PYRO! Easy shell hit tutorial

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

BlakJakDavy

PYRO! Easy shell hit tutorial

Post by BlakJakDavy »

Hey! OutcastJiob and I were playing with fire and created a realistic shell hit that can be done at home with consumer products. We filmed the resulting explosion and it will be here soon. (Can someone tell me the best codec to use? As a DV avi it is 19 mb :P).

The first step is to get a small 12 or 16 fl. oz. plastic bottle that is DRY on the inside with a screw-on cap. Crush enough powder out of some fireworks to fill the bottle about half an inch on the bottom. Now take a sparkler and remove the wooden stick that you hold it with. Poke a hole in the lid of the bottle and put the sparkler in so that it extends down into the bottle but with enough poking out the top to give you time to run away. Screw the lid back onto the bottle and shake it so that the powder spreads and sticks to the walls.

Now, bury it so that the cap is below ground level but not covered in dirt.
Light it, and RUN!!! It will make a loud bang, so if you are in the UK, do it in the country or around guy fawkes night. In the US, the country or around July 4th.

If you have a blue/green screen, you can do this effect in front of it so that you can composite it into your production.
Last edited by BlakJakDavy on Tue May 10, 2005 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

RE: PYRO! Easy shell hit tutorial

Post by Epsilon »

In the US, do it in a desert or miles away from people. Because people love to report explosions and you'll have a flock of angry Ambulance drivers lecturing you! Besides the fact you cannot legally buy fireworks in most states, anyway!
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

In the US, the country or around July 4th.
Or in BlakJackDavy's backyard. . . .

Really, Epsilon? I'm in CA, and while fireworks aren't legal in my county, the next county over allows them (but you can only buy around the 4th).

Never had a problem with neighbors calling the police. . .even with the rather large boom this particular recipe makes :D
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
fi11m-m4k3r

Post by fi11m-m4k3r »

Lol, i cant even use the SMALLEST firecrackers... :(
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RE: PYRO! Easy shell hit tutorial

Post by Gyro »

Epsilon wrote:In the US, do it in a desert or miles away from people. Because people love to report explosions and you'll have a flock of angry Ambulance drivers lecturing you! Besides the fact you cannot legally buy fireworks in most states, anyway!
I can!
@seanbagley
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Re: RE: PYRO! Easy shell hit tutorial

Post by windog »

UK, UK Go UK!!! Its LEGAL!!! Ha Ha !!!
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

I live near coal minings so they blast with TNT everyday and the whole town shakes, so when im setting off my homemade stuff nobody even notices it. =D
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Re: RE: PYRO! Easy shell hit tutorial

Post by Epsilon »

OutcastJiob wrote:Never had a problem with neighbors calling the police. . .even with the rather large boom this particular recipe makes :D
:( You'd be surprised what happens around here. Even the professionals have a tough time keeping people in line when a tiny poof goes off...
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

where can you get the powder from?
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Legally or illegally?

Legally, there are companies that sell explosive powders for firearm projectiles and/or pyrotechnics businesses. It's not as simple as click and purchase. Typically, there are background checks processed and you can only order by the lot. Explosives also require special hazmat shipping.

Illegally, well there were a couple LA black market businesses that were recently busted in the past couple months. Thousands of imported Chinese pyrotechnics were confiscated and streets had to be closed and secured. Few people have successfully house-manufactured their own soups, and sparingly have accidentally burned up themselves in the process. It's a subdued version of the underground drug trades. The only difference is, with powders you are convicted as a terrorist! Since 9-11 this method is getting trickier.

If you live in one of those wondrous places that allow fireworks, you could disassemble the items and use the powder within. It's dangerous to mess around with fireworks like this, unless you have explicit knowledge of what you are doing!
fi11m-m4k3r

Post by fi11m-m4k3r »

Epsilon, You sure do know your way around gunpowder :P
Just a question, how do you get your powder? ;)
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

hahaha! Thats a good question! 8)
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I don't buy powders...

I buy ammo blanks at reenactments, but that's it.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Yes Epsilon does know his way around gunpowder :P
BlakJakDavy

Post by BlakJakDavy »

yeah, obviously you need to know what you are doing when you make one of these. I crush the powder out of fireworks, personally, but you don't need that much. The air pressure in the bottle is behind most of the force in the device. I used to live in the UK, where everything is legal (backyard bonfires? heck yes.) Bit dissapointing that there are so many restrictions here when guns are legal, lol. Anyway, I'll get the video up here as soon as I can get hosting and compress it.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

Guns being legal vs fireworks being legal. . . I'll take guns :D

Here's the video, as promised by Davy, and posted by meee!

Clicky

First part is real-time, second part is a 350% time stretch.

I think the explosion looks pretty sweet. . . .we'll probably be using this type of effect in our upcoming war movie!

Oh, by the way. . .the little crackly sparks after the main explosion are there because I dumped the contents of some generic sparking fireworks in with the powder. In hindsight it wasn't such a great idea, but oh well.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Reminds me of a cluster bomb.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Looks great. Besides the fact shell impacts do not really ever emit flames... I like it. :D
ct_bullet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ct_bullet »

About fireworks.........
Do u have to use rockets, or is it any kind of firework, even the crappy ones that look like a fountain??
movie fanatic

http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com/
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

Yeah, any old fireworks will do. Davy and I have used everything from piccolo petes to ground bloom flowers to sparklers. Get enough of the powder, and just about any firework will do the job.

Hehe, yeah, fire in a shell is a bit inaccurate, but the fire is pretty minimal, considering.
CptSmashy

Post by CptSmashy »

Looks really good.

Have you thought about utilizing a model rocket engine ignitor to set it off instead of a sparkler?

If it worked, it would be a little safer.
BlakJakDavy

Post by BlakJakDavy »

Yes we have considered that, but Outcast's igniter systems are all broken right now...

About the flames - watching this in real life, you hardly see them at all, and its only really evident in the footage for a few frames. The initial fire may have been assisted by the baloon filled with air duster behind the bottle that we added just for fun. It popped early, but may have helped out a bit. After that, you see really bright flashes from the still intact lightning flash we used to set the whole thing off.

We have done one of these completely buried before, and you see even less fire than in this above-ground test.