huh.) Obvious mistakes are of course auto-focus, PUT IT OFF, but also if for example, the proper focus technique is not used, then mistakes can be made such as,

Getting your background in focus, and subject is soft, or just plain 'just off focus.'

You see, there is only one proper way to set your focus...
Zoom in all the way into an object in the scene, (something just off your subject perhaps) then focus it there. ZOOM IN and focus.

Once you zoom out, everything in the entire scene will then be in focus - hey presto, that is how its done.

Oh and framing? Use your tripods 'spirit level' and while taking the camera off the tripod is all the rage (hell i do it all the time too it makes for dynamic movements) the guys that do it 'right' do it because they have already mastered the basics of camera framing and correct framing.
So get to grips with a tripod, (even a cheap one) check your tilt and pan locks, always check your spirit level, (lol the dot)

4) 180 DEGREE RULE (VITAL)

Well, several of you may not know this, but instinctively do it in your own films. We percieve reality in film, through a clever mirror manipulation, which basically uses this 'rule' for camera placement, in order that people appear on the correct side of a shot.

eh? i hear you say. Well basically just do this and all will be fine in life (then think about it, and it will make sense.)

Between two subjects, draw an invisible line, and if it helps, one can imagine a circle around them, with the line running in between.

Now if your camera faces person a, and is talking to b, well as you know, you won't face the camera straight on, you will have him on one 'side' of your frame. Person B on the other. How is this achieved? How does it look right?

BY ENSURING THE CAMERA NEVER LEAVES ONE SIDE OF THE SEMI CIRCLE.

If it does, visually your film will not make sense, only do this if you are INTENTIONALLY trying to disorientate the audience.

5) LIGHTING

Obviously one could write a whole book on this subject, so we are talking incredible basics here. Why does a 'film' have a 'film look' well sure, it uses film stock, its saturations and colours and imperfections give it a difference to mini dv etc, that blah blah, has higher resolution blah blah.

These are all true to an extent, but the biggest reason is lighting. Films with budgets (using film stock) can or will afford the use of proper lighting equipment, and usage. You can too...

Redheads, (not just that gorgeous kinda gal) but the tungsten light of 800w (it can vary) is a basic light, sits happily on its own tripod, can be plugged into your mains (use a circuit breaker!)

Use one light for just 1 subject, if you can get 2, use the second for your background, if 3, use it behind the subject to provide profile. (yep the quickest ever tut on 1, 2 and 3 point lighting.) Use diffusion filters (like tracing paper) to reduce intensity, or colour gels, to 'correct colour temperature' if your using red-heads to supplant day lighting.

Before you all moan, 'hey i cant afford god damn red heads etc' yeah but i bet you can afford to hire one! just one! If you want to use lights, read up more on the net. (if your indoors, there vital, daylight will probably 90% time not be enough)

So if your cheap, make sure your outdoors, as indoor lighting is tricky, and its why half the member films with indoor shots looks like our neighbours wedding video.

So outdoor lighting is easy? no, easier, in this case, we have daylight woohoo, it will give us enought light but, day light can be soft or hard.

HARD - really bright day, strong lights, strong shadows.
SOFT - Cloudy day, even light.
(see tip 6 Exposure)

In any case if you need a little more light, use a 'reflector board' to reflect more light into shadowed areas, (for example under the chin) this again can be vital.

Make one by getting a giant piece of A1 White card, (you can experiment with it, but god forbid don't use foil!)

6) EXPOSURE

Well, this is vital too, gaining a positive exposure is simply a must, otherwise your film is good only for peeing on. Without exposure (enough light) we get gain, which is the fuzzy kinda background noise, because not enough light is getting to produce a signal blah blah.

So how do we ensure enough light gets in? (but not too much either?) this is trickier, but vital to learn. We have exposure dials, irises etc, and we can monitor the results these have, in our monitor or viewfinder, via the F stops.

F6.5 or F2.8 etc, you see these? these are telling ya how much light the camera has been told to let in, if it goes all the way down loads of light can get in, all the way up, no light will get in. You can tinker with em, and you will see your shots brighten or darken, but you cannot go by the viewfinder, as results can vary.

Commonly mini dv cameras will be set to a low Fstop, and hence will wash out things like the sky and clouds (become white) and other contrasts won't be pretty. (then notice, filming at evening indoors how grainy it looks and nothing is in focus?)

NOTE - without enough light, you will not be able to focus!!!

So tips? Well this is very vague, and you must practice, cos lighting conditions can vary enormously! If you have a cloudy day, i'd go with a lower f-stop, let more light in, but ensure things like the sun are not in the background! (so go with fstops under 4)

If in a strong lit day, (hard light) get your subject out of any 'uranium like sunlight' and keep your f-stop a little higher, anywhere between 4- 7

Be wary cos even 7 or higher, can produce grainy nastiness.

When indoors, using lighting (it can vary so much, that you must simply use what you learn from exposure outdoors with these lights.)

7) SOUND

Fancy professionals usually use dat tape recorders (these are cheap) with hooked mics, usually cos the director is using film stock (which doesn't record sound, and is why the clapper board is used to sync it later.)

So for us, we normally use our cameras to record sound, but wait? you are not using the camera microphone are you? Well don't! It sounds cr**, it sounds hideous, and nobody in their right mind should or does use it professionally. So what do they use? Well, a nice boom mic, shotgun mic, or mic on a fishpole etc.

This might sound scary to some, but basically, you can hire these guys very very cheap, and there you will have it, a broom handle with a mic on the end (or something you hold in your hand) and if you do it, and use it properly, your film can sound great!

So then, to use the microphone properly, (and were talking a 'condenser microphone') that will use batteries or phantom power or your camera for juice (this might be confusing but this is something u can ask the guy ur hiring it from, and take ur camera to the hire place and test it there, that kinda thing is cool and acceptable)

So u got ur mic, first get your sound man, and he will wear headphones (attached to the camera) and will hold your mic (with a nice dangerous trailing cable) and his job will be to get the mic to the action. The mic must be placed at approximately ARMS LENGTH towards the speaker. That is damn close right? YEP, but thats how its done. IF you get further, sound DRAMATICALLY reduces in quality. It is up to you, to shoot your film realistically that you can accomodate the sound man.

"but hey dude i saw a movie where the guy talked"

Yeah well, they were using 'radio microphones' or 'tie-clips' etc, but before you go 'hey man ill just use that' they are a lot more expensive, and before you go 'hey man its just $1 on ebay' nooo... good ones 'acceptable ones' are expensive. Again you can hire them, but the sound quality of good ones is still inferior to the much cheaper aforementioned mic, if used properly.

The sound man has headphones, so he can listen in case a pigeon farts, or a car goes past that ruins the scene. Professional sound guys are great, but normally it will be ur buttmunch pal doing it, keep him straight, cos he has to keep attentive! If he isn't u will cry during the edit...

Oh and in the edit, apply a noise sound filter in something like soundforge (go check it out) to get rid of or reduce any 'hiss'

//PRE-PRODUCTION

8) PLANNING

Every short film must be planned accurately, now this could go on forever, so i'll be brief.

You must make a script, this seems obvious? unless you are working with PROFESSIONAL actors, who are aware very deeply of the improvisational scenario their working with (aka blair witch) then its a big NO. And before you say, hey man there were no professional actors in Blair witch... well, most actors who are professional are not 'famous' in the usa perspective... and are worth a million 'mates' to fill in acting roles.

So then, we have a script, actors need their scripts weeks in advance, (of course even i cant ususally manage that lol) so at least a week. If you don't then you will have problems. If you do not organise a rehearsal (with no camera's) you will have problems... if you do not have actors, and you gave them the script on the day of shooting... you will have enormous problems.

So we have a script, put it in the proper format (Read up on it) get a copy of final draft. Why? Cos then you will accidentally learn to make a shooting script. This is a list of all your shots. You need this and you gotta make lots of copies, for your AD and crew.

You will use this early on to go thru your AD and talk about the shots, and then liason on improving it further. With that complete, i would suggest very much, that you make a rough storyboard.

A Long shot, is just a LS in a script? it means buggery, but a storyboard, with a drawing of the subject and location, is in the confines of time and stress during photography MUCH EASIER.

So you got a script, a shooting script, a storyboard, what else do you need? A shooting schedule. This is how many shots you are going to do in a day, in a time, and in what order, and leave copius amounds of time for actors to turn up, get made up, (or for scum being late) and give em time to have something to eat in the middle. Do not over burdern yourself in the shooting schedule.

9) CASTING

I touched on this, one horrendous mistake i see in films often here, is that the gimps they pick to perform are their own mates and friends. This can be absolutely acceptable if your friends are Kevin Spacey and Donald Sutherland, but i doubt most are...

Well like it or not but our company of friends often resemble ourselves, if we are nerds our friends tend to be so, or if ur sporty then many of ur friends can be, If your YOUNG then most of your friends will be.

Obviously becasue their often not actors, or student actors they will actually suck in performance (if you mean to use em a lot, and they really want to be actors, they should already be studying it or be in an amatuer dramatics group to learn from more experienced individuals.)

A HALLMARK of lowbudget young peoples films, is the 'limited' variety of people, especially age.

IF I SEE ANOTHER FILM WITH 12 YEAR OLDS WIELDING MP5s in some clone of 24 or whatever..... i will hunt you down...

It looks cr**, so don't do it. Grovel to anyone over 20+ 30+ 40+ even your mommy daddy stepdad grandpa who-ever will make a better actor than your friend TJ.

10) SCRIPT ORIGINALITY (VITAL)

Before there was conformity, there was first originality, but all conformity we see in televison or film, be it the bleached bypass film filter of saving pvt ryan, to the mp5 counterstrike game movie thriller clones skulking around here, to whatever, they were first original.

Anything you see on tv or the cinema, is already getting old, the marketing guys are innovating on the carcass or replacing it, if you go and make it again, then thou shall be cursed why?

Your relationship to the visual media (film) is when your making a film, as a producer, (a creator) not as an audience member. If you create it with the mind set of an audience member (be it cattle for michael bay or the arty student for akira kurosawa) you will only replicate a vastly inferior product.

So where do we start? well start with ideas that surround you? Find inspiration in the novelties that are exclusive to yourself, and read a lot.

READ A LOT - this sounds patronising, but god i could not care less, for those who do read a lot, well know the worth of the statement, and those who don't (and will be offended perhaps) need the lesson most of all.

If you read Toltstoys War & Peace, as opposed to er harry potter, or watching band of brothers (no offence its good but were talking inspiration) then trust me, from that novel, or any other, you will be finding the building blocks of creativity that in fact came to spawn the entertainments around today.

Big difference though is you will be innovating with the building blocks, and not replicating the finished article.

Read, and intellectualise your mind, and you will find your scripts are more unusual, and sophisticated than ANYTHING exported into the mainstream form of entertainment that last inspired you...

////////////////

Thats my tips for today, those were ten, i will add more pre, production and post tips in the future, i might make this thread a kind of work in progress for newbies etc if you want it to continue etc.

If i seemed a little mean muhahaha, well u can all get back at me on my member film thread at,

http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7888
Last edited by Lawriejaffa on Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spartan_Monkey

RE: 10 VITAL TIPS for all film-makers to remember! I

Post by Spartan_Monkey »

Some of those are important but I dont rekon all of those are vital.
Ewwwww....... is that a bit of Covenant on my helmet?
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

eh!? like which of those isnt vital? hehe or let me rephrase that,

'actually... yes they are all vital'
reflexive_cinematics
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by reflexive_cinematics »

I'll add one.

If your directing the bit, it's vital that you have a megaphone to yell 'cut' and then a directors chair to relax after a hard days work of yelling 'cut' over and over. :P
[url=http://www.reflexive-cinematics.com][img]http://reflexive-cinematics.com/images/sigbanner.jpg[/img][/url]
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

I find it hard to yell cut, or to give people directions. I usually just mumble it :)
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

PREPRODUCTION - COMPANY! (APPLIES TO UK - CONSULT FOR US)

11) Okay, so this is pretty vital for when you hit a magical age, and you want your business to be taken a little more seriously. Perhaps at highschool you were mucking about, and now your wanting to study at university and you want to get this business on the road too.

It is essential if you want to sell any of your material over the internet, or to have it entereted into many festivals, or wether you want to get many professional talent or crew to help, that you have a company.

There are several kinds however.

So lets say you are 'Tin Pot Joe from Utah' your 16 and you love makin movies. Well if thats the case, i'd suggest holding back on the company till your 18...

You reach 18, now in the UK, there are several organisations that will bequeath money upon you, if you are very lucky. In Scotland this is Scottish Screen, in England the 'Arts Council' sees to it, both these organisations over see dozens of others that can also provide money. They provide money to 'companies' basically, and imo tend much less to give money to individiuals (in relation to film, if ur making cornish pottery ur in the winnings hehe.

Right so companies...

1) Limited Company

This is by far the most common type of company founded in the industry for making a film, most film-makers in fact make a company for every film, (this lets them get loans from the banks based on this films business plan as opposed to the whole companies financial record.)

In any case mine is just Limited full stop, (not for every film) and it means 'limited liability' that is, that if we cannot pay back the loans 'the company takes' then the company goes bankrupt, but your personal money is safe. (sounds great) but its not that simple.

You have to file your tax returns every year hrmph. Now for the plus sides, having a wee name with Ltd at the end of it, despite the effort, gives your company credos. To investors it tells them your legit, to govt bodies giving money, or charities, it means your companies assets are liable, (which they want) and in general, means you are to be taken seriously.

It is ILLEGAL, very much so, to pretend you have an ltd in front of a made up company name. Do this, and anyone, even for evil fun, could point you out, and you'd have a man in a suit tell u off on the phone. So don't.

In the UK, you can operate for free as a sole trader, working under your own name. The difference is that, you cannot technically show your company off, cos legally its just you. So you could have 'Johnny the Film-maker' or Billy Cameraman lol
You get the idea.

Other business legals you can have are partnerships etc, but really when it comes to film, there is just limited companies, typically production companies.

So sorry if this went on, really the business side, needs more reading if your interested, but is VITAL, for those film makers who want to form their own production companies. For further help, you can contact me ;)

12) LEGALITY

So i can hear you all moan about this one... boooring, (if company stuff wansnt already.) Well this is important for serious film-makers, and many may already know this. But what i say is, this is important for so called 'amatuer' film makers (there all the same as film-makers to me)

Lets start with your opening credits, if you have a production company take away any legal definitions such as Ltd riiight now!

Right, now this is simple, do not use any visual material that is copyright without permission of the original author? Does this sound obvious? Then WHY is it ignored when it comes to sound or music?

VISUALS 50%
SOUND 50% These two halves make a film, but if a film rips off sound, 50% of the whole film, is tainted, it shows, the author is not serious, is breaking the law even, is basically 'not bothered' cos its easy enough to find real legal music, or even to take some 'acceptable shortcuts'

Some gimp on another forum said, its legal if its under 30 seconds - WRONG, do not EVER fall for any daft short cuts you hear suggested like that, it can get you in trouble if you take your film even to a low profile local festival.

So, don't rip of Braveheard soundtrack or anything else from other trailers, isntead get into the mindset of 'talking' to musicians, or synthetic composers, (fruity loops, or scriabin prog users etc) Also, there are many midi files out there, of music over 75 years for USA or 50 in the EU (if i recall) that can be used with the author (guy who made it into a midi) permission. Or you can be a total git and make it a wave file and change it a little (nobody would ever tell) but i think its a bit low... (same goes for sound effects) not legal to rip, but very easy to do it, and so unofficially acceptable lol.

Heres another wee legal foible, 'incidental inclusion' alright, so say you get the perfect shot of an amazing looking thing, i don't know, say a zeppelin, or a fancy historical painting. All these guys have copyrights on the use of their visuals (crazy i know) but its alright because, so long as in a scene these are incidental, you know, like guy has convo in front of it, or walks past it, this is generally alright. Set up a big shot tho, that stays with it (like say in a ghost film u say this famous painting is haunted and so u keep seeing it... then your in potential trouble.)

14) CONTRACTS

Alright, to Teddy Joe of Alberta, out there in the cold with his young pals, this hardly seems relevant right? Well maybe, but when Teddy Joe hits 18, and an actor decides she doesnt like the entire film and walks 8 weeks after the edit is complete... then BIG PROBLEM.

Without contracts your screwed, and without contracts nobody will touch your film commercially, and nobody can legally sell it very safely, (a distributer would have to be mad to do so...) and even if you sell it yourself without contracts, your are still screwed because, actors get annoyed, they can have it injunctioned and ur money gets munched. (what few $$$ were made lol.)

So Crew all need contracts signing them for the times they worked.
Actors all need 'release forms' giving you the rights, to use all visual materials.

Now i know what your saying 'hey man i cant do that' well yes you can, its damn easy, if gonzo porn can manage it im sure u can. Check the net, or even books (ok i aint pluggin here, but guerilla guide to film-makers) and other books, that all include these contracts on cds etc, or just order the cds. Print em' make copies, have em signed, and hey presto, your film is as legally tight as a drum!

////////////////////

Btw this stuff is useful to u dudes lol! right?! lol
Spartan_Monkey

Post by Spartan_Monkey »

Lawriejaffa wrote:eh!? like which of those isnt vital? hehe or let me rephrase that,

'actually... yes they are all vital'
My bad, I read one of them wrong lol. I rekon there all relevent. :wink:
Clarence wrote:I find it hard to yell cut, or to give people directions. I usually just mumble it :)
LOL same. :P
Ewwwww....... is that a bit of Covenant on my helmet?
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

Lawriejaffa wrote:PREPRODUCTION - COMPANY! (APPLIES TO UK - CONSULT FOR US)

14) CONTRACTS

Alright, to Teddy Joe of Alberta, out there in the cold with his young pals, this hardly seems relevant right? Well maybe, but when Teddy Joe hits 18, and an actor decides she doesnt like the entire film and walks 8 weeks after the edit is complete... then BIG PROBLEM.

Without contracts your screwed, and without contracts nobody will touch your film commercially, and nobody can legally sell it very safely, (a distributer would have to be mad to do so...) and even if you sell it yourself without contracts, your are still screwed because, actors get annoyed, they can have it injunctioned and ur money gets munched. (what few $$$ were made lol.)

So Crew all need contracts signing them for the times they worked.
Actors all need 'release forms' giving you the rights, to use all visual materials.

Now i know what your saying 'hey man i cant do that' well yes you can, its damn easy, if gonzo porn can manage it im sure u can. Check the net, or even books (ok i aint pluggin here, but guerilla guide to film-makers) and other books, that all include these contracts on cds etc, or just order the cds. Print em' make copies, have em signed, and hey presto, your film is as legally tight as a drum!
Always I repeat always get the actors to sign release forms!Same goes for locations. I know a guy that made a film a few years ago and at the time cast an unknown actress, she went on to TV shows etc. He never got her to sign the release form and now the distributors cannot release his film.
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

I forgot Sonnyboo.com has free downloadable contracts and release forms.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

14) INDUSTRY FRAMING

Now heres a funny one, because we are talking about camera framing here but, we know already how subjective that can be. For example, a MID SHOT, can vary enormously between different directors, or camera operators. It is important also when having meetings with staff regarding the shooting script, that everyone is on the same wave length, because when these letters are just abbreviations on a text script, everyone can visualise the film so differently based on their own perspective of framing, that critical advice or criticism may never be stated during the planning phase, because, nobody knows where everyone else is.

So i cite the common shots here, and i do so perhaps for the benefits of many of you are new to using shooting frames whatsoever, (no many i expect but it all helps.) These shots are commonly used in UK television broadcasting, I include the appropriate abbreviation.

These shot listings use the human subject for comparison.

ECU - Extreme Close Up (eg. the human eye)
VCU - Very Close Up (eg. the human eye and nose in shot)
BCU - Big Close up (eg. most human face, top and bottom head cut off)

Note the above all seem like mere close ups right? The distinction is important though, for many artistic camera visual options, that may use a varied number of mixed close ups etc.

CU - Close Up (eg. Human head, top of shoulders, may or may not cut off top slice off head, -just)

MCU - Mid Close Up (common, used in soaps etc, films for conversations often, head, shoulders with a little room in shot for anything else - just)
MLS - Medium Long Shot (Generally 2 steps back from a MS, would include 2 / 3 of a human subject in shot.)

LS - Long Shot (eg. The person, standing entirely)

ELS - Extreme Long Shot (eg. Person standing in distance, or landscapes etc)

Right so for these examples I used human subjects, a shot is always deterimined frame wise based on what the 'subject' is, ie. a train, actor, a building etc. So in other words, you choose one thing and frame your shot on that :)
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

15) CULTURAL CODES

Okay so your staring at me in bewilderment (possibly) well what is this you ask!
Basically In english we have a word for chair, that is 'chair' and so do the French and so on, hence peoples have different perceptions of things via the different words they use.

Just as language can connotate slight alterations in shared meanings, cultures can do so even greater. Now i hear you saying, yeah lawrie, duh, etc. But the cultural code is more sublte than 'not trying to market saving pvt ryan to the iranians.'

Lets look at Westerns, for example 10 years ago, (or perhaps still now even) if you ask one what a movie cowboy looks like, especially a non american, they will say,

JEANS!

Now i know your thinking, hey all these cowboys nowadays wear jeans, but no... we asked them what movie cowboys... In popular culture, spaghetti westerns clint eastwood etc, and others typified cowboys as wearing jeans, and other clothes not true historically (that is not the point however) but true culturally.

IOW people believed it cos it felt right, and when films came out that showed cowboys as they did dress historically (plain clothes of the 19th century) it did not feel right! In fact to them those films were less convincing!

Now another example, Scotland is immortalised in film as in effect the 'Highlands' and in the USA is the land of valleys and Golf? Why because the american cultural code says Scotland is like that, and if Scotland is displayed in a film as anything but that, they will be confused by it.

EDIT// One more example hehe, ALIENS - in the West, aliens are 99% of the time here to invade and destroy (quote ET if u like, but thats 1% of western alien films where they dont kill us lol) The West was preoccupied that aliens would invade (in movies) just like in real life, the west was concerned for invasion by the USSR (communists)
NOTE lol, in Soviet Sci Fi Films (a massive fan genre in the old USSR) did aliens invade? No, in blaring contrast, aliens were benevolent and lovely, why? Cos the aliens were communist!!! And they would often come, and export communist to the other countries holding out (nicely) Just like the USSR wanted to export communist abroad (albeit not nicely)

Point being, would a russian 'get' a western alien film, and would a western believe in Communist aliens there to help!? Nope, and that is the cultural code full stop lol

Another example in the ww2 movie Dundee Rangers, US troops are stationed in the city of dundee in scotland, it was then an industrial area, grim and grey, but in the film, dundee is a countryside village/town! Why? Again cos americans would not believe it.

This cultural code applies to of course, all nationalities, religions, cultures, and it is important to assess this for your market. It is VITAL, because if you do not, it is IRRELEVANT if your film is historically accurate, or your story is true based, or whatever, because if it is not understandable according to the cultural code of your audience, they will reject it!

Eg. Check the film i produced in members called, 'The Hidden Child' for an example of how a scottish cultural code translates to you and where your from' i.e. if the film makes sense to you (for it does to - scots) !
Last edited by Lawriejaffa on Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

16) FREUD! (VITAL)

Right im not trying to impress with a waffle about freud, (im sure u could correct me anyway) but this is relative to script writing.

Sigmund Freud was a psychiatrist (the first) and before him, there were different explanations as to why people did things, (we would call it psychological motive, but again freud invented that so...) we are stuck instead with why?

And before Freud, if you did something bad it was because (you were evil, especially in christo early victorian periods and before) I.e. Tainted by the coruptions of evil, this man stole an apple etc. (cos he was hungry? No, if he was 'good' he would resist, but evil he'd give into temptation, just like the Old Testemant.)

Again forgive my typos (dyslexia) and yes i do have a point, coming soon. After good & evil didnt explain everything and with the industrial revolution, people kinda wondered if we werent just like machines, (construtavism) was then used to explain behaviour, so if u ate well, kept your parts in order hehe you were a good man etc.

Then came along Freud, and was he liked? No, he was seen as a total nutter, and his ideas were seen as perverse, (you want to kill your dad, rape your mom and eat your own faeces is hardly no1 fav theory of the day.)

But... while mocked, it became the DOMINANT form of psychology today, for after the elites took it in, it fell to the masses like us below. And today, a hundred years beyond, we are now (in western society) influenced mostly by it, particular in fictional works with characters.

Any character without a psychological motivation, will not be seen as truelly capable of fulfilling the actions they choose to do so, in a story. (for old stories before freud, we imagine the motivation for characters)

So then, we believe if parents are bad, we end up kinda bad, that sex is the biggest influence psychologically (not porn lol, subtler than that.)

So what does this mean!? If you are a script writer, your characters MUST be fully developed, ROUNDED, psychological beings for them to be understandable and believable in the western world (note the cultural code above.)

When this is never achieved, characters come across as unconvincing as to their motives, (and just look at cultures without freudian precepts and how you second guess for example the kung fu hero who picks his single life in the school over going with the girl he rescued!? Makes no sense = to us freudians (without realising it)

So okay im waffling, if you want to write great characters, for the west, you must read freud (get a beginners guide, its all you'll need.) and you will be AMAZED at how much seems familiar, but also how much richer your characters will become ;)
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I don't bother saying cut or action, I just say stop and go.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

What!? I type all that about cultural codes and u dont even give me a cookie maj barnes? Just some reply to some gimp joking about when to cut!!! Damn You!! lol
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

NO DAMN YOU! It's too long, I've been skimming through it. Just read my damn sig!
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

lol i'll make my next tip a little quicker! ;) btw how are the war movies!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

They're going, lol.
trabre2003

Post by trabre2003 »

I do the same, say stop and go, but after an exceptional take i say "good".
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

17) HOW CAN I GET MUSIC

There is a problem that some film-makers have, and that is getting access to music, that is basically, legal, in so much that it can therefore (The film) be entered into film festivals (that are not those of educational institutes...) but commerical, or so they can legitimately distribute.

Well this is an enormous problem for many i think because, (and im being presumptious here) that nowadays many film-makers, if not most, particularly web savy ones in these forums, start their interest more from the post production end, i.e. editing etc on software, than from the pre- or production end. Before non-linear editing, all the would be film-makers started out with cameras in their gardens, not in their bedroom compies, and hence i think it encouraged a more practical and blah blah attitude that means, many folks nowdays, try to solve all their musical problems, via the internet or with software, (not getting out a little further.)

Is that unfair to say that? yeah probably, but lets get beyond that.
So music, well first of all Public Domain.

There are misconceptions about PD music, namely that anything old can be used. So you get ur moms classical cd, and you can just rip it and stick it in your movie, all good right? NO, certainly not.

In the EU 50 years, and in the USA 75 (i think, correct me if im wrong) makes music - PD. But if that music is recorded, in other words, on cd, record or tape etc, then that person, from the time of recording, has another big whop of years (for which it is still copyrighted.)

So you think, 's***' what do i do? well of course you can pay record companies, (and im talking classical or ambient compositional) which can set u back amounts in the 1 - 200 $ range if ur lucky, usually more, sometimes much more. Otherwise singles from pop stars etc, or even old stars, can cost lots lots more.

You might think, hey ill rip it (classical music) and how will any recording company know i took theres muhahaha etc. Well... sadly that is not much good when your supposed to 'credit' every copyright material in your end credits (music wise) and hence, if you credit something you didnt pay the right to use, etc, it can create massive problems. (But bear in mind, im talking about guys entering commercial festivals or distributing! be it themselves or via a company.)

What to do what to do! Well, what i do, and this is a crappy budget solution i know, is I find 'midi' file versions of music (i go for piano cos it sounds much better,) and you can transfer that midi to wav (say using acid pro) and make it great. Still u will have to chase permission of the guy that made it into a midi file (but he/she is million times more likely to do it for free) and hey presto, you have some wonderful music at your disposal.

Bands, highschool bands or jazz anything, any independent music artist (who is starting out just like you) is also desperate for coverage, but not usually desperate enough to be stupid... Talk to them, and you will be surprised how many have got CD's of their stuff, or just some tracks they've written (remember dealing only with originals here) that you can maybe use. Go to colleges, ask to be allowed to address music classes with your propositions (its what i did)

Otherwise you can get surprisingly adept at using software like Fruity Loops etc, which is what we use for composing our own music sometimes.

So, you have PD midi, bands or singers (students usually) or fruityloops (for the budget film maker.)

Note you can always record any song over that time limit legally, (get ur camp friend to sing a noel coward song, and it WILL be legal) if it meets the years of copyright public domain in your country.

A surprisingly long post i know, but remember, audio is 50% of your movie, FIFTY PERCENT, and you want to keep it legal, cos not only does it mean u can do so much more with ur finished film, it makes professionals take it seriously.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

EXCELLENT collection of tips/short tutorials, Lawriejaffa!

I find your comment about reading to be especially true. If you don't read, you can't write; or rather, you can't write something worth seeing. There's exceptions, of course, but this is generally true. Also, if you read, in my experience, writing is much easier for you and comes much more naturally because you have an instinctive "feel" for how things should go together. I've been reading for as long as I can remember, I love writing (and, if I may say so, am fairly decent at it), and yet I can never really explain how I translate material from a random idea I've had to a finished story--that's why I mean by a "feel" for writing. This "feel" existed long before I took serious compositional classes, incidentally. . . so your formal education isn't necessarily important to being able to write well. It's all about reading, and what you read. Read the classics. Read obscure books. Read EVERYTHING. I can't remember where I saw this (in a book, I'm almost certain, though :P), but the author said he read everything from the newspaper to the labels on cans in the grocery store. It's not hard to read everything you come in contact with and it'll do more for your writing abilities than anything else.

Again, excellent work Lawriejaffa, this is stuff that SHOULD be part of any filmmaker's subconsciousness, and yet is overlooked completely far too often. Five stars, two thumbs up, or the equivalent, keep up the good work!
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.