DV resolution and format.

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

DV resolution and format.

Post by John Groshko »

In my next film, I want to edit it in the DV video format on my computer. I've never used the DV format before. (I don't own a digital camera, and all of my other films have been done in different formats eg.)

I use Premiere 6.5 to edit my movies, and when I go to export some test footage to the Microsoft AVI DV format, it only alows me to set the resolution to 720X480.

Is this the highest resolution for DV video? What do I do if I want to export it in a 16X9 aspect ratio, without having to stretch the pixels? Are the pixels supposed to be stretched?

Am I trying to change somthing that can't be changed? Is this the way DV video is supposed to be?
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

As far as I know DV video is a fixed resolution and aspect ratio.

I haven't done anything in a 16:9 ratio but I'm sure others have. Do people just add back bars top and bottom?

I think I'm right in saying that DVD is a fixed resolution as well but that you can set a flag which tells the player what type of video is contained within that fixed resoultion (ie 4:3, 16:9) It then does any stretching required before sending to the TV.

If anyone thinks the above info is rubbish please say :)
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

You can only film in proper 16:9 with a DV camera if it's a 3CCD camera, and it should import in to your computer at the correct resolution.

If your camera doesn't have 3CCD written anywhere on it and you're using a 16:9 resolution then you're just stretching the image, and lowering your resolution.

720x480 (720x576 for PAL formats) is the greatest resolution you can achieve unless you wanna go professional :D
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]