Mockumentary idea

This forum is for the discussion of scripts and storyboards. Post your hints, tips or requests here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Fewof_lamb

Mockumentary idea

Post by Fewof_lamb »

I am planning to make a mockumentary, or series of short mockumentaries. (For those who didn't know, a Mockumentary is like a documentary except that it is fictional. Everyone are actors and the events aren't real. Some examples include "This is Spinal Tap" and "The Office")

I plan for it to be very character based with the film to revolve around the character's relationships and interactions. I would be using people aged from 13 - 20 years old. Most of the people are capable at acting and can improvise well. Quite a bit of the story would be told through interviews between the camera and a character and through events that the "documentary crew" catch (Similar to "The Office")

I am after some ideas that i could develop into into a film. They don't have to be grand masterpieces of scripting. Even small suggestions on a setting or specific characters would be of great help. So if anyone can suggest any ideas, i would be very greatful.
"there's only room for one number one... and i'm that number one!" - Chad Rockman

Davo
Akron Films
Victoria, Australia

E-mail: fewof_lamb@hotmail.com
naflish

RE: Mockumentary idea

Post by naflish »

what about a serial killer who is in hiding (for years) and u interview his friends as to investigate what kind of person he is, his dark past or something, together with some 'friends video' which got his face blurred.try make it creepy. and then after the interview, few days later, the person got killed. this led to another interview and then again, the interviewed person also got killed. make it feels creepy.. how about that?
}}}{{{{
Fewof_lamb

Post by Fewof_lamb »

Sounds cool and creepy but i think i may want to go for a more comedic piece. It is a good suggestion and it may be able to help me with another thing i am working on.
Adam

Post by Adam »

How about an australian version of 'Little Britain' check the bbc if haven't seen it.
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

u can make it about someone who is obsessed with something...
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch
Fewof_lamb

Post by Fewof_lamb »

I love "Little Britain". You don't need an Australian version, that show is universal. I love it
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

Just a comment: "Mail Order Wife" is a mockumentary, and even though I heard it was a mockumentary, it didn't really click in until about the middle of the movie. It looked so real that I started seriously wigging out, until my buddy whispered: relax, it's a mockumentary !
moviemaster

Post by moviemaster »

Ha ha! That's hilarious, i had the exact same response!
Beyond Reality
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

We actually just got finished shooting a mockumentary, but you end up shooting so many interviews and so much footage that editing it all together seems like a real daunting task, so I'm still putting it off :\

Anyways it's basically just about a trio of slackers living in the Iowa countryside who plan to, of all things, clean up an old canoe and float it in a pool. I put together the beginning credits and the ending sequence, and I think it's gonna turn out looking really good.
Fewof_lamb

Post by Fewof_lamb »

I think i have decided on what i will do. I had been trying to think of an idea revolving around a fictional character but nothing seemed to work. Then i decided to revolve it around a fictional event. I was wandering around my house on morning (as i often do when i am bored) when i started singing a few lines out of "Youth of the nation" by POD. The lines "Everybody was running but i couldn't hear nothing except, gun blasts, it happened so fast....etc." got stuck in my head I thought about a mockumentary about it.

So my idea is a mockumentary about a fictional school shooting. It would be told through interviews with students and teachers, police reports, photos/video of the scene and a small amount of home video shot by the shooter. I would not use any reenactments or "footage" of the shooting as i think it would defeat the mood and would seem disrespectful. I would aim for a serious mood and aim to question why this things happen (without giving any answers).

what do you think?
"there's only room for one number one... and i'm that number one!" - Chad Rockman

Davo
Akron Films
Victoria, Australia

E-mail: fewof_lamb@hotmail.com