Digital Blood (HERE!)

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Digital Blood (HERE!)

Post by maj_barnes »

Well, I made my first digital blood using Adobe Photoshop, and WMM. Here it is; it's a cloud. I have 4 different verisons of it:

-slow, early dissapation
-slow, late dissapation
-speed doubled, early dissapation
-speed doubled, late dissapation

I made the blood as bright as possible (but it still is kinda dark), so you could make it as bright or as dark as possible. Also, it might not be as fast as you need it even though it's speeded up, so just go ahead and speed it up (this is to ward off people that want to complain about that).

I have to warn you, this is DIGITAL it will not look as good as the real thing.

Here's a link to my site, but it's on geocities, so it'd be a great service if you just leave your email.

Blood Download

I'm planning on making more, so I can have more varied blood shots.

(I didn't steal this one! :wink: )

Just complain about everything besides the shade, and speed please!
Yes, I want you to complain about it!
asapfilms

Post by asapfilms »

did you make this because of the stuff you saw in my film? Just wondering... Besides that stuff we cant complain about, I like it, are we allowed to save it? I already did but if you dont want it taken or something?
ASAP Films
www.asapfilms.com
Amateur Screenplays, Amateur Productions
ZombieKrieg2005

Post by ZombieKrieg2005 »

clcl my only complaint is that its quite regular. if you could do some side versions that would be ace. I couldnt do half as well so my complaints prob not worth much but well done any way. Keep the good work

ps. Thought the shade was quite good, would look great for a gut shot.
http://lyssophobiaproductio.tripod.com/
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

This is out of hand, y duz everybody want to do digital stuff now, digital blood???
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

This is out of hand, y duz everybody want to do digital stuff now, digital blood???
Sometimes people prefer to do post production digitally. perhaps it was something he wanted to try and see if he could accomplish it. or perhaps he just wanted to see how it would look? what does it matter, i guess you could always use your OWN blood if you felt that strongly about it.... :?

anyways, maj_barnes, ive never really seen anything like what you've done, but im sure it would look fairly good on film? if i get a chance, maybe ill try using it and see what it looks like. or if you can, post a clip.
meking14

Post by meking14 »

DEDFX wrote:This is out of hand, y duz everybody want to do digital stuff now, digital blood???
he'll do what the f**** he wants!!!!!!!!!!!! shut the h*** up!
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

ya digital is the future, anyways i would use a black bg cause the blue might not work to great when keying, and try some other blood splatter design.
wildabeast009

Post by wildabeast009 »

Well, to me, it just doesn't look like or behave like blood at all. It looks like a random flash of red. Blood doesn't move or behave anything like that. When you have a person shot more than once, real blood won't look the same everytime. It's just not very convincing. Try to not make it so round and even.
You know what's a fun game? Take 3 Excedrin PM's and see if you can whack off before you fall asleep. You always win, that's the best part about the game. -Cal, [i]The 40 Year Old Virgin[/i]
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

"Digital is for fat kids who don't want to get off their computers and have no creativity" -a wise man once said. (John the Gospel, 382 the Genesis)
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

actualy you can be more creative on the PC plus you can control how you want stuff too look and behave.
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

use the best of both worlds
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Personally I'm going to have to go with DEDFX on this one. Amateur films aren't supposed to be proffesional work but you should try to get it as real as possible. There are plenty of creative ways to make blood and blood squibs, I remember when we filmed "Forgotten" we mixed red food coloring with flour and lots of water, then we put it in a weed killer sprayer and it worked fine (except one time we pumped it to many times and it shot out really far). Some people might like digitalizing things but the fact is, it doesn't look good. If you want to try something that isn't out of your league do it and if it doesn't look good...that's what re-shoots are for!
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Thanks, a lot of CGI ruins films and is out of the question, take the movie Signs for example. Did you see when that guy cut the fingers off the alien under the door? It could have been much better with a foam hand, they just use some CGI for the ships which is okay in my book cuz u cant float a fake UFO without CGI and say why not DGI this ot that etc. Sometimes when u see CGI it will make some people say "wow thats is some crappy SFX" I mean really, some movies on Sci-Fi have $hitty CGI and make people change the channel. CGI is the future in Hollywood and its good they are improving. I'm just hoping in the future they won't waste money on actors and use CGI people.
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

Ive always liked the good'ol fashion blood pump myself. Me and Wildabeast actually used that recently on a movie for some blood flying out the back of someones head. I just used a pump for pumping one of those huge exercise balls, it looked pretty good. The only time i think digital blood is really called for is a scene with ton of quick, fast bullet hits. To do 15 machine gun hits on one guy with a blood pump would just be a time consuming pain in the a** that probably wouldnt work all that well anyways. So for those situations, it can be very neccessary, but about 90% of the time, some physical, liquid fake blood is just going to look more convincing.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

It's too perfect.
trabre2003

Post by trabre2003 »

I thinks that the blood needs to look a little less "misty" and a little more "liquidy" and "splattery"(is that a word?). Aside from that, i hope to see more of it. as it is, I wouldn't use it, but with a little improvement, i might be able to use something like that. I think there need to be a few squirts of blood jutting out to the sides as well. When you finish your next piece of work, show it to us. I look forward to seeing it.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Okay, glad for the comments, I'll try to use all of them.

The only reason why I'm using digital is so I don't stain any expensive uniforms. Plus, like Mr. Anderson said, it's kinda hard to show someone getting shot 15 times using a weedsprayer.

I really did notice how perfect it did look, so I'm trying to go for a more "splattery" kind of blood next time.
"Digital is for fat kids who don't want to get off their computers and have no creativity"
Well, don't you have to be creative to make something from scratch? And I'm skinny so I wouldn't know :P . Besides, where's the creativity in hooking a tube to a weedsprayer and pulling a trigger?

Edit:
And ASAP, I didn't really do it because of your film, but that was some of the motivation, I was just bored in summer school mostly.

I remember this one, it would be pretty good for a sword hit, you might have to speed it up though.
Blood Spurt
(Not mine!)
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Bad news:

I may need to do another one of this blood test, I had some trouble keying it (the blue is working fine) the black bars to the side of the picture seem to remain, so I need to do some stuff to remove them.

Edit:

Blood Test here!

Blood Test
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

I still think it looks fake, whenever you do something digitally, u run the risk of it looking fake, and this looks fake!
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
-Isaiah 40:28
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Digital Blood (HERE!)

Post by maj_barnes »

maj_barnes wrote:I have to warn you, this is DIGITAL it will not look as good as the real thing.
READ!!!!!!

I said that already!
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: Digital Blood (HERE!)

Post by Radiate »

So then why did you do it?
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
-Isaiah 40:28
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

maj_barnes wrote:The only reason why I'm using digital is so I don't stain any expensive uniforms. Plus, like Mr. Anderson said, it's kinda hard to show someone getting shot 15 times using a weedsprayer.
You REALLY need to read.

You're just beating a dead horse. You don't like digital blood, fine, good. I don't need your opinion of the situation, I can form my own. Just because I want to use it doesn't mean you have to, I'm not forcing you to do anything. I just offering a video of some digital blood to whoever wants it!
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Well, don't you have to be creative to make something from scratch? And I'm skinny so I wouldn't know Razz . Besides, where's the creativity in hooking a tube to a weedsprayer and pulling a trigger? -Maj

I'm pretty much talking about CGI. People who are creative and want something to looks right will make a sculpture or foam cast. "Whats the creativity in hooking a tube to a weedsprayer and pulling a trigger?" -Time and dedication. You buy materials, mix karo syrup, food coloring then ask yourself how powerful you want the squirt. Most People like using the weedsprayer effect instead of digital blood because it looks much better instead of feeling cool that you can make bad looking SFX on ur comp with a few clicks like the other lazy hollywood editors.

Also hitting a guy with 15 bullets would be possible by using squibs, but many people don't have access to these and you could use a weed sprayer, but it is a pain.
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

You know, i think this topic is going in a bad direction. It seemed to me like maj barnes wanted some critiques and minor complaints on the digital blood to learn how to improve it. But now everyone is just bashing him for using digital effects. Take it easy people, real blood and digital blood both have their uses.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
wildabeast009

Post by wildabeast009 »

The second video looks much better. It still doesn't look as real, but not bad. I still would make the blood more chaotic and random, though. Make several differnt variations to mix it up.
You know what's a fun game? Take 3 Excedrin PM's and see if you can whack off before you fall asleep. You always win, that's the best part about the game. -Cal, [i]The 40 Year Old Virgin[/i]