How Long?

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

scootermcdow

How Long?

Post by scootermcdow »

Just wondering, do you think that 6 months is pleanty of time to create a feature film (including writing the script)?
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: How Long?

Post by UFProductions »

If you have the right dedication and work at it, by all means, just so long as you don't get too ambitious.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Adam

RE: How Long?

Post by Adam »

If your actors are avaliable ie most weekends then it should be ok
pan-modo_pictures
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pan-modo_pictures »

Depends on how good you plan on making it. Sure, it's possible to make a feature in six months, but it's not easy. On your level (assuming your not working with producers,casting directors,screenwriters,stroryboard artists, etc) it would not be easy, and the end result would probably not be very good because.
-It would be very unorganized
-Alone, it would take a long time to get permits, find a cast, scout locations, etc
-Assuming you have to set up light, and all the equipment up yourself, it would take a long time to produce

however

With the right attitude, a simple story, a simple setting, and a dedicated cast and crew, it would be possible.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

I agree with pan-modo pictures, and I'll say that the dedicated cast and crew is the single most important piece. If the cast keeps skipping shooting days because they have other plans and the crew doesn't work well, messes around, or just plain doesn't show up, you won't get a movie made.

If you've got the cast and crew, go for it!
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

thats by far the greatest problem because for one of my movies 6 people were supposed to show up and only 2 did, one went to buy fish, the another person went to meet a friend hes never seen before... (aka lame excuses because they dont really want to do it, be careful and make sure that only people who want to be part of it are in it!
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

Actors and crew are the most important part, my first feature length script I wrote is still shelved, because of committment issues. I would say though if you haven't started writing yet, focus on a good story first off.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

I'd say no, the standard feature length screenplay is at minimum 90 pages. Now to write a reasonable 90 page screenplay would take two months minimum and that is writing for probably 4-6 hours everyday. So two months down. By the time you cast your film, secure locations, work out the kinks in the script, and get equipment and a crew together you are down another month. Now, you can shoot a feature in three months, but that is shooting everyday (except for maybe Sundays) for 12 hours. It's possible, but not plausable if you want it to be of any quality.
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

I have written 100 page scripts in 7 days before, for a first draft. But on the final draft it usually takes about 2 months to tighten everything up.
theChad

Post by theChad »

You have to express to you're cast and crew how important showing up is. I've worked on projects where I went as far as to making Call an hour earlier than I wanted them there just so they would show up on time. And I've even hoped in a van and driven the whole cast to my location just so they would be there.

It can be done in 6 months assuming you have a team, even if it is a few friends, as long as you aren't doing everything yourself, because then it is nearly impossible.
{[url=http://movies.chocolate4breakfast.com]Movie For Breakfast[/url]} - Powered by Dr. Pepper and an unhealthy love of late night movie viewings
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

I would also reccomend having a few incentives for the crew, like for instance on shorts I have done I buy a 30 pack of beer for after or during the shoot, providing everyone is doing what the are suppossed too, and of legal age.
theChad

Post by theChad »

Yes! incentive, people work better when they think they are getting something in return.
craft services is a good idea - feed them constantly just like the actual movies. You get fed like every 3 or 4 hours on set. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. The best part of working on a movie is not having to buy food for a few months.
{[url=http://movies.chocolate4breakfast.com]Movie For Breakfast[/url]} - Powered by Dr. Pepper and an unhealthy love of late night movie viewings
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

theChad wrote:Yes! incentive, people work better when they think they are getting something in return.
craft services is a good idea - feed them constantly just like the actual movies. You get fed like every 3 or 4 hours on set. .
That depends on the set, I know people that make films that are distributed but work on suck low budgets, they maybe provide a snack to the crew or the beer later, and thats all. Even if it's an "actual movie" does not mean the production has money to spend, on craft services.
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

ill jus giv the people cheese crackers... LOl yes incentives are good but still most epople jus dont really care, and thats the worst part...
moviemaster

Post by moviemaster »

Incentives are great in moderation, but be sure to set goals each day of filming. If they screw off, despite every tactic you use, just call it a day. If it is repeatedly happening, then they dont care about the movie. Make sure also to plan a premier showing party.
Beyond Reality
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

ya thats usually a good idea, the problem is of course finding people who care about the movie