Copyright Laws

This forum is for discussing all aspects of film soundtracks.

Moderator: Moderator Team

xander3000

Copyright Laws

Post by xander3000 »

Can you use the music as long as you are not selling anything with the music in, or do you still have to contact the composer to ask? Because i have quite a few soundtracks that i want to use in my next film (which is not going to be sold) but will probably be posted online, will this infringe any copyright laws?
Meade87

RE: Copyright Laws

Post by Meade87 »

Yes this does infringe. Most will not care. However. some tight asses might try something. You will prob. have no problem as long as you are not selling it. I have used mainstream music in some of my movies, and I actually got permission. So maybe you can contact the artists and get real permission. Also if you google music in student films or music in independent films I one found this .pdf doucument from some college which told me about going to this website which you can search for the publishers contact information for anysong and it also told what you should say to them to try and get permission. -Goodluck
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
xander3000

Post by xander3000 »

Thanks, i will try getting in tough with some of the artisits
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

if your a student and use it or a school project and thats it, it will fall under the fair use law and it would be ok.
xander3000

Post by xander3000 »

We'r only doing one for a school project so i think i should make sure incase
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Remember, fair use does not prevent you from being sued, it is only a defense for the infringement AFTER you get sued. Educational use is also somewhat strictly defined. Using music in a school project is not necessarily an educational use. The music must be part of the educational value. In other words, if it is a music course, then the music could be part of the educational value. If it is for English, or a Communications class, or a film making class, then the use may not necessarily be considered educational. The music's use is incidental to the educational value of the piece.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
xander-prd

Post by xander-prd »

argh, well no1 is really going to see the film, and its not going to be sold, so do you think it would matter?
[url=http://www.jowka.com][b]Jowka-Dot-Com[/b][/url]
[b]JOWKA[/b]