bicycle crash

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

CORPSE GRINDER

bicycle crash

Post by CORPSE GRINDER »

How should I go about filming a severe bicycle crash that looks believable? The bike is supposed to hit a cinderblock that was thrown in the way and then crash. I suppose I could just suck it up and go for it. I could also use creative camera angles to imply the severity of the crash. Are there any techniques for a successful fall off a bike that I should know about? Let me know what you think.
"This is when I saw the dark figures moving about in the woods. I should have never tampered with the 'Book Of The Dead.' I now know that whatever it is I have resurrected through this book, is coming for me."

--The Evil Dead
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

well, you could go ahead and do it! or you could film the bike crashing then cutaway to the actor making a horrific belly flop onto the floor! and for added severity crash the shattered bike onto him! or go the sinners way and CG it!

However you do it (apart from CG) you will have to suffer a bit of pain!

goddamn it, my eyes are sore after seeing spy kid 3D in 3D glasses! that hurts the eyes.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

DO NOT CG IT!!!

Basically just do it, but put a crash mat where you're going to land (make sure it's out of frame). Then get several other angles of things such as the tire coming in contact with the cinder block, the riders face before he falls, his feet on the pedals, his hands on the handle bars, etc. Just build up the suspense. Then have one final shot of the rider bruised up and beaten, and have his bike mangled in the background, and out of focus. Then have an overhead shot showing the rider on the ground, the bike off to the side, the cinder block of course, and whatever else is surrounding the crash.

Have fun and show us the results!
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

or you can do like they did in jackass:
-use protections, you know, those hard black things for your knees, elbows, ...
-put a blood-packet on top of the protection you want (if you want it anyway)
-wear some long clothing, that will cover the protection. Make sure it's old clothing, wich may be ripped apart
-just CRASH!!
http://www.shuttlesim.be
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Yeah and wear a helmet. Hell, wear one of those leather suits that superbike racers have with the full helmet. lol, I just visualized the crash happening with all that on...
Grant

Post by Grant »

Yeah wear good padding or protection under your clothes. I would actually do it then. Just avoid hitting your head and practise how you are going to land/roll/or what ever first to get used of the motion and impact.
Do not land face first!
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

well, you CAN land face first, and the shoot the injures :p
you'll never see something more realistic for wounds, ...
http://www.shuttlesim.be
CORPSE GRINDER

Post by CORPSE GRINDER »

yeah i think i'll put on some padding beneath the tux i'll be wearing.

don't worry, i bought this tux at a thrift store for about $15. it's gonna be getting dirty, bloody, and shredded for the kind of stunts we're gonna be pulling.

i used to only do stunts in my pals' movies before i began writing and directing my own.
"This is when I saw the dark figures moving about in the woods. I should have never tampered with the 'Book Of The Dead.' I now know that whatever it is I have resurrected through this book, is coming for me."

--The Evil Dead
Sayhi

Post by Sayhi »

Good choice. CG was not an option.
-Do you expect me to talk?
-No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

When it can be done in cammera CG is never an option, unless it is a huge stunt that you couldn't pull off because of safty, but then you should have writen it in.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Go for the camera angles, and cuts! Focus the viewer to what's about to happen, by showing the cyclist peadling, then the bike that gets crashed into, then the front wheel, then the cyclist cycling towards the block, then a close up on the block, then the cyclist getting closer to the block, then a reaction of the cyclist seeing the block, close up of the block, the cyclist being thrown off his bike (Low angle looks like he's actually been launched), the bike falling over next to the cyclist falling. On the final scene showing the bike, don't forget to swap wheels over to a nicely buckled one, and have the rear spinning for continuity!

Simple as that - just a load of cuts pput together, which will give the full puicture of what's happening without it having to happen! That's how they do that kind of thing in Hollywood in the majority of movies! Old School Style!

I had to edit this post to correct spelling, because I've had 16 JD's, and it's way past my bed-time! Goodnight y'all!

[Edited on 9-8-2003 by CamClub]

And I never had a hangover either!

[Edited on 10-8-2003 by CamClub]
Moderating behind the bushes!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Yep.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Hey do the face plant if you want to wear the results for life:P