BlackHawkDown-Alec look here

This forum is for the discussion of scripts and storyboards. Post your hints, tips or requests here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

BlackHawkDown-Alec look here

Post by Radiate »

This is for a school presentation Almondo99 and I are doing:

U.S. aid to Somalia in the early 1990’s

• Everything started out as a simple mission. We were supposed to restore hope in Somalia.
• Helicopter flies over explodes, etc…
• But the Black hawk helicopter was shot down.
• The person behind this was Mohamed Farah aidid.
• He was a clan leader who wanted to take control of the government. He would kill anyone or anything that got in the way of his path to power.
• Aidid set out propaganda: first he would kill your family, then he enslaves you, and last he forces you to convert your religion.
Beginning:
• Somalia was starving and thirsty due to a drought and a famine.
• President George Bush sent U.S. troops there to help them.(give them food, clothes, money, etc…) It was called “operation restore hope.â€
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
-Isaiah 40:28
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: BlackHawkDown-Alec look here

Post by Almondo99 »

grand, yall shooda come to school
little short eh?
The Illuminated | The Matrix Revalations
-Production | Pre-production
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

......um........whatever..........is it good enough?
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

i guess
like avatar?
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

Yeah, its kind of weird though.......
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

its gir!
anyway, the script couldve been longer. I no ur sick with the sniffles and such, but its kindof .....not good.
Mike says:u little queer u are going to make us fail u f***
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I did a Black Hawk Down Presentation for ROTC class last year, I got a 99 out of 100 (it was 23 minutes long instead of 9) anyways, it looks like you have alot of stuff but let me give you my points I used (you have to wait till I get home I'm at my grandparents house doing an interview). I started out with an attention grabber, I used the trailer from Black Hawk Down, then I went in to explain the two groups involed (I used a 10th Mountain GI Joe, but if you have the stuff you should dress up). I went on to explain background info leading up to the battle.Then I used a bunch of transparences of maps of the battle, and explained them (got alot of moans and groins talking about the bullet going through the guys leg and exploding his... stuff). But if you can, use powerpoint, it's less expensive than buying transparences.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

Sounds cool, we're gonna (try) to have a helicopter come "flying" over out station thing. They sort of ruched this huge project on us, so we only have 5 days to work, so quick help will be appreciated!
Mushiman

Post by Mushiman »

ROFL!!!
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/derkoi][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/derkoi.png[/img][/url]
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Alright, before you start doing this YOU NEED TO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. Aidid DID NOT enslave and convert civilians. Here's how it happened: Aidid was the top military advisor/leader for Mohammed Siad Barre, the Communist dictator of Somalia who had been ruling for several decades. Aidid organized the SNA (Somali Nation Army) and overthrew Barre, claiming victory for his clan, the Habr Gidr clan.

Now, you have to understand that Somalia has been ruled by clans for centuries, so the other clans took this declaration as an insult, and Somalia was plunged into civil war as a result of these factions vying for control of the country. Aidid's chief weapon in this war was starvation; he had his soldiers sieze international food shipments at the ports to starve out the members of the other clans, which resulted in nearly 300,000 civilians dying of starvation. Of course, the UN intervened. However, the US was the chief provider of military resources for the op (Operation Restore Hope,) providing over 20,000 Marines. Food was delivered, order temporarily restored.

However, when the bulk of the Marines, which were basically holding the warring clans at bay, began to pull out, fighting escalated. The attacks that led up to the June 1992 slaughter of 24 Pakistani soldiers were suspected as acts perpetrated by the Habr Gidr, although this has never been proven, so when these Pakistanis were slaughtered, the culprit was held as Aidid. This has also never been proven.

The clan leaders knew that this was an incredibly tense situation, and held a meeting at the house of Abdi Hassan Awale, one of Aidid's top advisors. The meeting was made up of clan elders and civilians, concerned of Somalia's future and trying to come up with a solution to calm the UN and bring peace to their country. Cobra helicopters fired dozens of TOW missiles into the house killing several clan members and severely wounding others before US Marines stormed the building and took the survivors prisoner. Aidid did not turn the people against the US, the US turned the people against the US. Of course this enraged the Somali people, who were under the impression that they had come to help, and were now slaughtering them. They felt brutalized and harassed by the choppers that constantly flew over their city, with wash from the rotors flattening homes and tearing children out of the hands of their mothers.

Admiral Jonathan Howe, representative to the UN for the operation in Somalia, placed the blame solely on Aidid for the June slaughter of Pakistani soldiers, putting out a reward for him for several thousand dollars. Not long after, Washington gave the green light for Task Force Ranger, a task force of over four hundred men from the Night Stalkers, Army Rangers and Delta Force, to setup in Mogadishu and capture Aidid, under the command of General William Garrison. It was only to take a few weeks, but their presence in Mogadishu had driven him underground. This particular mission on October 3 was undertaken to capture two of Aidid's top advisors, who would hopefully give up Aidid. The information that was given to Garrison was confirmed by several sources, and had to be acted on quickly.

Four Ranger chalks were to rope in via blackhawk and set up a four corner perimenter around the target building, making sure nobody got in or out. Delta teams would land at the target building via Little Bird helicopters, storm the building and take everyone inside prisoner. A large ground convoy was to hold a few blocks down from the target building, and roll up when Delta gave the signal that they were ready to go. The Rangers would then collapse back to the target building after Delta and the prisoners had been loaded up and they would all exfil back to base.

The first of many problems was the injury of PFC Todd Blackburn, who missed the rope coming out of his chalk's (Chalk 4) blackhawk and was severely injured. Two Delta medics were called to the site, who loaded him onto a stretcher and had a few men from Chalk 4 cover them as they made it back to the convoy. He was obviously in terrible shape, and would have died if they had not gotten him out. Lt. Col. Daniel McKnight, commander of the convoy, ordered three Humvees to take him back to base. It was on this convoy that the force suffered their first KIA, Dominic Pilla, who as shot in the face as his Humvee turned a corner. The loss of three hummers to the main convoy caused a long delay, which cost them much more than simply time.

Unfortunately, the Somali militia had been training at Libyan terrorist camps on the best way to take down a helicopter. Blackhawks are flying tanks, and the only way to take them down is a well placed rocket to the tail rotor. Four Blackhawks were shot down that day, two of them going down in the city. Had they gone down in flames the 100 man strike force would have gone back to base and mounted a rescue operation later. This was not the case. The first Blackhawk to go down was Super Six One, piloted by Cliff "Elvis" Wolcott. Wolcott and his copilot, Donovan "Bull" Briley, were killed in the crash. There were two Delta snipers that made it out of the crash, one that died from a severe stomach wound, and there were two crew chiefs who were so badly wounded that they could not be removed from the bird.

Obviously this was a severe situation, so the new plan was for the Rangers and Delta operators to get to the crash site on foot and establish a perimeter until the convoy could arrive. Due to bad directions from the QRF birds orchestrating ground forces, the convoy suffered casualties so severe that they were forced to return to base. So, the ground forces at the first crash site holed up in adjacent buildings until more support could arrive.

Super Six Four, piloted by Michael Durant, was ordered to take Six One's place minutes after it was shot down. Six Four was also shot down, landing rightside up, unlike Six One which had crashed onto its side. Both Durant and his copilot survived the initial crash, as did their crew chiefs, although they were so severely wounded that they would die before help could arrive. Because the Rangers, Delta and ground convoy were tied up getting to the first crash site, the second had no support. So, two Delta snipers, Randy Shugart and Gary Gordon, volunteered to setup a perimeter and hold off attackers until support could arrive. The snipers got Durant out safely, but his copilot who had pulled himself out of the crash earlier could not be found. They laid Durant in a position to defend their rear as they defended the front of the chopper. A mob had gathered, and the two snipers were all that were holding them at bay. Unfortunately they were eventually killed, but they had given Durant time for an Aidid militia commander to reach the crash and take Durant prisoner, saving him from the mod that most certainly would have killed him. These two snipers were awarded the Medal of Honor, and were the first recipients of the award since the Vietnam War.

Meanwhile, Garrison was organizing an armored convoy made up of Pakistani, Indian, Malaysian and members of the 10th Mountain Division to go in and rescue the Rangers and Delta at the first crash site. This convoy reached them, but they had to take the time to cut the front of the Blackhawk in half so that they could get to the body of Wolcott (US soldiers never leave a man behind, dead or alive.) This cost them several hours, and they were not ready to leave until early in the morning of October 4. Because there was no room left on the APCs, many of the Rangers and Delta were forced to run out on foot.

Like I said, get your goddamned facts straight because this looks like it was written by a seven year old. This event is one of the most important influences of US foreign policy today, and it should be treated as such.
Last edited by SgtPadrino on Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

Thanks for the info!
This was just posted so we could have it for class, because Radiate was sick.....
We'll be sure to revise it with this new facts.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

And another thing, don't even think about calling either of these operations failures (Operation Restore Hope and the op to capture Aidid were two completely different things) Operation Restore Hope accomplished exactly what it was supposed to; it was after the op was over that things escalated further. The op to capture Aidid was left unfinished, it wasn't a failure. Washington simply got cold feet because of the mission that spiraled out of control. That mission wasn't a failure either - we accomplished what we set out to do. I mean Christ the very least you could do is read the book (I'm guessing you watched the movie but didn't bother to pay attention)
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

I think I was the only one that read the book, and I used the back part (sources) for info. I didn't think the movie was that accurate, like a lot of war movies...SPR's plot doesn't seem believable...
Anyway, can you explain how Operation Restore Hope wasn't a failure, a lot of the food didn't get to the civilians, almost all of it went to Aidid, and then the civilians fought against us.
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

I just used the information our other partner gave me, they both rammed
it on me in one night when I was busy, so I typed it up quick.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

No, under the protection of Marines the food from Operation Restore Hope reached the civilians. The operation was accomplished, but like I said before the violence escalated as the Marines withdrew. This led to Operation Restore Hope II which seguewayed into Task Force Ranger as casualties mounted.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

Radiate you had an entire day to type it and weren't you sick with the flu, so you couldn't have been that busy...

Padrino, but not all of the food reached the civilians right? And did Garrison testify before the court because he abandoned the search and operation to find Aidid?
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

I wouldn't doubt that there were some shipments that were seized by Aidid's militia, but for the most part the UN was able to get food to the civilians. Garrison didn't testify in court that he abandoned the search, he took full responsibility for the battle on October 3 and 4, and there was a hearing on the case. Basically Washington got cold feet and called off the operation - there were images all over the world of dead American soldiers being dragged through the streets of Mogadishu. Clinton was basically outraged because he hadn't even been given a full briefing on the search for Aidid when the operation began, so when news of the battle got out it was a major embarrasment for the top brass, with America's elite special forces getting pinned down for eighteen hours by a ragtag group of militia (which they most certainly were not - the militia attacks were actually well coordinated and executed, with each independent squad leader being given commands by Aidid himself over the radio) In fact, something that isn't well known is that when the American soldiers occupied nearby buildings, the militia squad leaders requested mortars to be set up, but Aidid denied the request because of the fact that there were Somali families still in the buildings.

Although Clinton temporarily beefed up US presence there after the battle, the decision was made to withdraw because the operation had become much too costly. Aidid eventually died from a gunshot wound inflicted in Audust of 1996 - the day after he died, General Garrison retired.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Here was my lesson plan, I got everything right out of the book, some liberties were taken with the times since not all of them were mentioned in the book.
1.Introduction

a.Gain Attention: Play trailer of Black Hawk Down from DVD
b.Motivator: [Same as “aâ€
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

That trailer and a Black Hawk flying over will attract so much attention!
Thanks for the information!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Np, and if you know where I can find that song in the secodn trailer, I'd be sooooo happy (I got it stuck in my head).
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

Knocking on Heaven's Door, Bob Dylan. If you have iTunes you can buy it off of there.
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

Radiate you had an entire day to type it and weren't you sick with the flu, so you couldn't have been that busy...
I was sick with the flu!!!!! throwing up, etc..... I didn't really feel
like writing a big script for a fifteen minute presentation!
I spent five minutes on it, thats why it's not the greatest......
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Knocking on Heaven's Door, Bob Dylan. If you have iTunes you can buy it off of there.
Thanks.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

Argh that song is catchy...
I spent five minutes on it, thats why it's not the greatest......
Well we're gonna fix it...so that doesn't matter. Stinks you got sick then, when we have a huge project to do. We'll be able to make it we work hard...