Dramatic movie

This forum is for the discussion of scripts and storyboards. Post your hints, tips or requests here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

trabre2003

Dramatic movie

Post by trabre2003 »

I came up with an idea for a movie a few days ago, and thought it was an interesting idea, so I thought about what the plot could be, and here's what i've got so far: a guy is happily married to a woman he loves very much. This woman's name for now is Hillary. We'll call the guy Scott for now. Anyway, Scott wakes up one day and notices that nothing that a house with a woman living in it would normally have is there. This slowly leads him to the realisation that his wife is a hallucination. He was able to mantain this illusion in his head for a while because... well, let's just say he didn't exactly keep in contact with his family after graduating high school. He talks to a female friend of his, named Katie, about this. (I have to make sure Katie says at some point that she never met his wife, i'm thinking maybe they're co-workers) She takes him to get a drink to help get over his extreme emotional stress (Imagine if you found out your wife or girlfriend wasn't real). Eventually he feels better and asks Katie out for a date, now that he knows he is a bachelor. The rest of the movie would be about how Scott and Katie go through the whole process of getting married-Dating, proposing, engagement and finally marriage, all the while Scott keeps hallucinating the other girl, and she won't leave him alone. Katie helps him deal with this issue as they date and get engaged. At the end of the movie, after Scott and Katie are married, there would be a scene where Scott hallucinates Hillary one last time, and she tells him that although she loves him more than anything in the world, she wants more than anything else for him to be happy, and will let him love and cherish Katie in peace. It's a work in progress, but i'm definitely open to ideas. What do you guys think?
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Dramatic movie

Post by Mr.Anderson »

I think thats definitely a good idea, its a little like that movie Solaris, but that movie sucked. Your idea sounds like it will be much better. I think you should also focus on the weird/creepiness of his fantasy wife appearing out of nowhere. Maybe a good scene would be him on a date with Katie and he constantly sees his wife hovering over Katies shoulder. Although, to be hallucinating another human being for years would kinda suggest that this guy is severely schitzophrenic and probably shouldnt be let out of a padded room. But, all in all, your idea sounds pretty interesting and i think if you do it well you could have a nice creepy little Sixth Sense like movie.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
trabre2003

Post by trabre2003 »

Yeah, it's also a little reminiscent of A Beautiful Mind, but that movie wasn't romantic.
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

ya it does seem a bit liek solaris, it definetly sounds good but if u want to add a twist make it that Hillary was actually real or became real or somethin, if u want although itll probably be better if u leave it teh way it is.
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch
trabre2003

Post by trabre2003 »

I never saw Solaris. What's it about?
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

I dont even know. Thats how bad it sucked. All i got from it was that George Clooneys dead wife kept showing up as a real person, thats about as much as i could understand. Tried a little too hard to be "artsy".
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
the_satanic_COokie

Post by the_satanic_COokie »

Pretty clean idea, but as far as stories go I dont see it maintaining any interest after he confronts Kate with the fact that his wife is a hallucination, theres got to be a major epiphany somewhere near the end or the audience will just kinda be annoyed with this imaginary woman that keeps popping up...

I mean the wife leaving him alone would kind of be the epiphany but that doesn't solve the problem of, even though our main character is a normal guy he's CRAZY...

you would lose alot of interest if you never explain why he imagined a wife, and why he can't shun his imaginary wife even though he knows she's not real...most of the time if people know something isn't real it goes away, to the audience the second we know she's not real we're not going to take any thing that happens with that character in it seriously...

maybe you should make it unclear to scott whether or not his wife really is a hallucination?

i dunno...not really my genre hahaha
trabre2003

Post by trabre2003 »

Those are some interesting ideas i'll definitely consider. And I actually had a scene that addresses the crazy issue where the guy goes to a psychiatrist and asks for help, and the psychiatrist(Man that is one annoying word to write) says that since the guy loves his hallucinatory wife, and doesn't really want her to go away, any medication wouldn't help because most subject want their hallucinations to go away, and he does not. But like I said, it's a work in progress, and i'll probably change some things around. Thanks for your input everybody!
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

ya i think it has potential but also easy to mess up so be careful make sure it doesnt become too repetative, and through in a few twists without totally skewing the story.
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch